Best Route NY to ME

Jul 17th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Best Route NY to ME

I'm heading to Arcadia in a couple of weeks and I'm not too sure of the best route to get there. I'll be starting out in Western NY (Rochester). Most at the sites I've looked at (Expedia etc.) have me going through Canada, which I'd really like to avoid.
Jul 17th, 2003, 07:51 AM

Take 84East through CT to 90East to 290E to 495N to 95N. Follow 95 to Portland. After that I believe you follow RT1 but you should verify this.

Also you may want to take 95N to 91N to 84E etc.
Jul 17th, 2003, 07:52 AM

Sorry - need to clarify the second part - that 95N in the Southern Ct area.
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:20 AM

Whoa! From Rochester, you do not have to go as far south as Route 84 in Connecticut! That's not the way to go!
Take the NY Thruway (Route 90) to Albany, continue on the Massachusetts Turnpike (also Route 90) to the end and pick up Route 95 to Maine.
I'm not sure if this is the best route (I don't have a good map of Northern New England), but it definitely is an improvement over what's been previously suggested!
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:25 AM

OH MY GOODNESS - So sorry for the mistake. I thought I had read that Jibboo was coming from Westchester NY. Time to get new glasses!!!!!!!
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:56 AM

Combine bennie and Howard's suggestions:
I90 (NY Thruway/Mass Pike). Exit off pike on 290 N (thru Worcester) to 495N to 95N (This cuts out a triangle heading towards Boston). I 95 to Rt 1 as bennie suggests.
One other tip, get the EZPass/Fast Pass transponder and save yourself lots of toll time. (Maine, however, is not on the electronic system yet).
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:05 AM

Good suggestion about picking up 290N to 495, John!
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Bennie- funny you mention Westchester, That's where I'm originally from!!!
Jul 17th, 2003, 10:37 AM

I knew I was picking up that vibe from somewhere. ; )
Jul 17th, 2003, 11:23 AM

OK, to complete the geographic circle, I currently live in Westchester!
Jul 18th, 2003, 03:57 AM

If you want a pretty drive, after hitting Albany head to Bennington VT. Take Rt 9 over to Keene. (After you cross the metal bridge over the river on the Vt/NH line and go up the steep hill, the gas station at the left has decent restroom and snack food.) It will be mountainous and not fast going. Continue on Rt 9 heading to Concord NH. There's a new bypass for Rt 202 thru Hillsboro. Connect with Rt 89, then Rt 93 North. In Concord you will take Rt 393 which bypasses Concord's commercial strip. Then Rt 4 to Portsmouth. Then connect with Rt 95N until you decide where to pick up Rt 1. Fastest would be to go Rt 95 as far as Bangor. If you are traveling during peak hours such as Fri late afternoon and most of Saturday you will hit a little congestion in Concord. Rt 4 shouldn't be too bad and you will avoid the toll booth backup on Rt 95 in the Hampton/Seabrook area. You will find decent places to eat instead of the fast food places at the highway rest areas. It's up to you whether you are tempted to stop at places like Hemmings Motor News (VT) or a Rt 4 antique shop in Northwood (NH). If you stop for ice cream at Johnson's dairy bar in Northwood, get a SMALL. If you want some pre-Maine visit-seafood, the High Tide in Hillsboro is good (you'll have to go thru downtown Hillsboro) and my husband said the lobster rolls and onion nuggets are very good at Johnson's Dairy Bar... or you could stop at famous Newicks on Dover Pt Rd before you get to Portsmouth.
I hate the Mass Turnpike.

Search this Thread