Best Place to Stay on Florida West Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. We live on the east coast of South Florida and would like to spend a few days on the west coast around Christmas so we want to book now. We are thinking Sanibel/Captiva but the reviews of some of the places (South Seas, 'Tween Waters, Seaside Inn) are very mixed. We want something on the beach with great shelling for the kids in a nice, updated, clean and casual hotel. Last time we went to Sanibel (2 years ago) we stayed at the Sundial. It wasn't a great experience and the island was still pretty beat up from the hurricane. But I have heard things have gotten better and you just can't beat those beaches! We have been to Marco Island and we are going to the Ritz in Naples in a few weeks so we are looking for something different for December. Any ideas????

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 02:07 PM

We love Pointe Santo de Sanibel.It's website is www.premierproperties.com They have condos for rent, Some are beachfront;others are beachview. They have a nice pool. We keep returning every year.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 03:26 PM

I personally loved Panama Beach area. Panama Beach was fantastic and you can take short drives and go thru many different areas. ( we explored mainly North areas from Panama and would go back there again at Anytime! The sand on the Beaches were spectacular, white and soft. We also rented jet skis and went looking for dolphin and to some small . Lots for people of all ages. We stayed in the Northern section of Panama City but went to all areas of the town and used the large park and recreation center in the Northern part of PC. Sunsets are spectacular
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 06:35 PM

My favorite area is Longboat Key. We have had several great rentals off vrbo.com
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Try the Hilton Longboat Key. It's right on the Beach and it has a great restaurant for breakfast and lunch. For Dinner head down to St Armands Circle where there's a myriad of restaurants.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 08:34 AM

Absolutely Sanibel. We stayed once at Sanibel Inn. The rooms in the bldgs. closest to the Gulf had nice views and privacy, with covered screened porches. We though it more "connected" to the ocean than Sundial and just prettier.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 05:15 PM

I love 'Tween Waters Inn on Captiva. I live in Florida, and it is my favorite weekend getaway. It is beachy/casual, yet comfortable and nice with lots of amenities and a gorgeous low-traffic beach. The rooms were getting a little worn around the edges, but I hear that most have been recently refurbished. I always find it to be incredibly tranquil, as it is somewhat removed from the rest of the San/Cap tourist hotel throng.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 05:48 AM

Hi ILuvLexie,

How was your stay at the Ritz Naples? I'd love to hear some recent feedback as I'm headed down there this weekend!

Thanks,

Ronna
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 08:26 AM

What about Anna Maria Island? It is more low key and has a family friendly feel. I also love Longboat Key - more expensive and upscale than Anna Maria Island. Personally, I love Sanibel, but if you want to try something different, I think either Anna Maria Island or Longboat Key would be nice.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 08:24 AM

WE stay at the Tween Waters Inn very often. It is relaxed and casual and just wonderful. However, I have read some bad reviews too and I think this is from people who stay in the rooms that have not yet been renovated. We always stay in the Sea Grape building, which has a brand new renovation and the rooms are big and beautiful. We were in that building before the renovation and they were "worn" but very clean, so I can understand why some people are disappointed. I would highly recommend the Tween, but ask to stay in the newer rooms....thye are wonderful.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 11:19 AM

You might want to check out Casa Ybel on Sanibel. It is a time share resort that also rents the units. We went there many times when our kids were young - great location, just steps to a beach with lots of shells and a nice pool area. I would think the units are in good shape as they were redone recently after a hurricane.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 11:38 AM

www.siestakeychamber.com
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 12:24 PM

The West Wind Inn has wonderful shelling, better even than Bowman's when we were just there. Wonderful classic old Florida resort, immaculate (you can ask for one of the newly renovated rooms, but we had an older one that was absolutely fine, in the Driftwood building.) We loved everything about this place, and it is rated sky-high on tripadvisor.com.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 12:25 PM

Sorry ... of course, I am talking about West Wind Inn on Sanibel.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 12:32 PM
JJ5

I like being right on Lido Key by St. Amand's Circle in Sarasota a ton better than Sanibel/Captiva.

And from the beach you can walk everywhere- with lots of dining and entertainment choices. Shelling isn't as good, but everything else is better. Kids are fine and were everywhere.