Best Seafood in Portsmouth, NH

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Headed to the northeast in a couple weeks. Need good seafood recommendations (preferably lobster!!) for Portsmouth, NH, our first night's stop. Thanks.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 07:05 AM

Just over the bridge from Portsmouth, into Kittery Point, is Chauncy Creek lobster pound--but I think they close after Columbus Day weekend. We had the best clam chowder ever at a place in Portsmouth called The Metro. Portsmouth has many very good restaurants: 45 Degrees North, Pesce Blue are two...
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 09:00 AM

Try Newick's on Dover Point just up the Spaulding Tpk from the Portsmouth Traffic Circle(NH State Liquor Store)You can eat in with water view or take out and picnic at the waters edge at a nearby park .
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 02:32 PM

Jumpin' Jay's fish cafe is excellent, not sure about their lobster offerings though. Chauncey Creek in Kittery is a good recommendation too, delicious lobster and steamers, BYOB.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 03:44 AM

You can view Chauncy Creek on their website www.chauncycreek.com which says they are open Tues thru Sunday until Columbus Day (close at 7pm). If the weather is bad or cold, I wouldn't choose it. Newicks would be a better choice as long as you want a great selection of seafood and don't mind paper plates. The restaurant on Dover Pt is on the water. Although we haven't been to Jumpin Jays, it's widely recommended and would be more upscale. It's in downtown Portsmouth. Newicks is sort of a local institution started by a lobstering family. Portions are very ample. The drive there from Portsmouth traffic circle/I95 will take you over Great Bay. There's also a waterfront park where you might want to stretch your legs. The drive to Chauncy Creek is nice. It's on Kittery Point, far removed from the outlet mall congestion.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 04:59 AM

If Portsmouth is the day you arrive, and you want something right downtown easy to find, authentic, fresh seafood, I'd suggest the Ferry Landing. Small coastal joint right on the water, rather "in the rough," but with service and real utensils. They have a "clambake" option on the menu that includes chowder, steamers, lobster. Enjoy your trip!

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 04:17 PM

Watch out for Chauncy Creek. We twice drove up there from Boston (and called first to check hours etc.) only to find out that they had large parties and the restaurant was only open to a limited menu (for example once, all fried food was OFF the menu, only for the large wedding party - not us regular folk) What's the point if you can't have a side of fried clams or onion rings. Call ahead and ASK! or you'll be disapointed, too!
Another good bet is further up the coast in Freeport - Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster. On the dock right on the harbor next to where the ferry used to go out. Great views, and I've never been disapointed with the views (or told I couldn't have the fried clams)