Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Better scenery in Kauai, Oahu's North Shore, or BI?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
My honeymoon is scheduled for Aug. 7-20, flying from Boston into Oahu and out of Maui. We have the plane tickets set, and are staying at the Maui Hyatt (through Hotwire for $208/night) for the last 7 nights. My original plan was to spend 2 nights in Waikiki, 4 nights BI, and 7 nights Maui, but except for Maui, nothing is set in stone. Where do you all think is the "best" scenery in Hawaii -- Kauai and its North Shore, Oahu's North Shore, or the Big Island? Since we are from MA, it is unlikely we will go back anytime soon, and are hoping to see the types of landscapes and scenery that we would never experience here. Would you rate Waipaio Valley about the Na Pali coast or vice versa? We are big beach/water people, if that helps. Thanks for your opinions!
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 01:32 PM

It's really hard to compare the different islands. They all offer beautiful scenery. The Big Island has every possible climate...snow, beaches, desert, lava, and rainforests. Oahu and Kauai have more developed beaches because they're older. The Na Pali coastline is gorgeous but so is Waipio Valley. Have you been to any of the islands before?
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Nope, this is our first time, and it's so exciting for us to be able to go!
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 01:43 PM

Most people that I know who go to Waikiki say that they wish they had spent more time on the outer islands instead. Waikiki/Honolulu is very much like a miniature L.A....but with beachfront. It's noisy and Extremely crowded but fun. I would say bypass Oahu's north shore (although it is pretty) and see Kauai instead...but that's just my own opinion.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 02:41 PM

MHO- Kauai, BI and then the North Shore. Kauai is by far the lushest. For the future. Will you be staying in the Hilo area of the BI? Priceline is always lower than Hotwire. PL should have beat that price by much more. Go to biddingfortravel.com for info if you plan on using a bidding website for the rest of your stay.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 02:43 PM

Oorry for typo, I meant that in the future you will probably find PL is much cheaper than Hotwire for the same hotel. For example, most people get a hotel on Maui for $140 via priceline. There have been winning bids at $180 during peak times but I think the $208 Hyatt could have been had for less on PL. Lots of luck.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 02:54 PM

If you really think you won't return to Hawaii, please don't skip Oahu. There is a reason that Waikiki is crowded and touristy, and that's because it is so very beautiful. You can rent a car and drive away from the crowd in a very short time and see incredible beauty. Diamond Head is everyone's tropical dream, and Haunauma Bay is gorgeous, not to mention the Pali and the "other" side of the island.