Reload this Page >

Best small hotel on Kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 10:38 AM
looking

I will be spending two nights on Kauai and am looking for a small luxury hotel (or possibly condo complex). Immediate (swimming) beach access is not a must, but views are. I have found Gloria's Spouting Hole B&B but would love some other options --it's a very special (romantic) occasion so I want something that fits the bill. North Shore would be great (for the views) but the hotel itself is key. If anyone has been to Casa Que Canta in Mexico, that's the kind of small luxury hotel I mean.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Beavis

Heh heh heh.
She said "spouting hole"! Heh heh heh. It's spouting horn, isn't it?

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 11:03 AM
looking

Whoops -- I guess Spouting "hole" might sound a little TOO intimate.

Sorry Gloria. Spouting HORN.

I'd still like some advice!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Looking

I think Kal, Sarah and Suzie are regular Kauai posters -- maybe they can help.

Are you out there?

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 04:09 PM
topper

topping

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Sarah

I don't know how helpful I can be because I keep going back to same areas. Perhaps and island hopper will know more about B&B's and small hotels.

I have stayed at the Hanalei Bay Resort not small or luxury but it has some merit for location and views. Not sure I would suggest for 2 nights. I have visited Princeville many times but have not stayed. Just love the views there and it feels smaller than Hanalei Bay Resort.

Depends on time of the year for the North Shore in my opinion I would stay only in summer to mid September. I think Glorias has won awards but I have not stayed or even seen.

Another place that seems to get attention although it is not luxury either is Hanalei Colony Resort in Haena. You are directly on beach but a non-swimming beach. You are a short short drive (if not walking) from Tunnels, Kekee which again in my opinion are the best beaches on the North Shore certainly the most picturesque. Writing you this puts me there in my mind.

Pua Poa on the North Shore seems to have wonderful views also. Just remember any locations outside of Princeville Sheraton up on Princeville estates requires steep trecks down to beaches. …just something to consider, if you like to pop on and off the beach as I do before breakfast or at dusk. You still have great sunsets from top just no beach strolling without a walk down first. If you do select a condo complex type option, think about parking lots, how close they are to rooms, curtains. If you are on a beach how close to public parking, public access paths to beach are important to consider for late night noise (some instances) and early morning light in your sleep chamber J. I also like to see how homey managers have made a rental. Some properties are stocked with the bear minimum of furniture and amenities. And you really don’t need that much but it feels cold to me. Remember you don’t have to settle on a condo complex there are stand alone homes through out the island that rent as condos. Napali North Shore Rentals has a fair bit. Normally you would rent for a week but I think they are slow this year with less planes coming in. It is worth a try to inquire about 2 night stays.

Look in the back of the book Ultimate Guide to Kauai, very comprehensive list from small to large property managers. South Shore for two nights I would go to Hyatt or Marriott but I have not stayed south of Kapaa and am usually up in Hanalei (puff the magic dragon country). Good luck, remember to ask about public camping in Anini or Haena if you select a house there. Not sure what public camping is on the south shore but I would want to know if I was a getting beach front rental.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Renee

Hanalei Clony is a great resort - especialy for price and seclusion - but is not fancy, in fact it is a bit shabby and definately not on a swimming beach. It is more a condo complex without many of amenities. I loved it with a group of friends on a budget but would not consider it for a romantic getaway on the order of what I have heard about Casa Que Canta.

Sorry no suggestions. I look forward to other replies.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 05:07 AM
lindafromNJ

Have stayed at Glorias B & B twice and just love it. The ocean comes up to your room. Breakfasts are great. It is a wonderful choice.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Suzie

Stayed just up from Gloria's in a small but wonderful condo complex. Whalers Cove. The condo was very nice with a huge lanai with access from the living room and the master bedroom. We requested building 1 level 2 which gave us a direct view of the ocean, sunset, etc. It was right in front of us. Pool and spa area are very nice. Pool does not have a rim so it looks like it's part of the patio and it's right next to the ocean so it's like the best of both worlds. No swimmable beach right there but stairs down to the water that is good for snorkeling. We wanted private and romantic because it was our 20th. We visited the Hyatt and had dinner at Tidepools but we would never trade our lovely condo for a room there despite the wonderful surroundings. The staff at Whalers was very helpful too. We booked through Suite Paradise for a better rate.
Hope you find something you'll like!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 07:38 AM
JP

I stayed at the Princeville for my honeymoon. No other hotel has quite compared. It was perfect in every respect.