Need a GREAT restaurant eating experience on the Monterey Penninsula

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2013, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a wonderful food experience, top quality cooking for some real "Foodie" friends who will be visiting the Monterey Penninsula.. so it could be Carmel, Pacific Grove or Monterey. Suggestions please.
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 07:53 PM

Passion Fish in Pacific Grove
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 03:23 AM

Depends on what your foodies like or expect.

Sardine Factory-I'm sure some would disagree on this one, but I love it.
Dametra Cafe

Were my favorites. Flying Fish is good too. Perhaps Roy's might be more what your looking for.

First Awakening for breakfast is great.
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 03:54 AM

I agree with Passion Fish. I read about it here on Fodors from you, DebitNM! We had a great meal there and will definitely go back there next time!
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 02:10 PM
SAB

I love Passionfish, we have been going there since it first opened. However, it may not live up to the expectations of your capital F "foodie" friends. It is not trendy, it does not have a view; what it is has is very good food at a decent prices and very good wines at affordable prices.

Anyway, if your Foodie friends are the type that want more known foodie havens (not saying that they are), here are a couple of suggestions:

Marius at Bernardus Lodge and Sierra Mar at Post Ranch Inn.
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 03:55 PM

Marius is best known for its wine (Marinus), although the food is quite good. It is in Carmel Valley, however, and nowhere near the coastline.

Actually, the best spot to eat in the entire Monterey Bay area (realizing that the distance from the north end of the Bay (Santa Cruz) to the south end of the Bay (Monterey and Carmel) is about 45 miles long is in the city of Capitola. Shadowbrook is a 6-level redwood restaurant that you reach by either walking down a 400 foot long hill past two waterfalls (one of which empties into the restaurant bar) and past the herb garden. It can be reached more easily via a gondola-type tram that takes one up and down the hill to the restaurant. The restaurant itself sits on the Capitola River only about 1/4 mile from the bay, which can be seen when at the upper levels of the restaurant. The restaurant has a floor that is a wine cellar, one a greenhouse, one a rock walled bar, one floor overlooking the massive central fireplace and one level overlooking the herb garden. It used to be you could only get to the restaurant via small boat, but that changed years back. The restaurant was the basis for Disney's original California Adventure restaurant (now gone after the recent remodel of that park), but captures the mix of that bygone era with the romanticism of today. Also, it is easy to visit the small quaint village of Capitola (similar to a mini-Carmel) either before or after visiting the restaurant (I suggest a stop at Gale's Bakery as well for items for the following day). If you decide you actually want to stay in Monterey, then you should plan to eat before it gets dark, and you should book at Nepenthe in Big Sur (best view anywhere), or if it is the food you crave, then book at The Tap Room at the Lodge at Pebble Beach. Expensive, but the restaurant where the celebrity golfers eat when they aren't at Clint Eastwood's Carmel Valley Ranch restaurant (don't remember the name of that one). Enjoy
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 06:44 PM

Aubergine in Carmel.
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful suggestions. View isn't important, food is. I'm making a list for our friends.......
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 03:19 AM

If you want to look at photos to get a vibe, look at all the above on Yelp or Tripadvisor.
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 08:35 AM

1833 in Monterey
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 03:01 PM

MONTRIO In downtown Monterey just received the award for best in the area. FANDANGO in PG is good as is PASSIONFISH in PG. CASANOVA in Carmel has great ambiance and food is good. LITTLE NAPOLI in Carmel is always a hit but get reservations.

ROY'S at Spanish Bay Resort is somehat noisy but great spot. You can have a drink outside by the fire pits overlooking the Pacific Ocean as the bagpiper plays on the golf course at sundown....then head into Roy's for dinner.