Big Sur restaurants for this Saturday night

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as was suggested from Fodorites during the planning of our trip to California, we have shuffled our itinerary around and are indeed checking out of Big Bear Lake tomorrow to add a night in Big Sur on Saturday night before heading back up to Pacific Grove for 2 nights. (Still doing the dinosaur cave kayak tour in pismo beach on Saturday morning though.) We were lucky to find a room at short notice and are staying at the Big Sur Lodge Saturday night.
I know this is covered throughout various posts, but I have limited internet access and need a more consolidated answer regarding restaurants in Big Sur.
Didn't I read that there is a slightly less expensive place to eat down or up from Nepenthe?
Also, what other restaurants are recommended in Big Sur?
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:00 AM

Last time I stayed at the Big Sur Lodge, they had a very nice restaurant on their grounds with good food at fairly reasonable prices. Nepenthe is also somewhat reasonable. The restaurants at Ventana Inn and Post Ranch Inn are expensive but more of a fine dining experience. The grocery store in Big Sur Village may have a deli inside or near it. Also, if you google Big Sur Restaurants, you'll get a few more options.

Have fun!
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:27 AM
SAB

Sorry to disagree montereybob, but I don't find $14 vegetarian hamburgers and a $25 chicken breast to be reasonable. The prices at Nepenthe for dinner are only slight less expensive than Ventana.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 12:21 PM

I can't remember the cost of the meal, but we had a good dinner at the Big Sur Bakery.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Has it been suggested to have a drink or appetizer at Nepenthe to enjoy the view on the terrace? Not sure my son's will appreciate a choice dinner there, but we're looking to have the experience. Is there a less crowded time to go?
Saw the line going into Julie Pfeiffer park in the afternoon on our way down the coast last week, and it was pretty big. Thinking it may be the same at Nepenthe. ??
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

I just want to add that this is a beautiful State. At least what I've seen of it. What a treasure!
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 10:40 PM
SAB

By all means have a drink at Nepenthe and enjoy the view if it is still light out; the view from the Ventana terrace is also quite wonderful. I just think the quality of dinner at Nepenthe is not that good considering what they charge. just my opinion. The suggestion of Big Sur Bakery is a good one.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 06:58 AM

I agree with SAB that the quality of the food is not up to the prices at Nepente, so drinks and appetizers are a good idea. Especially if you have youngsters.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 07:02 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I stop at Nepenthe on every trip and have always enjoyed my food. I usually order a burger, sandwich or salad there and I've never been disappointed. It's not haute cuisine but good food and great views.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 07:08 AM

hibiscushouse, I am so happy to hear that you're enjoying our wonderful state! Nothing like it! Let us know how the rest of the trip goes. Where are you headed next after Big Sur? If you do stop at Nepenthe be sure to visit the gift shop down the hill. They have some lovely handcrafted items.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

sounds like a plan. Thanks for the input. Looking forward to it.
Silly Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo tonight.
Kayaking in Pismo Beach on Saturday morning.
Big Sur Saturday afternoon.
Pacific Grove Sunday and Monday.
Fly out of San Jose on Tuesday.
: )
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 07:14 AM

Don't miss a walk on the beach in Carmel if you can or a visit to Point Lobos Marine Preserve on your way up to Pacific Grove.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 09:26 AM

Rocky Point restaurant would be a good place to stop for coffee or lunch on your way toward Carmel from Big Sur. It's most beautiful - on the ocean with spectacular views. In Pacific Grove, Fishwife restaurant pleases me, always! They have daily specials which seem always to be great. It's across the street from the Asilomar grounds (which is where I always stay and love - very, very nice rooms and baths in the new buildings w/quite spectacular architecture in the older ones, big, included breakfasts served around big round tables {meet & chat with other guests, often from overseas}, huge fireplaces, lots of room to wander {it's on the 17-Mile Drive adjacent to the beach}, and deer wandering around - no TV's though). You might want to check out Big Sur's Deetjen Inn's menu for dinner Saturday night. Their food is uniformly excellent and it's a funky and fun place to stay, too (ask to see some of the rooms if they're not all booked, which they usually are). It's on the non-ocean side of HWY One. You will have a wonderful time in that part of the world, I know!!
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 10:23 AM

Must do things before you go home:

Point Lobos State Reserve

The oceanside walking trail in Pacific Grove

The Monterey Bay Aquarium
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 10:26 AM

Add Pfeiffer Beach to montereybob's list. Here's a link to my report of a day-trip we took to that area last year, and it gives very detailed directions for getting to Pfeiffer Beach:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...t-part-way.cfm
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Ended up eating at the Big Sur Bakery last night. Wonderful meal. Giant lima beans with mushrooms, etc..wonderful veggies and the boys enjoyed their Wood fired pizza. Everyone was very happy. Stayed at the Big Sur lodge cottages. Very comfortable for all of us and interesting watching the pretty blue jays.
The State lodge had some really nice looking premade sandwiches, but we choose to drive south a couple miles to the Big Sur Deli and bought some really, really good premade sandwiches. Grilled Veggie with gouda cheese, and my husband had avocado veggie sandwich. The boys did the made to order sandwich. We ate right outside by their sign and loved every bite.
After a full day of hikes (Pfeiffer, Julia Pfeiffer, and an unmarked walk down to the beach) as well as the privilege of seeing and photographing several California Condor's, we went to Nepenthe for a drink and an appetizer outside by the view. Unfortunately we left after over 15 min's. of waiting for someone to acknowledge us after several eye contacts. Just didn't feel like spending that sort of money for bad service.
Checked in our hotel in Pacific Grove (Deerhaven Inn), which was a bad choice, but oh well. And walked to Fishwife for really good meal that everyone enjoyed. While waiting for our table at Fishwife, this sweet elderly couple was trying to leave in his parallel parking place across the street and his foot "got stuck" and he slammed into the SUV in front of him. He kept his foot on the accelerator and ended up pushing the SUV out of it's space. Bless his heart. He lives here and was so upset about it. I ran over to see if he was ok and he was just beside himself over it. His airbags didn't explode and they were ok. The owner of the SUV (BIG man) came out fumming, but I spoke to him telling him how old the man was and how bad he felt, and he calmed down. Three police cars and a firetruck responded..poor guy. The waitress was upset as she said he was a favorite of theirs. The police did their job, got the elderly couple in a cab, and left the vehicle there. Figured they must take care of their own around here.
17 mile drive, Point Lobos and Carmel tomorrow before we leave.
We need one more day, at least! But today was incredible.
Yesterday was the most spectacular day I've had in many years. Took the Pismo Beach kayaking tour through the dinosaur caves and it was amazing. Challenged us all and was worth every penny! Once I get home and get settled, I'll write a trip report about it.
I don't want to leave!
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 06:01 AM

Glad you're having a great trip! I am happy that the dinner at Big Sur Bakery was a success too! Too bad about Nepenthe. Enjoy your last day.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 10:09 AM

Fabulous luck seeing some condors. That is excellent.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

It was very special. This young man with the hat on, http://www.ventanaws.org/species_con...es.march.4.htm from the Ventana Wildlife Society was present tracking them yesterday. He told us he had tracked 18 in the area that day, which he said was less than normal. They track them everyday as they have been fitted with radio transmitters. All in all, we have seen about 8 in the two days we have driven through this area. A juvenile that was a year old and already turned out by his parents, spent a lot of time in front of us stealing and eating a snake from some crows, then having the crows chase him around a bit. His face was still dusty black and hadn't turned red. We were told they gradually turn red and once it turns completely, they are ready for breeding.
The young man told us there 52 (I believe he said there are 174 nationwide now) of them in the California southern pacific coast, spread out into 2 colonies.
Anyway, very special that we had this experience, plus the expert education. We all learned alot.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 01:59 PM

It is wonderful that the condors have been brought back from near extinction - still a long way to go, but their numbers are huge compared to what they once were. Gives me hope that the species will survive. In the 1980s we were backpacking in the Los Padres national forest and saw one in the wild - it was amazing. I think at that time there were only about 25 or 30 known birds in the wild.