Best way to get from Logan to Waltham??

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:20 PM
Lee Ann

Best way to get from Logan to Waltham??

My family and I are arriving in Boston on a Tuesday around 6p.m. It's our first Boston vacation and after hearing legendary horror stories about the traffic, we're in a quandry about getting out to our hotel in Waltham that evening. Do we dare fight the Tunnel and try to get out to Waltham that way or head north when we leave the airport? Any help at all on routes would be GREATLY appreciated. Also, we don't want to take the car back into Boston for sightseeing. Where's the best place to pick up the T from Waltham? Feel free to share any other pointers we may need to know. Thanks in advance!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:30 PM
Mina

Lee Ann:

I travel to Boston a lot, land usually around the time you will land, and I just grit my teeth and deal with the traffic. (being from LA, it's nothing new.) My business always takes me to Waltham, and I just sit in the parking lot with everyone else through the Sumner tunnel and follow signs to the Mass Pike (90 west) to Waltham (then I think you take the 128N, but I travel so much I may be getting mixed up...don't blame me if you end up in Connecticut). I always seem to land during evening rush, so there's always traffic.

However, I have never once encountered traffic once I get to the 90, which I can't figure out why. I've driven it during morning, noon, and evening...no problems. I've had pretty smooth sailing from there.

The reason I don't venture to find any short-cut routes is because I'm not a local, and I'd rather sit in some traffic than get lost.

Also, I don't think the T goes out to Waltham, but maybe someone knows something I don't. Wouldn't be the first time!

One last thing...since this is your Boston vacation, may I ask why you are staying in Waltham? It isn't particulary close to any of the tourist sites. The last few years, while my business is always in Waltham, I stay in the Back Bay because it's a great area. Even in evening rush, the longest it's ever taken me to get to my hotel was 1 hour (technically, it could take only 10 minutes).

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:49 AM
xxx

Lee Ann,

There is a commuter train station in Waltham that runs to north station. You could catch the subway at Logan to get to North station. If you are staying in Waltham this is the best way to get to boston. North station is walkable to Quincy Market, North end, subways.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:49 AM
bm

No getting around the traffic during rush hour I'm afraid. The previous poster had the right directions..take the tunnel into the city (you'll want to be in the right lane in the tunnel), get on I-93 south (following signs for I-90 Mass Pike)for about a mile. Then take I-90 West(the exit is kind of hard to see and comes up quick due to the Big Dig-it's immediatly after you come out of the South Station tunnel-the 2nd tunnel you'll go through). Follow I90 west for approx 10 miles and take I-95/128 North to Waltham. You'll have to pay two 50 cent tolls.
The nearest subway station would be in Newton-either Riverside or Woodland. Woodland is located just off the Route 16 Newton exit off 95/128, next to Newton-Wellesley Hospital. Check www.mbta.com for rates and directions.

Old May 24th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Lee Ann

Thanks for all the info! We just decided to take a vacation spur of the moment and found a package deal on Boston. In it, the hotel's in Waltham. We really, however, are planning to spend a lot of our vacation touring the various New England states. (My family's big on checking out the scenery while I'm determined to see the historical sights in Boston.) I know we won't be able to do the trip justice with only six days, but we're going to have fun trying.