Best way Boston to Cape?

Search

Best way Boston to Cape?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way Boston to Cape?

We are planning to drive to the Falmouth area of the Cape. We always take rte 3 out of Boston, but someone tells me that taking rte 24 to 495 is actually quicker. What's the consensus?
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:20 AM

I usually go the Rte 3 down from Boston, taking the Rte 24/495 only if I'm coming from the 495/or old rte 128 area further up - there is some road work also being done on 24, so I think much of it depends on what time of day you are leaving and what day of the week - when you are actually going?
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

We will be passing thru Boston about 9:30 am on a Friday if this is a factor.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:23 AM

Either way is fine (unless the road work on 24 causes big delays). It sort of depends on where in Falmouth you want to end up. Some parts of Falmouth (east) are more easily accessible from rt 6 than rt 24.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:38 PM

At 9:30 am on a Friday you should be fine.
You may hit some leftover commuter traffic in the immediate Boston vicinity, but this is often less congested during the summer when people tend to be on vacation or take a long weekend and it wouldn't truthfully hold you up at all unless , as on any road, there is some m ajor accident or hang up.

I like the Rte 3 also b/c should you choose to stop for any reason, I feel there are nicer stops/ say in the off chance you feel like scooting down to Plymouth Harbor for a late breakfast/early lunch/ice cream - or anywhere near the rotary at some of the roadside stands. It's such a quick hop off the highway to stretch your legs along the harbor and see any of the following - the view/mayflower/plimoth rock/jenny grist mill - and hop back on.

If you feel like scenic route you can even go the back road for awhile - I know some who enjoy the old Route 3A / South Shore route out of Boston, along Wollaston Beach, past Hingham harbor, a quick jog to see Cohasset or Scituate Harbor, and then jump on Rte 3 in the Marshfield/Pembroke area and make a beeline for Falmouth - or also stop in Plymouth.

But as said, either way is fine, matter of choice and final destination - but at that hour either way should be moving traffic-wise.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:35 PM

Keep in mind the Sagamore rotary area is under construction and once you pass exit 2 there is no turning back. Personally, I'd go 24 to 495.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:42 PM

I've travelled back and forth both ways to Falmouth going through Boston. Without traffic, which you shouldn't hit at that time, they are both fairly quick although rte24/495 seemed a little faster to me.

also, be aware that there are a lot of speed traps on Route 3. I always see people pulled over by the staties when travelling to the cape via this route.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:46 PM

I just have been through that rotary area 3 times in the past week, including Sunday afternoon, and the traffic was moving smoothly.

Whichever route you take, AM is better than PM. If you're going through Boston at 9:30, or even a little later, you should have no problems with Route 3.

Don't be alarmed if you run into some congestion in Braintree (where route 3 and 93 split) or at the Weymouth/Hingham line, where the right-hand lane suddenly disappears without warning, a half-mile before Exit 15. Those are caused by the stupid traffic patterns and do not necessarily reflect on the traffic south of those points.