Reload this Page >

Best Southwest City in December?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Jeff

My wife and I are considering a 3-night weekend trip in early December to the Southwest. We are looking for a destination that offers great natural beauty combined with upscale hotel/spa and dining options. Our primary activities will be sight seeing/shopping, spa treatments, and maybe a short jaunt to the surrounding area for a hike or snowshoe (depending on location). We prefer to stay in the city center or very near it. It seems Santa Fe, Tucson, and Sedona all seem attractive. Would appreciate any recommendations or pointers on the pluses and minuses of these cities in December.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 11:29 AM
fee

Can't comment on Sante Fe, but will take a shot at the other two.

Tucson has some nice spas and resorts, but it can get a little cool there in Dec., cooler than Phoenix anyway. Also, Tucson offers some interesting sites in the mountains north of the city, but the city itself isn't much to write home about.

For picturesque vistas, Sedona is the spot. The red rock views are something. Also, however, Sedona can be cool in Dec. We were there once in March, and it snowed -- although maybe that's what you're looking for. If you can find the right spa (we didn't stay at one), Sedona may be just the place for a 3-day visit. After 3 days, you've about seen all there is to see.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 11:55 AM
sasha

Have you considered (or for some reason ruled out) Scottsdale, AZ? It is right outside of Phoenix, and seems to have everything on your list: natural beauty...upscale hotels, spas, and dining...great shopping...hiking...

If you want to check out a couple of upscale hotels on the internet, try the Phoenician, Royal Palms, or the Arizona Biltmore.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 12:12 PM
xxx

Santa Fe will be cold and chilly in December. But that doesn't necessarily make it a bad choice if you don't mind the cold.

Scottsdale is a good choice for a warm location.

Las Vegas rules when it comes to shopping, spa treatments and great dining choices. And there are places to see beautiful outdoors in the nearvy area. Great time of year for luxurious hotel lodging at much reduced prices in Las Vegas.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 12:20 PM
kkj

Sasha was right when she suggested Scottsdale. However, only one hotel that she mentioned happens to be in Scottsdale -- The Phoenician. The others are in Phoenix. Scottsdale is filled with great resorts that would be just what you would be looking for. Everything from the Scottsdale Princess to the Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain. Of the locations that you mentioned Scottsdale/Phoenix would have the best weather and would be close enough to just about any activities that you would like to do.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 01:35 PM
David

Jeff,

Having never been to Sedona, I can't comment but I will tell you what I know about Santa Fe. My girlfriend and I discovered Santa Fe in December of 1999 and have returned every year since. Santa Fe has everything you’re looking for in a Southwestern city: nice hotels, wonderful restaurants and shopping, and a world-class spa (Ten-Thousand Waves). The main area (the Plaza) is concentrated and most everything is within walking distance.

The wonderful smell of mesquite and pinon pine hangs in the air this time of year and the low-lying hills surrounding Santa Fe offer plenty of opportunities for hiking and snowshoeing. It can get pretty cold there in December but many of the hotels feature rooms with kivas and many hotel lobbies have fireplaces as well.

Santa Fe has become one of our favorite winter destinations and we plan to return again and again and again…

Let me know if you have specific questions and I’ll try my best to offer them. There is also a pretty good web site for info: www.santafeliving.com.

Have fun,

Davidcs