Best Rain Apparel and Layering Apparel?

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Best Rain Apparel and Layering Apparel?

We'll be in Glacier NP June 10th-17th. I know I should bring layering apparel. How heavy should I go? Should I bring a rain jacket that can accommodate a fleece jacket underneath? Should I just stick with something lightweight and layer underneath? I have good hiking boots but other than that, I could use suggestions about apparel. Do I need gloves? I rarely see snow in the south.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Layering is best. A Gore-tex or other waterproof, breatheable jacket with a hood, plus a mid-weight fleece (pullover or zip-up) and a longsleeve shirt of polypro or capilene should keep you warm down to 30 degrees or so. If it's warmer, you can adjust by removing one of the layers. Lightweight gloves are important, too.

You can find lots of choices at www.rei.com or www.reioutlet.com if you feel like shopping.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 11:46 AM

What are you planning while in Glacier? Day hikes...backpacking...camping? I did a 50 mile backpacking trip through Glacier in August...we had fleece pants and tops for night (and yes...we did need and use it)...so I'll assume in June there is no question you need warm layers. Rain gear is a must. I have Marmot PreCip which is waterproof, breathable and light....Glacier in my opinion, is the most beautiful of all NPs...so prepare for everything so you are comfortable and can enjoy it.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Not to beat a dead horse but yes-a parka (I too have a Marmot precip-it's a great, relatively inexpensive jacket) and a fleece underneath, with synthetic long underwear/shirts for hiking, too. I'd bring gloves-my hands get cold easily, and I know I'd need them in Glacier in June. Don't forget a warm hat!
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 12:22 PM

All good advice! You'll need the fleece and a gore-tex shell in June. You'll need a hat, too. And you'll also need sunscreen. The weather is pretty variable and it really cools off at night.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

If I buy the Marmot PreCip and plan to wear layers, should I buy the jacket a size up? I have a north face windwall 2, but I think that it's too bulky.

I'm thinking the Marmot wiith long underwear and other not too bulky layers. I have Polartec pants. Should I get rain pants?
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 07:08 PM

I think if you put your Marmot rain jacket over the NOrth Face fleece you will feel like the Michelin man! I'd go with the long underwear and something less bulky (a microfleece top?). If you are going to be out for hours, you could carry the North Face jacket along in a day pack in case it gets extra cold. As for rain pants---that depends. Are you going to be doing long hikes where you are committed to a distance regardless of weather? Or could you turn back if the weather gets bad? I always carry rain pants when hiking, but I live in the northwest and like to stick with my hike no matter what the weather. YOu r Polartec pants will not shed water, but in a light rain they would keep youwarm even if they get damp. I guess it depends on whether you would have any other use for them. If you wear a small size, you could consider the Marmot PreClip pants in the children's size---we just bought some for our teenager, who wears a women's small. The kid's extra large was the same size and half the price (at REI).
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Very helpful. One more question - Should I buy the rain jacket (Marmot PreCip) in my size (small) or one size up (medium) to accommodate all the layering?
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 07:53 AM

Just my humble opinion...I was there (as you will be) for a brief time and I did not feel like investing in expensive gear that I would probably never use again...or would use sparingly afterward. I packed my winter jacket (a parka style) with a zip out lining and hood and my gloves. I used them all, was glad I had them.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

It's true that I buy apparel that I wouldn't normally think to buy living in the south, but so far it's worked out well for me. For example, I take my daughter and dog to the park a lot and although it doesn't get real cold here, those trips have become more pleasant dressed properly and hence more frequent. I think that if you are used to a warmer climate, the cold can be a shock to your system. When I go north to visit friends, they laugh at me in my heavy coat and scarf as they are wearing light jackets. It's true that I rarely use a few of the items I've bought for trips, but it's actually more rare for me not to use what I've bought.

Now I'm thinking that I won't mind going out in rainy cold (cold being relative) weather if I get the proper apparel.

Still, thanks for your opinion.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 12:46 PM

I don't like bulky layers...so when I bought my Marmot...I bought it in the size that I normally wear. There is great stuff out there now that is lightweight but still warm. The best thing to do is go to a place like REI and try it on, see how it feels, and ask advice of someone who works there...they are very knowledgable.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

I researched and shopped and ended up with the Arc'Teryx Theta SL jacket. I got something nice that I could use year round. The layering is a really good idea. I'll be buying a mid-weight fleece jacket. Since the jacket is gore-tex, I'm thinking I can get a basic fleece jacket from LL Bean. Any more advice? Any suggestions?