Reload this Page >

Best UpScale Resort in Continental US

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Doc

I'm looking for advice on your favourite upscale resort, preferably beachside, in the continental US. Thanks!

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 03:58 PM
x

Little Palm Island, Florida Keys.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 07:27 AM
xxx

Hotel Del (So. Cal), The Breakers (Fla), Boca Raton Resort & Club (Fla), Jekyll Island Club (Georgia), Kiawah (SC), Wild Dunes (SC), Delano (Fla), Naples Ritz Carlton (FLa), Don Cesar (Fla).

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Boobie

Fisher Island Florida(Miami)

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 10:20 PM
Brad

The best beachside resorts in the US are:
Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel
Ritz Carlton Naples
Ritz Carlton Amelia Island
Ritz Carlton Palm Beach, FL
Little Palm Island, FL
Fisher Island Club, FL
The Cloister, Sea Island Georgia

The Wauwinet on Nantucket is close, but not as upscale accommodations-wise as the price would suggest it should be. Setting is outstanding.
The Sanderling in Duck, NC (Outer Banks)is similar.
Turnberry Isle is nice also.

Some people would include the Four Seasons Santa Barbara, Bacara Santa Barbara, Hotel Del Coronado SD, Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica, St Regis Dana Point CA....I've stayed at most of these and would not rate them with the above).

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 04:56 AM
former nyc resident

Though not beach, you must include The Greenbrier in this listing. With one of the most beautiful, impressive and historic main building in the US, incredible cottages and separate houses for rental as well, vast infrastructure including golf courses, riding, indoor and outdoor swimming, falconry, mountain biking, white water rafting, first run movies, several evening dining options, dancing for various age group types, amazing food and just wonderful, down south old fashioned service and tremendous history, plus a variety of very unique shops and an artist colony, it is a special place that is one-of-a-kind and should be visited several times at least over the course of a lifetime. It is in the hill country of West Virginia which is lovely and they have programs for all seasons, including things like gourmet cooking classes off season, I believe xcountry skiing, etc. It is a wonderful place for families, family reunions or just a couple. It was built prior to the Civil War, used as a hospital during, and also as a recovery home for soldiers returning from WWII. It has a settled, serene feeling with ancient trees and plantings everywhere of the type only find in the south. In the summer, tanning at the pool and viewing the gorgeous scenery is just as pleasant as any beach. And there are lots of touches that have died out everywhere else in the US except in certain corners of the south, certain touches of grace and hospitality of another era, combined with modern elegance. If you want to do something that is not another "me too", where every bedroom is spectacular and makes you feel like you are living in a fantasy world for the rich and famous of 100 years ago, and you like to dress for dinner at night, and you like to have tons of options of things to do for any weather and any age group, this is the place. They also have a spectacular riding program.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 05:22 AM
susan

Oh, how I wish I could agree with you about the Greenbrier. Much of what you say is true. However, we spent three L-O-N-G days there, on our own, but when the resort was completely overrun with an insurance convention. It was a nightmare. No gentile Southern charm oozed out between those masses of loud and obnoxious conventioneers.
If you go, I'd suggest you make sure there are no conventions going on then.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 05:32 AM
former nyc resident

Susan, you are right about the Greenbrier hosting conventions! All the hotels on the lists stated on the posts here are subject to that problem. Just try the Breakers! It will be all trial lawyers or orthodontists or something! I don't think a single place suggested is free from this peril. My stays at the Hotel Del have always been when conventions were present. I think maybe Jekyll Island or Kiawah are less prone, but I do agree with Susan 100% -- in any of these places, check it out first! Avoid conventions and spring break like the plague!

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 05:33 AM
former nyc resident

PS Little Palm Island cannot POSSIBLY have conventions but I have heard scary things about the mosquito problem there...just something to confirm from other guests...if you are willing to go to Little Palm you might as well keep going right straight to the Carib itself.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Been

My husband and I have been to LPI 3x and have never had a problem with mosquitos. I understand from the personnel there that because of always having a breeze across the island and limited free standing fresh water, they are rarely a problem.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 05:53 AM
nina

I have to disagree with Brad. I think the rooms at the Wauwinet are far, far superior than any Ritz Carlton, and I've been to quite a few of them! The common rooms and guest rooms are without a doubt the nicest I've seen anywhere with the exception of the Rgent Chiang Mai, but even then it's close. They are beautiful, tasteful and elegant. The epitome of Nantuket style. I may be biased though, as it's on my very favorite island in the world.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 06:02 AM
x

Little Palm Island or Naples Ritz Carlton

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Brad

Well, nina, I'll have to disagree with you and question how many RC's you've been to and what your standards are.
The rooms at Wauwinet are nice, but they're casual, country inn nice. Which is fine, since that's in keeping with the atmosphere in the area and on Nantucket in general. The goal is not to re-create a luxury hotel environment. It's supposed to feel like a second home.
All RC's (even the ones in casual tropical areas) maintain a certain luxury-oriented decor, with crown moldings, marble baths, gold fixtures, Victorian style in most cases.
I don't think that would be appropriate at the Wauwinet.
But to say that the Wauwinet's rooms are 'far superior' to all Ritz Carltons is ridiculous.
Depends, I suppose on your definition of nice.
But a RC room, mahogany trimmed, hunter green and burgundy, with a marble fireplace, crown moldings, heavy tapestry drapes with sheers, 8 pillows, marble bath with separate glass shower and tub etc etc etc is 'nicer' (by my definition) than a room decorated like a sun porch with wicker and pine furniture.

Again, nothing against what the owners of the Wauwinet have chosen to do with their inn. It fits the atmosphere well. But you're comparing a MINI Cooper to a Mercedes S class and saying the MINI is far nicer.
Eye of the beholder I suppose, but I'm sure you're in the minority.