Reload this Page >

Best thing to do on Big Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 12:25 PM
amber

My best friend and I are going to be in Kona the first week of December. We are trying to get ideas of what attractions we want to see and activities to do. So the question is What has been your favorite thing to see or do on the Big Island of Hawaii? We will have a car, so transportation will not be a problem.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 12:36 PM
chris

Waipao Valley, it's heavenly.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 12:53 PM
noname

Rent a kayak & snorkel gear and go to captain cooks. Kayak rental will have directions

Volcano National Park worth the drive

Horseback riding was a real experience in Wiapo Valley. Alot of the natives live with no phone or electricity, the real deal, breath taking

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 01:16 PM
xxx

Agree with above: kayak to captain cook monument for great snorkeling and seeing the volcano at night were the highlights of our trip last December. have fun!

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 02:33 PM
M.

In no particular order my faves were: Waipio Valley by mule-drawn wagon, hiking Volcano National Park, Mauna Kea tour, snorkling, esp.from Cook's Cove.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 04:39 PM
kam

the really unique thing that the Big Island has to offer is the Volcano. Where else are you going to see one?

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 11:17 PM
diane

The best snorkeling we did on three islands was at Kahalu'u on the Big Island. It's great if you are beginners because you don't have to swim out to the reef to see great, colorful fish. It's a good idea to have reef shoes, not to stand on the coral reef, which you should NOT do, but to stand on lava rocks. I bought mine in Waikiki for about $12, but my husband took his that he had bought at Walmart or somewhere (on the mainland) for about $7.

Kahalu'u is about 6 miles south of Kona. They rent snorkel equipment there, with or without fins. You can snorkel in quite shallow water, so fins are unnecessary. I felt more in control without them.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 11:26 PM
Melissa

FYI....
My friends went to South Point on the Big Island last week, which is the southernmost point in the United States. They thought they could take a commemorative photo there, but there was.....nuthin. So don't go out of you way to get there!

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 05:25 AM
max

A helicopter ride is expensive but spectacular. However, the airplane ride, while cheaper, does not take you close/low/slow enough to be as good.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 06:07 AM
L.S.

I so agree with Max. A few years back my family booked a single-engine plane, not a helicopter. What a mistake! Didn't really see much, it was noisy and the fumes made us sick.
Moral of the story: if you wish to see Hawaii by air, spring for a helicopter!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Joe

BI,
The Volcano National Park, is the must do thing. We were there last week and the lava is flowing down chain of crater road. Keep checking for updates. If lava is acessible, go at night, don't forget the flashlights and have wonderful time. It is beyond any description to see water, lava and stars so bright. Waipo'o valley is nice, you need 4wd drive to drive down the road. But if you have the chance go to Kauai and visit Waimea Canyon. The Waipo'o valley on the BI does'nt even come close.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:32 AM
John R.

Don't forget the summit of Mauna Kea... literaly some of the best stargazing in the world is available at the summit, and the landscape up there looks like another planet.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:40 AM
John

In addition to above excellent suggestions, visit the Place of Refuge. Very mystical and beautiful.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:53 AM
helen

The VNP is the top attraction on the island and one of the top attractions statewide. If the lava is flowing it is a sight you'll remember forever.

Waipio Valley has a nice lookout and Akaka Falls is interesting.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:59 AM
bettyk

We liked the following (info from http://www.konaweb.com/):

Hapuna Beach State Park - This broad white sand beach with a view of Maui is perhaps the best beach on the island for ease of access and lots of soft, white sand. Lie on your back in the warm ocean, and look up at 13,000 ft. snow-capped Mauna Kea.

Punalu'u - On the southeast side of the island is this little beach of beautiful black sand with huge coconut palms. A few facilities and not too much traffic make it a good place to visit, but what makes it really a treat is the abundance of sea turtles that thrive in this cove. The water can be a little cool due to fresh water springs that bubble up from beneath the rocks.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:04 PM
Melissa

I went to the top of Mauna Kea this past weekend and it was awesome (but freezing). Like John R. says, it really did look like the terrain of another planet, it was just so neat. We watched the sunset, then drove halfway down to stargaze. We saw the Milky Way and everything, it was so cool!!! Since you are spending a week there, seeing this one night and seeing the volcano one night is no problem. We also hiked in Hamakua (thru a tour company) and it was like walking thru a lost world, with incredible ocean views and fabulous waterfalls.

And don''t forget to eat mac nut pies and drink Kona coffee!