Your Opinions-Which order Kauai, Big I, Oahu

Old Jan 17th, 2004, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your Opinions-Which order Kauai, Big I, Oahu

I'm thinking 6 nights Kauai, 7 nights Big Island and 3 nights Oahu
Example:
June 3 Austin - Kauai
June 9 Kauai - Big I (split stay both sides)
June 16 Big I - Oahu then home on the 19th
I'm just not sure whether to make Oahu first or last and then which next, Big Island or Kauai. I've been to the Big I & Oahu before. I would skip Oahu, & spend the extra time on BI & Kauai, but I'm taking a teenager who hasn't been. Everyone should see the Arizona, Diamond head, Punch bowl etc.. (Graduation Gift and my 20th anniversary) Your ideas and opinions would be great. Thanks!!!!!!!
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 05:58 AM

Aloha Mcary,

I think you should base your decision on how you want to start & end your vacation.

Regarding flying to O'ahu and staying there first, you'll be up EARLY the next few AMs, which offers great opportunity for Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, snorkeling Hanauma Bay early in the day... resting in the afternoon, or more exploring... windward, north shore, etc.

On to BI for more exploration, then Kauai for a more laid back time. There's much to see & do on Kauai, but by that time you will be more relaxed and moving in "aloha" time.

My guess is that you'll be flying in & out of O'ahu... so that really isn't a factor.

My choice would be Kauai last... you'll go home very relaxed and full of "aloha spirit"!

Whatever you choose, you'll have a great time. Happy Anniversary!!

Old Jan 17th, 2004, 10:21 AM

I agree with Makai. Not to mention, since Kauai and the Big Island are "slower" than Oahu, it's good to land & detox on Oahu first, before moving on to the other islands. And like makai says, when you leave you'll be really relaxed!
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 03:23 PM

I totally agree --- do Oahu first and then relax more on the other islands. We are thinking of a similar trip with our school age and teen age kids and will go in order Oahu, BI, then Kauai last. Like you, Oahu is more for the kids than for us, though I'm sure we'll have fun too.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 04:08 PM

Having been to all of the islands more than once, I agree with Miranda's itinerary: Oahu, Big Island, and then Kauai. I think it's fun to notice the relative desolation of the Big Island (newest in chain - still forming) vs. the lushness of the older, more established (evolutionarily-speaking) Kauai.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so Much, for everyones advise.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 04:46 AM

Oahu
Big Island
Kauai

If you do either Kauai or the BI first, I think you will be disappointed more with Oahu. You more than likely will land in Honolulu after a long trip. Logistically, it makes sense to begin your trip there and move on to either of the either islands, but I would save the best for last - Kauai - just my opinion, although we love the BI as well.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 09:04 AM

There are number of sights that everyone should see in the islands and few people make it to all, more don't even know what the sights are. One thing I have always learned is less is more in travel. My opinion, one island 10 days, Kauai or the Big Island. My mother had a similar plan as yours and she now mainly remembers only the flights of the trip. Just one opinion.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 09:23 AM

IMO, you will be fine doing three islands--we have done that sort of schedule several times--and you have divided your time well. I agree with the above posters on the order. Kauai is a lovely, laid-back island to end on after exploring Oahu and the B.I. Have fun!