Search

Big Island/Kauai Itinerary Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Island/Kauai Itinerary Help

Hello!

My husband and I are in our late 20s (no kids) and we're planning a trip to Hawaii in September. Our priorities are to see the volcanos, do a couple of day hikes, some water sports, and basically just enjoy the scenery.

I've gone back and forth a lot between doing just one island (Big Island) and two, but after reading the Revealed books, I don't think I can bypass Kauai. We only have 10 days, unfortunately.

Here's my preliminary itinerary...

Day 1 (Fri): Arrive in Kona, luau at Kona Village
Day 2 (Sat): Ocean Tour (Sea Quest?) in the morning, drive to Volcano, stop and see South Point, Green Sand Beach, and (if time) Black Sand Beach
Day 3 (Sun): Volcano National Park
Day 4 (Mon): Hilo/Rainbow Falls or more volcanos
Day 5 (Tue): Fly to Kuaui from Hilo, morning
Day 6 (Wed): Awaawapuhi Trail/Waimea Canyon
Day 7 (Thurs): Snorkeling, Helicopter Ride (Lihue)
Day 8 (Fri): Surf lessons and/or Kayak Tour
Day 9 (Sat): North Shore/Kalalau Trail
Day 10 Sun): Fly home (in the evening)

As for lodging, we'd stay 1 night in Kona, 3 nights in Volcano, 3 nights in Lihue or South Shore, and 2 nights in North Shore.

My questions:
(1) How bad is traffic in Kona? On a Friday afternoon, is driving from the airport to (say) Captain Cook to check in to a hotel, then back up to Kona Village for a luau going to take hours?

(2) Is a half-day long enough to get from Kona to Volcano AND see some sights along the way?

(3) Is it worth splitting our time in Kauai to limit drive time? Is staying a night or two on the North Shore a must? I was thinking that would be where we would "splurge" and get a really nice room with an ocean view...

(I realize this is a whirlwind itinerary and wouldn't appeal to a lot of people, but that's the way we like to travel. I *do* want to know whether or not it is reasonable for the amount of time that we'll be there.)

Thanks in advance from a Fodor's newbie... I've been reading for a while, but this is my first post!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Aloha! Traffic in Kona is horrible but shouldn't take more than an hour.
You'll need 4wd to get to green sand beach. There's really nothing to see at south point but do stop at Punaluu black sand beach and see the turtles. Another nice stop is Pu'uhonau o Honaunau National Park. Since you'll be staying in Volcano, make sure you drive down to the flow in the evening and walk out to the flow. The driving time from Kona to Volcano with no stops is a little over 2 hours, with the 2 stops I mentioned shouldn't be more than 5-6 hours. Outside of Hilo, there's Akaka Falls and at World Botanical Gardens, there's a nice hike up to some awesome falls.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Kal

On Kauai, once agin, I'd suggest a place near Lihue/Kapaa/Wailua etc since it's central and it looks like you have some aggresive plans.

I don't think you'd want to spend a lot of time in a car or packing/unpacking?
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:24 AM

We were on the Big Island in January. Kona traffic is the worst we've experienced on any of the islands. Given the long distances between points of interest, we found the slow traffic almost unbearable. I would hate to think of driving from the airport to Captain Cook, then to Kona Village, then back to Captain Cook all in one afternoon/evening. To spend this much time in the car, after hours in an airplane, would be excrutiating for me. I would much rather find a nice restaurant in South Kona. We really liked Aloha Angel Cafe in Kainaluu. Great food, and a fun outdoor setting. Not fancy, but very
"old Hawaii".
On Kauai, I would agree with the poster who suggests you stay on the east coast. Particularly for such a short stay. Driving distances and traffic in both directions are far better than on the Big Island. I used to split my Kauai visits into No. & So. shores, but now I prefer to stay in or near Kapaa. I like some of funky shops and casual restaurants, and it's easy to head either direction depending on whim and weather.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:39 AM
trippinkpj

I agree, don't bypass Kauai. Although i liked the Big Island, I'm in no hurry to go back. It is a lot of driving, umless you stay in one area. I'm anxious to get back to Kauai and Maui also.

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback so far!

I think we'll opt to stay in Kona (maybe the Outrigger?) that first night instead of Captain Cook, so hopefully that will mean a little less driving.

On Kauai, we're looking at the Kauai Beach Resort in Lihue, at least for 3 nights. I still feel like I need to spend a night or two on Hanalei Bay, just for the romance value. I'm considering the Hanalei Colony Resort for that.

(I'm not that worried about packing/unpacking because we travel pretty light. I *am* worried about having to waste valuable vacation hours driving back and forth from attractions to our hotel, or else I'd be tempted to stay on the North Shore all 5 nights!)

Thanks again - and any more comments or suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 03:43 PM

We're staying at the Kauai Beach Resort July 1-9th, so I can let you know how it is (the resort and location) in a couple weeks. I also wanted to stay on the North Shore, but opted for the convenience of staying in one place for the entire trip and the easy access to both the North and South shores. We'll see how it goes!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Kal

LAD,
Ahhhhh....Kauai romannnnnnnnce.
Go for Hanalei!!! HCR is remote. I think Auntie M said a new restaurant just opened up in Charo's old place next door.

You can alays go back later to see the west/south side.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 07:23 AM
bonniebroad

LifesADance, I would spend two nights Volcano Village, two nights Kona on the Big Island. I would go the Northern route to the other side of the island, rather than the Southern. There's a lot to see around Captain Cook/Kona. Waimea ranch country is beautiful to drive through ... I think you'll miss some of the prettiest parts of the island by spending most of your time doing the Southern route/Volcano.

On Kauai, I would stay on the North shore in September. So beautiful, and Kauai is not all that big ... The Eastern Coast is convenient, but I don't find it nearly as appealing as the North Shore or Poipu. Whatever, have a great time ...

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 08:29 AM

I've been to Kauai a few times and I agree that you can easily stay in one place on the island and never feel too far away from any of the island sights. IMO driving around on Kauai is cake in comparison to the other Hawaiian islands. Good luck planning - wish I was too!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 09:39 AM

My DH and I were just there for our 25th anniversary. We did the Nualolo Trail, Nualolo Cliff Trail, and then up the Awaawapuhi Trail and then the trek back down back to our car. If you like to hike, do the whole thing, it's incredible. Just make sure you bring enough water (which we didn't and thanks to the two angels who gave us more along the way....). It took us seven hours, so you being younger should have no problems. There is one very scary part on the Cliff Trail where the trail erodes and you have to be very careful. WEAR SHOES WITH GOOD TREAD!
We did the helicopter (inter-island, without the doors) and it was incredible, the highlight of our trip.
Make sure you get up to Ke'e Beach early for a parking spot (it gets crowded) if you're going to do the trail then snorkeling. We went about a 1 1/2 to see the views and then turned around so we had time to snorkel.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 09:45 AM

We stayed at the Beach Resort. The beach there isn't really for swimming, but we did see people out there. The rooms are adequate, but we weren't there much. It is a good location to get to either side and a lot of restaurants and souvenier shops. Dukes was wonderful.
If you want a secluded beach, go to Poipu and go left to Gillins Beach. There is a Private Property sign, and we were leary at first, but the gate was open and it said it closes at dusk. It is a very, very, bumpy ride to the beach, but is was beautiful. I got the info from some other posters and in the Blue Book.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 09:55 AM

We fell in love with the Big Island, so much to do and outside of Kona it is so laid back and full of that "old Hawaii"charm, especially Hilo. Kona is more arid, with large areas of desolate lava flow between the resorts and beaches. Hilo side is lush & tropical-looking. One sight you don't want to miss is Waipio Valley in the Northeastern section of Big Island. Take a horseback-riding tour down onto the valley floor, it just like shangri la.In between Kona and Volcano you might want to stop at one of the coffee plantations for a quick tour and tasting, a delightful way to meet some friendly local people. I agree that you should also not miss the Pu'uhonau o Honaunau National Park. The snorkeling there is some of the best in Hawaii.
P.S. getting in and out of the water for snorkeling can be treacherous because of the sharp coral and volcanic rock. Wear water shoes and bring a first aid kit wherever you go. You can get a nasty infection from the coral.