Island Of Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:01 AM
EBZ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Island Of Hawaii

Hi,

very early stages of planning a family trip to the Big Island next summer... My DH and I have been to Kauai twice but want to try another island this time with our 2 daughters, 12 and 9.

Wondering if 2 weeks broken up with 6 days in Kona area, 6 days in Hilo area or Kapoho area and then 2 nights at Volcano National Park would be a good idea or is it too much time in one area. We are an active family that likes to swim, snorkel, hike, just being outdoors relaxing. We will rent a condo or beach house and with the National Park lodge re-opening later this year, I think I would like to stay here unless there would be a better option...

Thanks in advace for your feedback.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 12:09 PM

sounds fine; 2 nights at VNP makes it easy to view the park, hike the Thurston lava tube, check out the sea arch, etc.
Kapoho is a great area for snorkeling the tide pools, visiting the thermal swimming pool, Lava Tree State Park, and other sights. It's not too far from Hilo (the zoo, the Kaumana Cave park, lovely beach hikes south of Hilo) and the coastal waterfalls and scenic parks (like Laupahoehoe Park), and then the Hamakua Coast (although that might be a bit of a drive from Kapoho). If you want more beach time, you could cut that by a day or so to spend on the west side.
We've had good luck in the Waikoloa Beach Resort area (A Bay); it's a good place to visit other areas from (Hawi, Pololu Valley, Saddle Road and all the sites to Waipio valley, etc.) Got a terrific 2 bd,2 bth condo for a steal (100/night): http://www.vrbo.com/413069
There are other complexes in that area (might cost a bit more, but condos are so convenient!); but the location, plus new grocery, shopping, and the wonderful A-bay beach make the Waikoloa resort area my preference (over the Kailua-Kona area).
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 01:17 PM

I agree that Waikoloa is fantastic. I spent a few lovely days at the Marriott Waikoloa Resort. But I also like the Kona area, for different reasons and different atmosphere. I would almost suggest to the OP that she/he spend some time in Kona and then on to Waikoloa for a couple of days. Even though they are not that far apart, the geography is different, what with the black lava rock everywhere.

The changing geography and panorama really make for the Big Island's charm. It's my favorite outer island.

To the OP, I think you will really enjoy the Hawaii visit.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 01:21 PM

I would also offer the following - 2 weeks would allow you time to go to 2 islands. I think 2 weeks on any one island might be a bit much. I would do 2 nights in Hilo, a night at VNP, 5 nights either Kona or Waikola. Then pick a different island for the remaining time. Maybe Maui or Kaui??
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 01:31 PM

It's not a huge difference - as Hilo is only a half hour or so away from the Volcano - but I would suggest one night in Hilo and two up at Volcano Village - or at the Volcano House Hotel, even though they are a little pricer up there.
http://www.hawaii.volcanoes.national-park.com/visit.htm and google for optinos at Volcano Village - a mile or so away from the Visitor's Center/Rim Drive.

I woudl suggest you first do the drive north of Hilo - Akaka Falls, along the old road, Botanical Gardens, etc - and then beat feet up to the Rain Forest at Volcano. http://www.hawaii.volcanoes.national-park.com/visit.htm
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 01:49 PM

You could spend months exploring the Big Island; 2 weeks will barely scratch the surface!
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 01:52 PM

Hmmm, well, to each his own; I couldn't spend months there. Kinda like a/c
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 02:00 PM

You do have time for two islands. Your children are old enough to appreciate some of the history on Oahu. Maybe a short stay at Honolulu, plus two locations on Big Island?

Best lodgings on Big Island are in the largely vog-free Kohala area (NW). You'd also enjoy some nights at Volcano (SE). I'd skip Hilo and Kapoho. I'd skip Kona except to sightsee. This is the only island on which we routinely rent a larger car. You are driving greater distances to see it, often at higher speeds than on the small islands.

Be aware that Big Island really heats up, being farthest south and with so much bare lava on the Kona side. Although it has the best sealife of the islands, it does not have a lot of easy-access beaches or lodgings with ocean view. This is VERY different from your Kauai experiences. If you want a beach-y trip on a 'new' island, consider Maui -- or North Shore Oahu.

There are three people on the TripAdvisor Big Island of Hawaii forum who live on Big Island if you want more information.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 02:05 PM

There is someone here too that lives on the BI and shares his wealth of knowledge and contributes generously, so no need to head elsewhere. Plenty of opinions here, too, as can be seen from the few posts already here.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 03:59 PM

ChiSue. I think BI has some wonderful beachfront locations, and the Muana Kea - among others - come to mind.

see: http://www.princeresortshawaii.com/m...a-beach-hotel/

And while BI is a close second behind our favorite - the Garden Isle of Kauai - they all have something kbeautiful/wonderful to offer, and seeing either Maui or more of Oahu would be very doable in two weeks.

Would suggest you split the time however you get the best deal for a week - at either Kona side or Maui/Oahu. Personally - I would consider Maui as it's usually easier to get deals for Oahu - next time you return to Paradise.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 04:24 PM

I think a couple of nights right in VV is a great idea. You get to see visit early morning and late night when all the tourists are far away.

I truly do not understand posters insisting that you visit more then one island. You are clearly a seasoned traveller that has visited the state before. We stopped counting our visits to the islands after we hit a dozen, from the east coast. Our one trip to BI was 8 nights and we barely scratched the surface!

I would certainly look at rentals in north kohala including puako
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 06:18 PM

IMHO: it's all personal preference, but,
I also think that splitting time between islands on a short visit is not ideal; more money, stress, schlepping stuff, etc.
Puako is nice, but very pricey, and it's a bit of a drive to the nearest grocery.
Kapoho is a wonderful place to stay to enjoy the snorkeling and the sights of that part of the island. Hilo has some nice beaches, terrific waterfalls, and other things to see (like Kaumana Cave).
There are wonderful beaches along the North Kohala coast, from A-Bay north.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 06:41 PM

Several years ago I stayed on the Big Island for 3 weeks. I started off in Kona, moved to the Volcano for 2 nites, then did Hilo for 5 and ended up in Waikoloa.

I got up early every day and drove every road I could find. I snorkled on a nite dive, and went up the mt. for the sunset w/ Pat and his telescope tour,and did the wagon tour down into the hidden valley.

I had a super timea nnd really saw the island....I also had time for beach and hotel pool Its an amazing island and I did not feel I needed any other island on that trip.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 07:20 PM

I'd recommend 6 days in Kona or Waikoloa, 6 days in Kapoho and 2 days in Volcano Village. From Kapoho you can get to Hilo in 45 minutes and if it's raining in Hilo, it probably isn't in Kapoho. There are plenty of VRBO's in Kapoho, get one right on the tide pools and you're steps away from one of the best snorkeling areas in the state.

From Kona or Waikoloa, you can do the sights on that side: Hawi, Honaunau, Kahalu'u Beach Park, coffee farms, and all the water activities you want, plus a nice selection of restaurants.

There's no lava activity at Volcano park at this time so any more than two days and I think you'll be bored there. The park is nice but can be done in a day. There is a glow coming from Halema'uma'u that you can see one night, other than that, no lava now. From here you can go to Punalu'u black sand beach and see turtles basking on the sand.

I live here and if you need some personal advice or recommendations, email me (it's on my profile) before booking and I'll give you a yeah or a nay. I've shown many Fodorites around my side of the island (Hilo side, Kapoho, Pahoa) and happy to give you accurate and up to the minute advice.

Aloha
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 07:31 PM

And I always think it's neat to see more than one island - until you have seen them all - and then you can really decide where you want to go back and spend more time.

Getting from one island to another is really not that hard - as the airports are small, the flights quick - and the rental car agencies right at the airports.

Personally - I much prefer the beaches on the Kona side - after you have hopefully spent a couple days up at the Volcano, and also seen the beautiful area just north of Hilo.

You might want to hike the little Volcano - Ke Iki Hale - about a two to three hour walk all told (through a rain forest on the way to and from the crater) - and I think the girls would love it.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 07:51 PM

the op said she wants to stay on one island-The Big Island. Why give her advice if that is not what she's after? I'm sure she knows how easy it is to get from one island to the other, I'm sure her computer can google things also.

Have you stayed in Kapoho tomsd? Ever been there? How many years ago?
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 07:51 PM

mat, I understand they have opened up some of the closed Crater Road. Have you checked it out?

As far as some of the perts on tripadvisor, a few are wonderful, and a few are judgmental know it alls. In regards to the BI, mat seems rather neutral, which is a good thing.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 03:30 AM

Yes, went for a swim/snorkel at the Kapoho tidepools once - years ago. Very nice - but still prefer the beaches/Kona side for spending more time.

And people provide other ideas to travelers all the time, and if they want to consider it fine - and if not - also fine.

Once could spend a couple of weeks on BI and have a great time - and one could also visit another island for a few days - especially if you have not been to that island.

Sometimes - people just don't realize how easy it really is to get from one island to another, and unless you have seen the 4 main Hawaiian isles - and maybe even spend a couple days on Molokai or Lanai - both also very nice - how do you know which one you would like best?
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 06:04 AM

OP should be aware of two cautions with Kapoho:

1. There have been concerns about fecal bacterial contamination of the hot pools.

2. There was a recent break-in and burglary of people who were parked overnight in their car in the parking lot. Don't leave a car parked overnight there.

I've spent more than two weeks on TBI and have never felt I've seen it all. I find the time I spend in Volcano area is particularly worth it. It is such a unique microenvironment.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 08:04 AM

The warm pools (like Ahalanui) have had higher levels of (various types of, not just fecal) contamination. They are tested, and warning signs posted (they only are cleaned by the action of sea water entering below the wall level). The State of Hawaii has stated that it is not necessarily human (sewage) contamination: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...KDHD4rG18KWHPQ
Chapter 3, page 1, last paragraph.
However, the open-ocean tide pools have not had these issues, although there has been speculation about the septic systems of homes in the area. I would go back to Kaphoho in a heartbeat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -