Big Isle - one night in Hilo or volcano area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be going to the Big Island for 4 nights. We wanted to spend the first night in Hilo or the volcano area and then we will be going to Kona 4 Seasons. Any suggestions if we should stay in the volcano area or the Hilo area?
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 09:22 PM

Hilo isn't known for fancy hotels.

I would recommend staying in Volcano Village so you can hopefully see the nighttime lava flow. Check out the Kilaeua Lodge online, it is cute and cozy. The Volcano House is funky, not sure if it's nice enough for a honeymoon, LOL. But definitely worth a stop as it is the only hotel inside the Nat'l Park and it sits on the edge of the smoking crater.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. We actually reversed our whole trip. We are now going to MAui first for 6 nights and then on to Kauai and then BI. I'm not sure if we should do 3 nights Kauai and 4 BI (1 nigtht in volcano area) or 4 nights Kauai and 3 nights BI, fly into Hilo, see volcano and then drive to Kona that nigths. Any suggestions? Is 3 nights in Kauai too little?
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 07:00 AM

Reply to luckylaur, I would agree with 6 nights on Maui, 4 nights on Kauai, and 3 nights on Big Island. Though you might consider 5 nights on both Maui and Kauai, and 3 nights on Big Island mostly because the beaches are nicer on Maui and less crowded on Kauai. Reminds me of the wonderfull trip we did a couple years ago over the same islands in the same order. Either way, you can't go wrong.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 07:34 AM
kmg

Whatever you do, end your vacation at the Four Season on BI so that you are not disappointed when you downgrade your accommodations in Volcano or elsewhere.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

we do plan to end in the Four Seasons. But, do you think the weather is too risky for four nights in Kauai in September? What do you think about flying into Hilo, seeing the volcanos and driving to kona that night? Is it too much to do in one day, or is it doable?
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:01 PM

I'd fly into Hilo, spend a night in Volcano village, then go on to Kona. There are some wonderful hikes in the Park, plus you can drive down and see the lava after dark that way.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:02 PM

We stayed 5 nights in Kauai in Sept and had a fabulous time! But it was too short Weather was fine!

I agree with the previous poster who said 5 nights on Maui, 5 on Kauai and 3 on BI.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 04:16 PM

The number of days on BI depends on what you plan to do there. We just got back 2 weeks ago. My travel agent said to expect to be at the airport for inter-island flights 1 hour before take off. The hotel & airlines said 2 hours when we got there. If you're adding a 3rd island, you may want to re-think it. As much as we enjoyed Maui, we wished we'd spent more time on just Oahu and BI. Will you be scuba diving?