Best Way to Travel to the DC Area From NC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I will be traveling to the DC area, actually we are staying at National Harbor, in July. We are coming from NC. Google Map gives me 3 options: 95, 29, or 81. 95 is a big no-no as we have taken that route into Williamsburg a few times. My nerves are still unsettled from that journey. So that leaves us with 29 or 81. We are traveling with our 7 year old son, and my elderly father. Another thing to add, I don't like really curvy mountain-y roads... Sooooooooooo.... With that, what would our best option be? Or any other routes you suggest? Driving time really isn't that huge of a factor, as we are considering stopping somewhere overnight, possibly in Lynchburg. Any suggestions on places to stop and visit and places anyone recommends to dine along either of these routes are greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 10:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The Amtrak Silver Star leaves Rocky Mount at 10AM every day.
The Amtrak Carolinian leaves shortly before noon.
Riding either of these trains will get you to Washington Union Station in about 4.5 hours.
The fares for your family range from $140 for 4 coach seats (Saver fare) to about $260 for Business Class.
Do you need a car to get to National Harbor?
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 12:32 PM

Where in NC. If eastern it just makes sense to go 95.
Going to Williamsburg isn't DC
Time of travel--not at rush hour around DC will help.

But where are you starting from.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 12:35 PM

Since you mention 81 you can take 81 to 66 into DC.
Instead of just google telling you where to go, take a look at a map of NC and Virginia and look at the roads.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 02:32 PM

Yes, it depends entirely on where you are coming from.

My uncle in Alexandria always drove back and forth to Western Carolina on 29.

I-81 to I-66 is probably better for you if you live west of I-77.

But you're stuck with one of the busiest sections of 95 if you are going to National Harbor anyway, so if you are coming from Eastern or Middle NC, you might as well bite the bullet. Generally between 9 and 3 traffic isn't bad.

We have been to Washington by train from Richmond a lot (most recently last week) and you can pick it up in Raleigh or Rocky Mount. The train would be great if you were staying in the city, but I don't think it would work for National Harbor.

Please write a trip when you get back and tell us about staying out at National Harbor.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Coming from Shelby, NC. So kind of in the middle... Between Charlotte and Asheville. So really, any of those options would work. Just hate 95. We ride 95 all the way into Richmond, then took 64 into Williamsburg. I am assuming this would be the same route to DC, except stay on 95?
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 03:11 PM

Why not 95? It's not curvy nor mountainous. I-81 is in the mountains, but it's an interstate, which means it cannot be THAT curvy due to the building regulations (one in every five miles must be perfectly straight in case of need for emergency airplane landing - that was built into the highway regs in the '50s).

The train is too iffy. Good luck with it being on time, and it's a long haul too.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

There are parts of 95 that should come with a Death Trap warning sign. I know all interstates have their own places that are just as crazy. But, we had some pretty close calls that just tore my nerves up. Besides, my father prefers a more scenic route and if I can avoid 95, I'm happy, happy, happy.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Oh, Taking a train was never in the equation....
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

I can handle mountain travel... After all, we travel into Tennesee from NC 2-3 times a year. I just heard that 81 was pretty steep and curvy.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 04:31 PM

77 to 81 to 66. Easy.

I really think people ought to call up the MAP on the internet and take a look at it--like we did in the good old days with a paper one on our breakfast room table. LOL

And for pete's sake, from Shelby I would never go to DC on 95
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

We didnt take 95 FROM NC.... We rode 85 into Petersburg to Richmond. Just looking for a more scenic route with some interesting spots to stop. As we plan to take our time. Just not a fan of driving on busy interstates for very long periods time. Sheesh. But thanks for your rudeness, Gretch. We have a route picked out.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Rode 85 to Petersburg. Then from there, 95 into Richmond.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 10:04 AM

I really apologize. And I've driven that road a few times, and it ain't fun.
The 81 to 66 route looks straightforward,
But I really do mean to take a look at the map--now on the computer screen, and see that 81 and 66 are a good alternative.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Oh it's ok. My apologies for being snippy. Just a stressful day. That 81 to 66 is what we plan to go with. Now to try and mentally prepare myself for the DC traffic, aye aye aye. lol
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 12:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hesitate to enter the fray here but if you are interested in making the trip in two days, consider traveling 81 to Lynchburg or Charlottesville for the overnight. The second day you can take smaller roads through Gordonsville & Orange, crossing 95 at Fredericksburg continuing east over the Potomac River into Maryland. From there it's all north in MD to National Harbor.

This will be a more scenic trip on some of the backroads and will have you approaching National Harbor from the south east, pretty much avoiding any DC traffic until you get close to National Harbor. Not a quick trip though.

The 81 to 66 route is all highway, so a faster trip and it does avoid 95.

But once you hit the DC exurbs on 66, you will be in the thick of DC traffic all the way to your destination. I would work diligently not to be doing this during weekday rush hour.
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 03:47 AM

Well, I hesitated to suggest obxgirls' route but I have been worried all along about the route from either 95 or 66 to National Harbor AT THE WRONG TIME OF DAY. At the right time of day, either is trivial.

But if seeing stuff on your trip is important, you could visit Monticello or Ash Lawn or Montpelier on her route, and there is plenty of history in Fredericksburg. Best of all, you can go to the Gordonsville Barbecue, owned by a CIA* grad who returned home to preserve the local food culture. I sometimes drive the 120 mile round trip from Richmond it is so good.

The problem with her route (the 301 route) is the bridge over the Potomac. Once you are across, it is easy-peasy to National Harbor, but it is one of those high, spidery bridges like the old bridge in Charleston or the old bridge across the Mississippi at Vicksburg. For me, it's ten minutes of terror versus an hour of traffic.

Make your own pick, though back road from Charlottesvile to Fredericksburg followed by the hour on I-95 is maybe the best of both.