Search

Best places to live in Florida

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best places to live in Florida

Hello everyone,

I'm a 25 yr old nurse from NYC looking to relocate to Florida. I would love to live in a nice community near good schools nice homes preferably near a beach and maybe a town with some sort of entertainment. I know it may sound naive but I hate the harsh winters up here the dirty sidewalks, expensive homes in very poor neighborhoods any advice on towns/cities to zero in would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 08:33 AM
cd

St Pete Beach area with Tampa nearby.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 09:11 AM

This is really not the best places for this advice. There are web sites specifically about relocation that can provide a lot more details.

A couple of things to look at carefully:

Schools - in FL are VERY mixed and you need to search carefully for true quality

Property taxes - can be muchhigher than they appear due to a system that varies by time of purchase

Hurricanes - you do need to consider this

Heat - my anuts/uncles that retied to FL came back north from June through Sept since the heat was so awful (and expensive to keep houses cool)

Every place has benefits and detriments - be sure you look into all of this carefully - as well as job opportunities and salaries. And definitely rent for some time - including at least one full summer - before making a purchase/long-term decision.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 12:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you can get a job at Holmes Medical Center, Melbourne and the Space Coast is a pretty good place to live. My dad had his quad bypass at Holmes over 15 years ago and is doing well at 92.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 04:42 PM

I'm an RN, too. What about doing a travel nursing job first?? That way you can check out the area hospital and different communities. They pay for the housing which is a definite bonus.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 04:28 AM

I second tomfuller. If you visit Melbourne, check out the residential areas in Indialantic and north to Indian Harbour and Satellite Beach. Very affordable housing near the beach. I can't speak to quality of the schools. From this area you would have a 10 minute drive to Holmes Medical Center.