Bettles or Barrow

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bettles or Barrow

Hi. Finalizing plans for the trip in March '05. Wanted to say thanks again to everyone for their helpful remarks and tips.

Have you been to Bettles or Barrow? What did you like/not like about your encounter?

Specifics are appreciated if you've been to either locale.

Thanks!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:43 AM

Yep been to both. Barrow- is my clear destination for a "destination" , Bettles- good for a brief visit and maybe then continuing on to Anaktuvuk Pass. Have done this on a cargo run.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Budget Queen - can you briefly describe what you enjoyed most about each place?

Did you do any hiking, skiing, etc while at Bettles? We are interested in those activities if we choose Bettles.

Thanks so much!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:54 AM

Budget Queen: I flew a sea plane cargo run out of Prince Rupert but I'm not familiar with companies that offer that in Alaska. Could you provide more info?
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:11 AM

Skiing??? When are you going??? I stayed several nights in Barrow, quite a community, got out with a guide and also did some flying over bowheads. It's a unique subsistance living area. Bettles was a day stop for unloading, just got a quick look around.

I've been on several cargo and mail runs, you just got to be flexable with your time and contact venders directly for their schedule. I've gone with Warbelows several times out of Fairbanks, and Taquan out of Ketchikan.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Budget Queen: March 2005.

Bettles Lodge has assorted pkgs that are of interest to us.

Barrow is appealing simply because we can be there to experience Barrow. Do you have a fav time of year to visit?

We have limited time and flexibility. Which is why we can only choose one locale this trip.

Thanks.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 04:16 AM

Well Barrow has some EXCELLENT polar bear watches available and just superb northern lights possibilities, even better than Fairbanks- which will blow you away. But I would not recommend spending any less than 2 nights there- so to increase your chances of the above. I would not consider any less, Bettles would probably be good with an overnight and full day skiing? Be sure to consider dog sledding too, Paws has their excellent "school" allowing you your own sled-= superior to any ride. A cheap option with dogs trained behind snowmobile is with Northern Sky Lodge in Ester. I have to say- winter is my preferred time in Alaska, scenery is just superior. Factor in a couple snowmobile trips too, last March I ran 3 different ones including out of Girdwood to ice caves, with a day and night run out of North Pole. Be well prepared for weather- it got to -30 up to +40 while I was there for 2 weeks.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Budget Queen. Excellent advice and notes. We invested in some cold weather gear. We are excited to be able to see Alaska in winter, we enjoyed our August '00 trip and have been looking forward to returning ever since. This will definitely not be our last visit, Alaska has affected us like no other place we have visited.
Thanks again.