Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Big Island- which area of the island ? Condo recs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're thinking about taking our 2-year old to the Big Island in March. This is the only Hawaiian island we haven't visited before and we're a little unsure of where to stay.

I've done a little reading and it seems like most of the nice, calm beaches (depending on weather, etc.) are on the Kohala Coast. Does that sound correct? I could use Starwood points to stay at the Sheraton, but it's on a rocky cliff and it looks like we'd have to drive a bit to get to a nice, calm beach-- is that the case? My only concern with being north of Kona is that it'll really be a hike to get to Volcanos National Park, which we definitely want to see one day. We like to explore and see the sights, although with a kiddo in tow we'll want to have some low-key beach/pool time, as well. Proximity to some restaurants/shops would be great, but we don't want to be in the heart of a busy area.

I was looking at the Hapuna Beach Prince Resort because the beach looks so lovely and it'd be nice to have a pool and restaurants on site, but we'd really love the extra room and kitchen we'd get with a condo. Is anyone familiar with the condos in the Waikoloa area? Expedia has some good air/hotel/car packages at the Waikoloa Fairway Villas, Aston Shores at Waikoloa, Vista Waikoloa and the Outrigger Fairway Villas (all of which I believe are not on the beach, but a quick walk/drive from it). Has anyone stayed at these places? Other suggestions?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 01:32 PM

The Big Island was the last of the big four Hawaiian islands we visited, too, and now it's our favorite (along with Kauai!).

I think it depends on how long you have total to recommend what area to stay. For us, we stayed 10 nights, so we started out in Kona area for 3 nights, then Volcano NP area for 2 nights, then to Kohala area for 5 nights. The Kohala area is the most luxurious, and we like to end our trips in the most luxurious part.

We got a good deal at the Fairmont Orchid on the Kohala coast, and that resort has a great place/beach for kids to play.

If you go to wizardpub.com you can check out aerial views of hotels/condos, so you can if it is close enough to the beach for you.

If you're not wanting to be in the "heart" of a busy area, I would advise against staying in Kona. We liked Kona, but it reminded us of Lahaina on Maui -- very busy and filled to the brim with tourists. The Kohala Coast is more laid back.

We snorkeled at the Hapuna Beach, and it's a nice beach, but my husband and I both agreed that we liked the beach at the Fairmont Orchid better; at the Fairmont there were dozens of sea turtles in the water with us when we were snorkeling.

We drove the southern route TO the VPN area from Kona, and then the northern route FROM the VPN area to Kohala Coast. Both areas are so beautiful, but if I had to choose one, I would drive the northern coast from the VPN area to the Kohala Coast; it would be a very long day, though, so make sure you have something in the car to keep your child busy.
Have fun planning your trip!
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Samsaf!

We're talking about staying 5 nights, and we probably want to stay in one place simply because it's easier with the kiddo.

I'm not sure the Fairmont is in our budget, but I'll take a look around for specials. It is a beautiful property! A friend recommended the Hilton, which does look like it has a bunch of stuff a child would enjoy, but all the tripadvisor references to it being Disneyland Hawaii sort of make me cringe. I'm a bit torn between being somewhere that has all the amenities and attractions of a hotel and a condo that has more space and a lower-key vibe.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 06:09 AM

I think any of the condos in the Waikoloa Resort will do. It is in the middle of the beach belt. If you want to go to VNP it's one long day but not impossible.

enjoy
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 11:09 AM

We are just back and stayed at the Waikoloa Marriott which had great pools and one just for children. You will have to drive to see the sights wherever you stay so to us Waikoloa was as convenient as any other. The Waikoloa Fairway Villas were beautiful and in a very nice setting.

A day trip to VNP will be a long one. If you could maybe go there first and spend one night before heading back to Waikoloa, it would make it easier on you. We drove the south route from Kona (about 3 hours with a stop at the black sand beach) and drove north route back to Waikolo with many stops.

It was our first time to Hawaii and we loved the BI. We had 6 nights and wished for more. Have fun!
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 03:26 PM

Staying in the Kona-Kailua area does not really give you a much shorter trip to see the Volcano, due to the traffic issues.

If you go from Waikoloa area up through Waimea, you get the lovely drive down the Hamakua coast.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 04:26 PM

Can you fly into Hilo first? Then stay up at VNP for a couple nights. That way, you can take your time and check out the volcano and Hilo town then take a leisurely drive to the Kona side to continue your vacation. You can then fly out of Kona to go back home.

As far as the Kona side, we always stay out on the Kohala coast. Kailua Kona/Keaohou is just to congested and "busy" for us. Normally, we stay at the Mauna Lani or Hapuna. I've stayed at the Waikoloa Vistas condos once and it was fine. They are individually owned though, so they're all a bit different.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 04:37 PM

If you'd like a great deal on a 2-bdroom condo, this complex in Waikoloa is great; near restaruants, shops, a new grocery, a beautiful calm beach, etc. The particular one I've stayed in is booked in March, but this one (which is a great price) or others in this complex or nearby are really nice, especially compared to hotels! And the petroglyph trail next door is fabulous...
http://www.vrbo.com/256028
There are many other similar ones, some at very reasonable rates.