Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

best time for panhandle beaches April or May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are wanting to spend some time at St Andrews State Park and St Josephs Peninsula State Park which are both in the Florida Panhandle.

We can go either early April or later in the month into the first week of May. Which would be the best time?

We are thinking water temperatures, bugs and crowds. We will be tent camping. Would love to kayak and play in the water.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 12:35 PM

The later you can go, the better, as the water does not warm up as fast as the air does. The AVERAGE in April is only 70 degrees or so.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 01:17 PM
cd

St Joseph's State Park on the tip of Cape San Blas is a beautiful Park. We go to the Cape every winter so if you want any info, just ask. May would of course be warmer and if I had the choice, the one I would take. http://www.happyourskayak.com/
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 01:31 PM

if youre going in the water,the later the better.If you like fishing for reds etc,late april is when the baitfish show up,but April and May are good.Be sure to visit Applachicola while youre there--you can also hire a local guide to take you on a tour of the marshes going up the river etc,and potentilly fish.If intersted in guides,repost.Dont know if they allow camping on St Vincents Island,but its pretty rustic,as is Dog Island
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 01:55 PM
cd

bigbomoho, I would be interested in the tour of the marshes. Who does that?
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 03:35 PM

If you are not aware, Apalachicola produces Florida's finest oysters. April and May are still good season. Wish I were there with you.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

We are heading to St Josephs State Park. Have a few extra days and want to camp in another state park and do some kayaking/canoeing. After we leave St Joe we will head in the direction of Okefenokee. We tent camp and enjoy the quiet so a nice campground which also is near the water would be wonderful for another day.
any suggestions?
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 04:36 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Where are you headed after the Okefenokee? There's a great state park north of Orlando with amazing kayaking. I don't know where you are coming from/heading.

Within a few miles of St George Island there's a great place to kayak in a beautiful freshwater river. I was the third kayaker and was just a tagalong. I can try to find the location from the leader. We passed one motorized boat going downstream as we were going upstream but that was the only other boat on the river for several hours.

There's an island off of Indian Pass too that would be a good (short) saltwater kayak trip if you are interested. All of these are within 20 miles or so from St Joe.

St Joe Bay should be good for kayaking too. One day I'm going scalloping there.

NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, DON'T MISS www.indianpassrawbar.com
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 04:39 PM

http://www.indianpasscamp.com/location.html
St Vincent National Wildlife Refuge = the island
Just found out there's a campground at the end of Indian Pass
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 04:44 PM

Probably too far for your trip, but this is a great place to canoe/kayak
http://www.canoewekiva.com/
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 04:56 PM

Definitely May, the weather should be quite pleasant then. It can get pretty chilly in April, and the water will still be rather cool if you want to swim. You might luck out with some good weather in April, but your odds are better in May.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 06:01 AM
cd

Starrs "Within a few miles of St George Island there's a great place to kayak in a beautiful freshwater river." Where? I'm intested!
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 11:52 AM

cd, I'll ask the organizer. As I remember (which may or may not be accurate) you head west towards Indian Pass from the bridge off STI, get almost to IP, turn north on a paved road for about a mile or two and then take a left on a dirt road - then almost an immediate right to the put-in underneath/next to the bridge. I tried to find it on the map and it may be the river coming out of the lake that's north. That's from memory. I'll ask the person that had the directions. A group of us rented a house at SGI but only 3 of us ended up going kayaking...and I was just along for the ride. It was very nice though.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 12:35 PM
cd

Thanks Starrs. We will be there this year until Mar 15 and I believe kayaking begins Mar 1. Just let me know if you find out!
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

we are looking at Ochlockonee River State Park. Has anyone camped or canoed here?