Clearwater Hotels

Nov 16th, 2003, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Clearwater Hotels

Hi!
Has anyone stayed at either the Clearwater Beach Hotel or the Sheraton Sand Key Resort Clearwater Beach? How are they? We're thinking of choosing one of these but haven't been able to find any travel talk on them. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Nov 17th, 2003, 06:00 AM

If you stay at the Sheraton, you will have to get in your car or take the trolley across Clearwater Pass to get to Clearwater Beach. There is one small strip mall across the street, but other than that, all the restaurants, shops, putt-putt golf, pier 60 and pretty much everything else is on the other side of the bridge. The sand is "finer" at the Clearwater Hotel, as well. It is a little shelly from dredging done years ago down on sand key. If you just want to stay at the hotel on a quiet beach, go with the sheraton, if you want to be closer to the action, don't stay on sand key.
Nov 17th, 2003, 06:57 AM
cd

We enjoyed our stay at the Sheraton Sand Key. It is an older hotel but one of the cleanest I've been to. The staff was great. The beach is huge! A long walk from the pool to the water's edge. Ask for a water view as they all rooms do not face the beach. The Sand Key Trolley stops at the front door of this property but we always took our car everywhere. Have a good trip!
Nov 17th, 2003, 09:43 AM

We have stayed at the Sheraton a couple of times and really liked it. It is a nice family hotel if you have children with you. We have always had a car so it is just a short ride over the bridge to the "action".
Nov 17th, 2003, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Hi!
Thank you very much to everyone for your help. I think we'll stay at the Sheraton. Are there any restaurants we should definitely check out (and ones we should avoid)? It also sounds like it might be a good idea to rent a car. What's the parking situation like on the other side of the bridge? Thank you.
Nov 18th, 2003, 05:03 AM
jon

You made a good selection. Directly across the street from the Sheraton is the Columbia Restaurant. It has great Spanish food with a nice water view of the intercoastal.
I also recommend Leverocks and Bobby's Bistro, which are both across the bridge for you. They are great restaurants that the locals (me being one) love to eat at.

Enjoy your stay!
Nov 18th, 2003, 07:57 AM

You shouldn't have trouble parking at Clearwater Beach, especially if you are going sometime in the next couple of months. If you go from late February through June, that's a different story, especially during Spring Break. I personally could never go somewhere without a car, but I guess you really don't NEED a rental car if you are just staying around the beach. The "jolley trolley" will take you across the bridge, no problem. If you want a very nice restauraunt closeby, try the Island Way Grill, on Island Estates. It's right off the causeway getting onto the beach, (the trolley will take you there). It's a little pricey, but one of the nicest restaurants down that way. For casual dining, Frenchy's is good, there's two of them, one is on the water and makes a nice sunset dinner. "Sunsets at Julie's" is right on the main strip by the Adam's Mark, it has decent food, sneak around the side and go upstairs to have a nice dinner watching the sunset. There's a dive restaurant called "cooters" on one of the back streets at the beach, good food, good portions, nothing pretentious about the place. A local dive, but I've bever been dissapointed there. It's not scary or anything, just not what you would call elegant.
Nov 18th, 2003, 08:41 AM

For resturants I also recommened Bobby's Bistro and not because a good friend of mine is the manager!

Some corrections to mclaugt's message:

Frenchy has FOUR resturants on
Clearwater Beach, the waterside one is Rockaway, the "orginal" Frenchy's on Baymont St. across the street from the Clearwater Beach Hotel that Alex mentioned, Frenchys Saltwaters is just around the corner from the "orginal" AND NEXT DOOR to the Cooters mclaught mentions! I wonder how you missed that one mclaught! The 4th Frenchys is Frenchys South Beach, the old "Sunsets at Julie's"...is now a a Frenchys!

Enjoy your stay on our beautiful island Alex!
Nov 18th, 2003, 10:17 AM

I stand corrected. I only live 5 miles away from the beach and grew up here, but I only get out there about 2 times a year anymore. Pretty pathetic, I know, but I guess as I got older, Indian Rocks Beach started to appeal to me more and more. I'll blame it on the roundabout... LOL.
Nov 18th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Hi!
Thank you to everyone for your advice and comments. Just out of curiosity, when is spring break and how crazy busy will it be there during the last half of February? Thank you.
Nov 19th, 2003, 05:32 AM
OliveOyl

Spring break really picks up steam around the 2nd week in March and continues well into April. At that point in time, parking at the beach can be a problem...we've actually gotten out there and turned around and come back home! Traffic is a nightmare, especially around that darned roundabout. I too avoid it like the plague, in fact, have pretty much stopped using Clearwater Beach in favor of St Pete/Ft Desoto simply because of that one traffic circle. It's the double black diamond of driving!

Nov 22nd, 2003, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi!
Thank you for your help!