Flightseeing in Alaska

Search

Flightseeing in Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flightseeing in Alaska

We probably can only budget for one flightseeing trip while in Alaska.
We are trying to decide between an Artic Circle trip out of Fairbanks and a Denali trip out of Talkeetna.
Any thoughts or pros/cons on either of these?
Thanks!
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 07:40 AM

I cannot comment on the Artic Circle trip but flights from Talkeetna are awesome. I went on a group flight once and chartered a flight by myself on another occasion. In both cases, Denali was obscured from the ground but there was plenty of space for the pilots to manuver for a great view of the mountain.

On the second trip, we spent about 20 minutes flying about 500 feet above the Ruth Glacier with rock walls towering above us on both sides. That is the most fun I have ever had in an airplane!
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 04:07 PM

Mt. McKinley is certainly a thill to fly OVER and therefore summit flights are my preference. But a great deal can depend on your flying experience?? A ski plane landing may also be a great tour for you (can not ski land with the summit flights) just be certain of descriptions- summit view vs summit etc. WHERE in the Arctic circle is this flight? I have gone to Bettles, Ft. Yukon, Barrow and Anaktuvuk Pass. I strongly feel it is IMPORTANT to go to a location that you are interested in - rather than just flying to go over the circle?? Day trips are ok for all except Barrow- which needs an overnight. Anaktuvuk Pass was my favorite of the other 3, but I went on "cargo" runs and was flying - well just to fly and talk to other passengers who lived in the area- unbelievable stories and excellent narrations.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:04 PM

Hello BudgetQueen. We are going to a town outside of Fairbanks in late August. Can you tell me what flightseeing companies operate out or there and where I can get more info on their tours. Any recommendations, cautionary notes etc would be appreciated.

Thanks,
PSL
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 04:55 AM

I go with Warbelows most every trip, myself. But there is a 2 for one coupon in the toursaver book if you are just looking to cross the Arctic?? with Northern Alaska tour company. They have several tours noncoupon also to choose from. Be very selective and choose the one of interest to you.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:43 PM

clearly, the denali trip. no contest on the scenery. it's not close.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:59 PM

Message: clearly, the denali trip. no contest on the scenery. it's not close.

I have to disagree partly- where have you flown in the Arctic?? I do have to say flying the Gates of the Arctic Park superior to McKinley.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 06:12 PM

i've flown out of bettles. both are great flights, but the enormity of the denali/foraker/glaciers/wickersham wall put it over the top in my book.

perhaps the flights from bettles aren't as impressive as the fairbanks based ones.

whether you're in a bush plane, an old ERA Aviation Convair or a 737 (I remember a MarkAir pilot actually altering its flight path for a better view.) -- the Denali flights are outstanding.

But like much AK, weather is a huge part of the package.