Search

Big Island Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Island Hotels?

I am starting to plan a trip to the Big Island for my husband and I plus my parents will be going too.
My question is between the Sheraton Keauhou Bay or Outrigger Keauhou Beach Resort which would you choose for the Big Island? My husband and I are big snorkel people so that would be a plus.
Thanks for any adivce you can give. I'm starting early since I'm going to have to share info with my parents!!
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 06:01 PM

Of those two I'd recommend the Outrigger over the Sheraton. I haven't stayed at the Sheraton since it reopened (it's a renovation of the Kona Surf Hotel), but friends who have been there complained about both their rooms (size and noise issues) and quality of service.

If you're open to other suggestions, and a condo instead of a resort, you'll get much more "bang for the buck" at Kanaloa at Kona (Outrigger's condo property in Keauhou). These units are huge and the grounds are spotless.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 06:27 PM
BSC

If you will be going to Volcano National Park check out the Country Goose B&B. It's a few miles from the park but at that time, for the same price as a tiny room at the hotel in the park we had a 2 bedroom modular home. We stayed there about 6 years ago and my chldren who were 9 and 11 at the time still talk about it. We walked two blocks to another house each morning to eat an enormous, home cooked breakfast. The house also had a washer / dryer which came in handy at that point in our trip.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

fdecarlo-
How's the beach at Kanaloa at Kona? If I remember right there wasn't much beach. Although I've looked at so many hotels now that I could be wrong.
BSC-
We'll probably try to stay at least 1 night by the volcano. Thanks for the suggestion!!
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 07:13 PM

No beach at Kanaloa. But beautiful views from the property. Depending on time of year, ask about a/c (some units have a/c, some don't). We have been on the property, but never stayed there. We'll stay there next time however!!

Also, another place to consider over near VNP is the Kilauea Lodge. And if you don't stay there, try to make reservations for dinner one night.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 03:32 AM

Just to expand on cawhite's post.. Yes, the views from Kanaloa at Kona are pretty spectacular, but the property doesn't have a beach. In fact I don't know of any Keauhou properties with an adjacent white sand beach. However, within a mile or two north of this area is Kahaluu Beach, which has a rather rough combination of white sand and lava rock, and some very good offshore snorkeling (although not as good as further south, at Kealakekua Bay).

Cawhite is also correct about air conditioning in the Kanaloa at Kona units: some have it and some don't. Keauhou (and Kailua too) sometimes gets cloud runoff from Mauna Loa in the evenings, and humidity can occasionally get downright nasty. Doesn't happen that often, but you might want to request a unit with a/c just in case.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 04:13 AM

We also stayed at the Country Goose B&B, and it was wonderful. The breakfast was huge and very good, and the room came equipped with flashlights and rain ponchos for night hiking at VNP! BEst of all, our room (which slept 3) was just $75 a night!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 04:30 AM

My vote goes for the one of a kind Outrigger Keauhou Beach Resort, because everything is right there and you can't get any closer to the ocean!

Also you're just a few steps away from really good snorkeling from the grey sand beach at Kahulu`u and we were even able to gaze down from our ocean front unit at all kinds of aquatic activity in the tidepools below.

Recommend having a rental car if you desire more dining options than the hotel offers, which can be found in a few minutesdrive north or south.
On our last visit we enjoyed and recommend the breakfast buffet-which we found as on online special$)
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses!! I really think I'm leaning more towards the Outrigger Keauhou. I want a beach and the option of have no a/c isn't in the cards for me.
JohnD-
We will have a rental car. We've been to Maui and Oahu with a car on both. There's no other way to see the islands!!
Anyone one else have any experiences at either hotel?
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 05:13 AM

Aloha littlehouse,

In case you missed it, the links below contain Trip Reports from our 2 most recent visits there:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34549308
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34491972

Since I haven't noticed any recent posts from turn it on, I hope Roxy doesn't mind the volunteering of her impressive Trip Report:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34542623