BIG ISLAND HOTELS

Old Feb 24th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BIG ISLAND HOTELS

Ok...whats the final words on: King Kamehameha Kona Beach Hotel, and Mauna Lani Point, & Hilo Bay Hotel, & The Volcano Lodge or the Kilauea Lodge??? I"ll be staying on the island by myself for 3 weeks and will move from side to side etc to save on driving. Im looking for nice, w/ kitchens/fridges/nukers & washer & dryer facilities etc. A bit of condo & a bit of hotel....Thanks!
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 01:06 PM

Suggestion for Hilo....maybe a bit more "budget" than you are looking for, but I stay there and enjoy. The Dolphin Bay hotel....sort of apt. house turned into hotel...all units have kitchen facilities....lay back envirnoment, and nice people. Check the web site www.dolphinbayhilo.com
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 02:54 PM

The Mauna Lani Point condominiums are beautiful BUT you have to get in your car and drive if you want to go to the beach or use the hotel amenities. I like to walk everywhere while on vacation so this bugged me. But the condos are absolutely gorgeous and if you don't mind having to use your car they are a good choice. There are other Mauna Lani condos located closer to the hotel that are sometimes available and might be a better choice in terms of location. I think they are called the Terrace condos. The Mauna Lani hotel itself is like being in paradise! On a recent trip I opted to stay in the hotel itself rather than in the condos because I like being super close to the beach. For me, it was worth the tradeoff of less space and no kitchen facilities.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 07:20 AM

I haven't been there yet, but have just made reservations at the Kilauea Lodge because of unfavorable descriptions on this site about Volcano House. Kilauea Lodge was consistently highly rated in the guidebooks I checked out.

The Kilauea Lodge required a one night deposit, and it's refundable minus $10 up until 72 hours ahead of time. We're spending around $200 per night for 4 people in Tutu's cottage over New Year's. It looks like a solo traveler could get a room for around $100.
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 07:39 AM

King Kamehameha Kona Beach Hotel is in a great location in the tourist area of Kona. It is not luxury by any stretch of the imagination, but is close to everything. There is a small beach out front and you can walk and walk down Alii drive to shop, eat, watch the surf. I have not stayed at the King, but have been inside the lobbies quite a bit. There is a smallish pool and bar area outside near the beach. For the money, I would look into a condo and have kitchen facilities and save on meals. Big Island Revealed would lead you to a good rental. The Mauna Lani Point condo is north of Kona. Kona is very easy to get around.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Hey everyone..you are really helping!!! THANK YOU!!!!! Im pondering all the advice...and will then apply it!!!
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:29 AM

Aloha,

You will really enjoy the diversity of the Big Island. It is an amazing island with so much to do and see. Are you staying 3 weeks on the Big Island?

I would recommend that you stay clear of the King Kam and Royal Kona Resort, as they have really seen their day. If you are interest in a hotel in the area, please check out the Keauhou Beach Hotel ? a much better choice or a condo. In the volcano area a thumbs up to the Kilauea Lodge. They have a small restaurant ? make sure to make reservations, it?s wonderful!!

Can?t speak about the Hilo area but have heard wonderful this about a B&B called the Shipman Inn.

Have a wonderful vacation!!
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Allinui, Yep......3 weeks and only on the big island. Too long? Not long enuff? I"ll have done all the Hawaiian islands after this except Lanai....and each one has been fabulous.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:06 PM

Aloha,

3 weeks too long - never!!! I'm biased though because of all the places I've traveled the world over - I've chosen the Big Island as my home. Or more appropriately it has chosen me.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 07:15 AM

I don't think you can go wrong with the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel on Banyan Drive. The hotel was very accessible to the town of Hilo and the rooms looked out onto a small island and the bay. My room was not luxurious, but certainly very adequate. And the price was right.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 07:29 PM

I stayed at the Keauhou Beach Hotel in October 2001. Yes, it is better than the King Kam. But, it is pretty standard Howard Johnson's ville. One room, small balcony, sink area, and toilet/tub room. Nothing to write home about. The grounds were nice, and the pool was basic, small. Overall, it was on about a 5.5 on 1-10. If you get a good rate, go for it. But, I have seen condos (on the internet) on Alii drive for the same price..I needed air conditioning when I was there. Many condos do not have it. Check first, you may want the comfort. Having a kitchen, and small washer/dryer is heaven.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

OK my TA has been digging and dealing...and this is almost the final choices...just in case any of you helpful people were still about and awake!! Ohana Keauhou Beach Hotel for 6 nites, then the Kilauea Lodge for 2 nites, then Uncle Billy Buddies Bobby's Hilo Bay Hotel for 5 nites, then up and around to the Outrigger Waikoloa Beach for the last 6 nites. I have some good rates, a few free nites thrown in, fridges in most rooms, and breakfast at almost all.....so I think Im almost set. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions...it did help!!!! I guess I should say Mahalo huh?
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 08:00 PM

I absolutely second the recommendation for the Big Island Revealed Guidebook. It's fantastic!
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 05:44 AM

I don't think i would spend 7 nights in the Hilo Volcano area,3 or 4 nights will allow you time to explore the volcano,Hilo and the waterfalls in the area.There is alot to see and do in Kona and the weather will be much better.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 12:05 PM

LEANNAT, your itenterary looks very similar to mine for after Christmas this year, but yours takes a little longer. Please post a trip report when you're done!

My itenerary is as follows:
- 2 days at Ohana Keauhou Beach Hotel
- 3 days at Kilauea Lodge (anniversay celebration there)
- 4-5 days driving around with a tent?
- 1-2 days at Outrigger Waikaloa Beach to clean up before heading home.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

I always do alot of study before any trip. I get the guide books from the library, do my reading and make an outline. Thats what I take w/ me...BUT....I did get Hawaii Revealed from the library and as I started realized this was something really special. So I went to B&N & got my very own copy....and am so happy underlining and circling and marking and drooling!! What a great guide book..truly "drive this way for dummies"..WHICH I NEED!!! Also its just plain fun to read....they have great humor and fer sure this little book will be sitting in the seat next to me in the rental car!!!

Again thanks for the validations of my plans....I know 5 days in Hilo seems like alot...but from what Im reading....I'll have a lot to poke around and do...between the tide pools, a bit of snorkel and the fish market!!!