Beverley Hill/Santa Monica hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mum,Dad and 3 boys require advice re Beverley Hilton, Sheraton 4 Points, or Doubletree Santa Monica.
Has anyone stayed at any on these hotels and would you recommend them. Staying for 6 nights next July. First time visitors to LA. Would be grateful for any advice
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 08:46 AM

Go to tripadvisor.com to check out the user ratings on these hotels.
The funny thing is, it seems to me that Beverly Hills has the better hotels, but Santa Monica the better restaurants!
Where you stay kind of depends upon what you plan to do while in LA. Although Santa Monica is right next to LA, traffic can make a drive into town take 30 minutes sometimes...
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 11:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Stay at the Beverly (spelled without the extra "e" before the "y") Hilton. It's ideally located, has a nice swimming pool and, if you are going early on in July, the morning weather will be better.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hilton has recently been sold so who knows how the service will be come July. Do you have some ideas in mind as to what you plan to do while in Los Angeles? For instance, if you're primarily visiting for beach time...I'd recommend different hotels than I would if you're coming for Disney, Universal, Six Flags and Zoo.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 03:57 PM

Family of four and stayed at the Beverly Hilton last May. Loved it! They were renovating rooms from the top down, and we were in a lower unrevovated room, but still very spacious and comfortable. Got 2 connecting non-smoking rooms from Priceline for $75 each per night. That price included a limo service to anywhere in Beverly Hills. We loved the pool, breakfast buffet (not inc), and location, and thought the service was superb. Don't know anything about the sale of the hotel, though.
Best wishes for a great trip!
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou for all your responses. We will be visiting Universal and Six Flags but not Disneyland. We liked the idea of Santa Monica due to the beach and the idea of 3rd street promenade shopping. Does that make a difference to our location as regards the driving time to our various theme parks.
Also any recommendations as to which are the best sites to book on. As regards hotels we want something family friendly but also with a bit of luxury. We have also considered spending a night in the Beverly Hills (thanks for noting the spelling error)Hotel. Am I mad (pricewise I mean). For the rest of the stay Beverly Hilton sounds good but would still like some advice re Sheraton 4 Points and the Doubletree?
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 04:00 AM
emd

A patron of this board, janellelewis, stayed at the Four Points a few months ago and wrote a detailed review of it when she got back. Type janellelewis in the search box above and you will see her review come up.
Have you tried searching for santa monica doubletree? If there are any reviews, you'll get them.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might check your dates on hotwire.com if you want to stay at the Beverly Hilton. It usually pops up as the 3.5 star "customer favorite" near Beverly Hills/ Westwood. For Universal though, the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel is your best bet...also easier to get to Magic Mtn from there than it would be from Santa Monica.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 05:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It doesn't make a lot of difference on driving to the amusement parks if you were to stay in Beverly Hills or Santa Monica.

Because I live here, I can't give you any advice on the actual rooms, but I have been to mandatory education programs for my profession at each of these locals, and know each area well.

If you are choosing between all three, I'd stick with my earlier comment that you should stay at the Hilton. If it's only between the Sheraton and Doubletree, the Doubletree would win hands down for several reasons. First, every single time I've been to the Sheraton (which was formerly a Ramada Inn and a few other unexciting hotels), I've noticed a moldy smell, and my opinion has remained that they don't keep this property up. Further, it's one a very busy street that, in that area, is just plain ugly, and is the path of the homeless during the day and at night. It also makes me feel claustrophobic, because it's dark. Samo High is right across the street, but you're going in July, so school will be out, and you won't have to deal with the noise outside or the horns honking while parents drop off and pick up their kids and double park.

The Doubletree is on 4th Street. Behind it is Samo High's playing field, which isn't a problem for you because, again, it's summer. It's also right next to the 10 Freeway, but at the tail end, so you won't get too much traffic noise. The place is pretty well insulated, at least in the Lobby area. It's also located across from the S.M. courthouse and police station (the new police station is being constructed right now, so I don't know if the construction causes a lot of noise or not). This is a small hotel and nicely appointed. It's also closer to the third street promenade and Santa Monica Pier. In other words, it's convenient, and I think a bit more upscale. My sister stayed here a few years ago when her condo was being renovated and liked it a lot.

Now, for the ease of getting to the amusement parks. Obviously, the Doubletree is going to be the easiest to get to Magic Mountain, because you go right around the corner of the hotel, head east on the 10, then north on the 405 until it turns into the 5 and you're there. About 45 minutes unless you hit traffic (and you will hit traffic on the 405 except, maybe, at 3 a.m. on a good day). About 45 minutes to Universal as well, and you can either take the 10 to the 405, then east on the 101 to Universal. Alternatively, you can take the 10 east to La Brea up to Franklin, then north on Highland which, due to freeway congestion, usually takes you less time. (in other words, you'll need a map!)
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 08:41 AM

HI--the Santa Monica Doubletree is a "suite" hotel, so unless you were planning on renting 2 rooms in the regular hotels, this location will give you 2 rooms--LR w/pullout as well as a separate BR for parents--still only 1 bathroom though!! We stayed there and it is a nice place, altho it is a 10 minute (or so) walk to the Promenade and more to the Santa Monica Pier. Sometimes on the Hilton/Doubletree website they are running specials that give breakfast included for parents and 2 kids. Their breakfast buffet was very good.