Best spot in Sicily???

Search

Best spot in Sicily???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best spot in Sicily???

Thanks to all who answered my earlier message! Much appreciated. I do have a slight amendment though. I guess I just want to know what people think is simply the best spot to spend four days in Sicily, regardless of my earlier question about ruins.

Details: My two sisters and I, all of whom are btwn 22-27, are planning to go to Sicily the first week of June. We will only be there for four days so I'm thinking we only really have time for one town. I could really use a recommendation for which town we should stay in. At this point I am really torn btwn:

Palermo/Mondello
Taormina
Cefalu
Lipari or one of the other islands
Agrigento

Anyone have any suggestions for which town and, if so, what hotel to stay in when we're there?

Thanks ahead of time!
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:29 AM

You'll probably get more help if you post this question on the Europe, rather than US, board. Good luck!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 05:44 AM

I've never been to Lipari and the other islands, but here are my thoughts on the others, having visited all within the past few weeks...

What about spending 2 or 3 nights in Palermo plus 1 or 2 in Agrigento? Palermo is fun, and you could certainly occupy yourself there for 4 days including short side excursions like Monreale. But in my opinion it's a shame to visit Sicily and not see a little more of the countryside. I really liked Agrigento, and the Valley of the Temples is amazing, but 4 days would be too much to spend there. Also I can recommend a wonderful B&B in Agrigento: Terrazze di Montelusa.

As for Taormina, I think 4 days is too long. Once you've visited the Greek theater there's not a lot to do except shop, and while you can do side trips such as Mt. Etna, there is a lot of traveling time involved.

Likewise I think 4 days is more than you'd need for Cefalu. You could combine Palermo and Cefalu, but personally I'd vote for Agrigento over Cefalu because of the ruins.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 06:41 PM

I agree that any one place in Sicily is too long for four days: I actually spent about ten days traveling throughout the island with 4 days in Taormina....which was way tooo long! My fav hotel in Agrigento was the Athena, which a gorgeous view of one of the Greek temples. Do not missing going to Pizza Armenia (sp) which is a Roman house excavated years ago with beautiful mosaics.
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:29 AM

You can have a look on this article http://www.volcanoetna.com/en/travel...in-sicily.html

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 07:52 PM

1-2 days Taormina
1 day exploring Mount Etna
1-2 days Siracusa
flying in and out of Catania

or

flying in and out of Palermo
1 day Palermo
1 day Trapani
1 day Egadi Islands
1 day elsewhere on the western coast

or

flying into Catania
1 day Siracusa
2 days Agrigento (with stops in towns along the way from Siracusa to Agrigento)
1 day Palermo
fly out of Palermo