Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best Western Hibiscus or Southernmost Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're heading to Key West for three nights and are trying to choose between the Best Western Hibiscus and the Southernmost Hotel. Rates are the same, parking is free at both, both have a hot tub (important in February! ). I like that Southernmost Hotel has beach access, but BW get more consistent reviews. Has anyone stayed at either property that can give me some direction? Thanks!
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Brutforce

Unless you have a specific reason for staying at that end of things, you should really consider staying closer to the other end of Duval. It is quite a khike from that end of things & you'll not want to mess w/a car. Since you will have a car, if I were going to a beach I would visit Bahai Honda instead. Not sure you'll be getting in the water in Feb. anyway.

Old Dec 14th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Hotels at the other end of Duval are almost double the price, and we don't mind walking the mile. Going with a group so can't relocate the whole trip to Bahia Honda. (And don't want to...we want to see Key West!)

Anyone have a preference between these two?
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 04:56 AM

Both are wonderful values and you can't go wrong with either but for the same price I woud go with the one with the beach access.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 04:58 AM

BTW - The other end is wonderful. Its full of some of the better places to eat, galleries and shops. Many people prefer it.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks No_Name...I'm kind of leaning towards the SH because of its beach. I know you don't go to Key West for the beaches, but it would be nice to have easy access to one for lazy days! And don't worry, we're planning on spending most of our time at the other end of Duval...we just figure the 15-minute walk is worth saving $100-200/night!
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 05:58 AM

Karameli--we stayed at the Southernmost about 3 years ago and liked it a lot. I certainly didn't mind the walk to Mallory Square, in fact it gives you a chance to see more of Key West! Have fun.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks sunbabe...good to hear a positive review from someone who's stayed! We're going to go with Southernmost...just can't argue with the beach, no matter how small it may be!
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 06:05 AM

FWIW you'll be within a few blocks of the Banana Cafe at 1211 Duval St. and Croissants de France at 816 Duval Street. Great Breakfasts!

About five blocks from Satiago's Bodega, three blocks off Duval on Petronia for tapas and white Sangria. About 10 blocks from Sarabth's at 530 Simonton St for meat or seafood dinner.

And half way to the La Concha Hotel for a sunset. "Your" side of the island is pretty much OK.

Pjk