Best to live - Sedona Scottsdale or Santa Fe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am actually looking to try living in all three, but want to buy a house in one while I can still afford it. Preferably the one I will end up living in for a long chunk of time. I am 51, single, fashionable, and love traveling (of course being a Fodorite), the arts, and great scenery. I'm currently working in state gov't and have a degree in communications but 1/2 way thru my Masters in Mental Health Counseling so one of the places might be a better bet than another in terms of career once I have my degree. I want to go into private practice. I'm looking for a cultural experience that isn't so bland, white bread, Mickey-D ized. Any comments?
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Based on all you have said I would choose Santa Fe. Scottsdale is definetly fashionable but I think the cultural experience there would be more bland. I am assuming you have visited all places. Which place sings to you? For me, it would be Santa Fe!!
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 12:24 PM
LN

I think you've said it!!!

"I'm looking for a cultural experience that isn't so bland, white bread, Mickey-D ized."

Santa Fe - it's probably the highest cost but I think it has what Sedona and scottsdale do NOT have.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Actually Sedona takes my breath away and makes my heart beat faster. I feel the spiritual energy. But I feel it in Santa Fe also and think there might be more social opportunities and job opportunities than in Sedona. Sedona is also pretty much out of my price range for a house right now.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Santa Fe is pretty expensive, but given the heat in Arizona, that would be my first choice as well. Four seasons, a diverse population, state government offices out the wazoo and opportunitites to pursue your counseling career as well.

Lee Ann
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

I have been in contact with a realtor about some condos in Santa Fe in my price range. My only concern is the elevation. I have visited twice and could feel it but it was manageable. I hope I could adapt. Thanks for the input. Good things to consider
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:23 AM

I would live temporarily in Santa Fe before I made it permanent. Its not for everyone. As a single woman I would be concerned about the crime. I live not to far from there and I would not recommend it. Nice place to visit but....
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:09 AM

Travelina,

I'm curious why you wouldn't recommend living in Santa Fe? I'm familiar with the crime from reading the Santa Fe New Mexican online, but there is crime everywhere - even here in bland Grand Rapids, Michigan. My husband and I are planning to relocate there next fall and any info you can give me would be great. Thx!
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 03:39 PM
TahitiTams

HI..
I agree about temp living in Santa Fe..I have been going there for over 20 years and its so homogenized and so overated...the crime has gotten really bad and I think that Taos is a much better town..
I love Sedona and we have looked at getting a second home but finding a second home for under $800k doesn't make financial sense..I like Scottsdale but would never live there...Phoenix in general is a concrete smog wasteland. IMO...
Have you looked into other cities?
What type of budget are you looking at and is the Southwest your preference?
Best to you..