Search

Mauna Kea Summit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Lois

Mauna Kea Summit

I would like to visit the Mauna Kea Summit on the Big Island. I am concerned, however, about the warnings regarding altitude sickness. If you have visited the summit, please tell me about your experience.

Did you experience elevation sickness?
How was the driving?
Did you take the free tour?
How long were you up at the summit?
What did you wear?

Thanks!

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 04:40 PM
kalena

Very busy now...not enough time to properly respond, so I topped a recent thread. It should at least get you started.
Aloha,
k

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:05 PM
kalena

Since no one else has had the time to weigh in, here's the observatory's official website.

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/

You'll also find a recent discussion here if you search under "Mauna Kea Observatory".

Take care,
k

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Lois

kalena, thanks for the info. I am having trouble finding out where the lava is currently flowing. Even with a location, it is hard to understand where it is since I have never been there before.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:11 PM
Melissa

Lois, I was in a group of about 20 people and I don't think we experienced altitude sickness. I was a little worried as the 2 oldest were 62 and 72. However, they did get carsick....it is a long ride. It is not recommended that you stay up on the summit too long, though, as the air is so thin it may make you dizzy. We stayed long enough to watch the sunset. Then drove halfway down to stargaze. We all wore warm clothes and the tour company provided parkas as well, which was helpful!

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:04 PM
kalena

Hi there, Lois.

Try the US Geological Survey site for updated info on the current rift eruption off Kilauea. Mind you, that's quite different from Mauna Kea, a dormant volcano.

http://wwwhvo.wr.usgs.gov/gallery/kilauea/erz/main.html