Reload this Page >

Need new luxury destination in U.S.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:39 PM
jj

Husband & I need new ideas for vacation in September. No more Jamaica, Mexico, Caribbean - staying close to home. Required: beach, quietude, luxury, swimming pool, great food on site or nearby, no dressing up, and NONSTOP air from Philly. Possibilities: Song of the Sea in Sanibel, Naples Ritz-Carlton, Sunset Key resort. Any other ideas, maybe in Southwest? Thanks in advance.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:49 PM
jj

P.S. Yes, I know there are no beaches in the Southwest! We just want that "beach feeling."

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 11:19 PM
Allan

I think the Ritz in Naples certainly fills the bill for what you want! Two other possibilities, which require longer travel, would be the Ritz in Laguna Beach, CA (Dana Point) or the brand new St. Regis in Laguna as well (yes, affiliated with the property in NY)! Oh, it just occurred to me -- Turnberry Isle in North Miami is quite nice, too, as is the brand new Acqualina Condo/Hotel on Sunny Isles Beach, FL, in Miami, a Rosewood Hotels resort!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Renee

I've got the perfect spot for you. Little Palm Island off the Florida Keys. Very luxurious, quiet and casual, no dressing up! It is very pricey though. The Ritz Naples is very nice, but I was bored stiff there. Also you may feel uncomfortable wandering the lobby in the evening without a jacket and tie as well as dining without dressing up.

In Arizona the Biltmore and the Phoenician are great spots as well.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Gordon

jj your tastes are like mine. I plan these types of trips every year.
Unfortunately, if you're limiting your candidates to the continental US, there's not a great deal to choose from.
There's Florida, some non-beach options in Arizona, limited So California options, and that's about it.
In Florida:
Ritz Naples (not the new RC golf resort)
Fisher Island Club
Turnberry Isle
Little Palm Island
Four Seasons Palm Beach
In Arizona:
Boulders north of Scottsdale
Phoenician
In California:
Bacara in Santa Barbara

If you were willing to compromise more the best options by far are in Hawaii.
Next best compromises would be in Las Vegas (Four Seasons, Bellagio).
And in So Cal: Peninsula Beverly Hills, FS Beverly Hills, FS Newport.

The continental US lacks the kind of places you take for granted in the Caribe or Hawaii.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Jill

How about The Point near Saranac Lake, New York? I've never been but it sounds fabulous.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Renee

Friends stayed there. It is very nice but they thought overpriced. (It's over $ 1,000/nt). For almost half that they would stay at the Lake Placid Lodge, run by the same people, just as nice.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:54 AM
amanda

jj -
I've stayed at Song of the Sea on Sanibel. I loved it - but not sure if I'd call it a luxury spot. It's a small, very comfortable property. Rooms all have kitchenettes. Sanibel/Captiva has beautiful beaches and great restaurants.

Remember, September is hurricane season, and the sand fleas are out in full force.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 09:08 AM
xxx

Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niguel in California. Very close to Laguna Beach which is a great beach town.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Sam

Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego, or a upscale hotel in La Jolla.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 10:10 AM
John

The Ritz in Laguna Niguel. Much better than the St. Regis Monarch Beach, which is having lots of opening pains and may take some time to get up to par.

Also, the Four Seasons Biltmore in Santa Barbara is a nice place. We tried both that and the Bacara last year. While the Bacara was newer and more isolated, the Four Seasons was better with regard to service and we enjoyed their beach club.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 10:23 AM
yankee

I vote for Little Palm Island, off the coast of the Keys. It's a quick flight to Miami and a couple of hours drive from the airport. Well worth the drive. Luxious, beautiful, peaceful...can't wait to go back. Check out the website.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Glenn

The Point and Lake Placid Lodge are about as opposite of beach and sun as you can get.
And while the LPL is a great place, it is not "just as nice" as The Point. Less privacy, not as service oriented, smaller rooms (unless you book a cabin at LPL) with more rustic furnishings.
Do I think the Point is worth ~$1400 per night? No.
But it's definitely nicer than LPL.
It's been the top rated small inn in America many times on many lists during recent years.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 09:02 PM
jj

THANK YOU to everyone who posted for some really great suggestions!!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Jeff

Great suggestions!
If one is only interested in a luxurious "divine" room for a very special occasion, which hotel gets your vote for ultimate in pampering?

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Beaches

Why don't you go to Death Valley and take a couple jugs of water?
You get the sun, sand, and that "beach feeling".

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Katherine

If you don't want to drive to Little Palm Island, the same small chain owns the Grove Isle Club and Resort in Coconut Grove, Miami - it's very secluded on a small island, very romantic rooms right on the water with terraces, amazing restaurant on premises (Baileen), pool, tennis courts, very small, great atmosphere.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 11:49 AM
Jeanne

I know its not the continental US, but what about Bermuda? It's a quick flight from Pittsburgh.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 12:24 PM
jj

Yes, I looked into Bermuda extensively because it's so close (Philly not Pittsburgh). Main problem is we are spoiled because when we go away (September) it is low season thru the Caribbean, Florida, etc. so we get best of low rates & no crowds. September is high season in Bermuda. The resorts that looked most interesting to us were the Reefs & Ariel Sands. In U.S., Grove Isle Club sounds interesting as do all the other places. I keep coming back to this post every week or so and keep finding more great stuff from new people who post. So thanks everybody!

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 12:31 PM
jj

P.S. Jeanne - Where would you suggest in Bermuda? We will probably go one day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -