Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best way from LAX to Long Beach/San Pedro?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 03:02 PM
kah

I'm arriving alone at LAX at 10:30 pm on a Friday and need to get to Long Beach to meet my husband for a cruise which leaves the next day at 5pm.

What's the easiest, safest and most economical way between these places?

Thanks!

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 03:18 PM
Michele

Will you have a car? Or will you be using public transportation. (Which is really non-existant in LA) I'm assuming you will be staying in a hotel at the airport for the evening?

The easiest way would be to take the 405 fwy south. Though a Friday around rush hour, be prepared for major traffic jams. You could also take Pacific Coast Hwy, but it can be confusing at parts.

Both are safe, but I'm presuming you won't be taking a bus to your destination.

A little more info would be nice to truly help out.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 03:38 PM
kam

Would recommmend a Super Shuttle. They are the blue vans that circle LAX and you will find a dispatcher right outside the door from your terminal. You just give them your destination and they will take you there=---minimum 3 other stops.Should be very easy and very safe.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 03:38 PM
Thyra

Hi Kah, actually if you need to get to the port in Long Beach, you can take the Metro Blue line. It's part of the new subway system that you can take all the way from the valley if you so desire. But if you need to leave from the port at San Pedro, you will have to travel over two long bridges that go between the two ports and Terminal Island.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 03:51 PM
kam

Thyra, While I understand what you're posting, am assuming Kah doesn't know LA well. Don't you think Super Shuttle is the way to go?

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 03:58 PM
kah

I wasn't sure if renting a car for one night for the ride to LB was the best way to go. I'll be on EST so for me it will be 1:30 am and I've NEVER driven in LA traffic. I was wondering about cabs, shuttles, etc.

We are planning on staying in LB beause that's where my husband will be. He's going ahead of me on business.

Thanks for your help so far!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:34 AM
kah

Two more questions: Do I need reservations for Super Shuttle? And any idea how much it might cost?

Thanks again!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 08:29 AM
deborah

www.supershuttle.com

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 10:43 AM
Michele

Kah,
Okay, I think I'm understanding you - you are arriving at LAX and then going to meet your husband at a hotel in LB that same night, correct?

Take the super shuttle. It's not worth renting a car for that short period of time. You'll probably be exhausted and then trying to find a hotel on top of that. The shuttle will pick you up from the airport and drop you off at the hotel. You can call them for a reservation, but I doubt you will have much problem simply getting the shuttle once you arrive. (Low traffic time) The fare shouldn't be that expensive, but they can give you a quote when you contact them.