Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best place to stay in San Antonio (labor day)?

Mar 4th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Hello all! Thinking about visiting San Antonio for the 1st time this Labor Day for a girls getaway (35-50ish).
Will it still be miserably hot then?
I've heard to stay along the riverwalk, but then some others say it's too pricy when you can just come in for the night/day. What's the deal on where to stay for a full "San Antonio experience"?
Mar 4th, 2009, 07:37 PM

Personally, I wouldn't stay anywhere in San Antonio BUT the Riverwalk. I like having it right outside my door (and a view would be good, too)
Mar 4th, 2009, 08:51 PM

Yes, it will in all likelihood still be miserably hot then - and humid, too. So be sure wherever you stay has a pool!
For a first time visit the Riverwalk is the way to go. Shop around some of the discount sites, you may be able to pick up a decent rate - there are a range of differently priced hotels in the downtown area. If you want something other than the historic city center, consider one of the resorts on the edge of town - Hyatt Hill Country is excellent, but it is way out from downtown, more of a self contained resort. You could rent a car and drive into town (taxi would cost an arm and a leg.)
Mar 5th, 2009, 03:56 AM

I would definitely stay on the River Walk. We like the Marriott Rivercenter. It will most likely be very hot. We went to SA a couple of years ago at the end of September, and it was still in the 90s. We love it there though. Take one of the boat tours on the River Walk and go to Boudro's for tableside guacamole and prickly pear margaritas - that will cool you down!
Mar 14th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks bunches! I'll check into Riverwalk hotels with a pool Volcanogirl, how did you know I love margaritas?!? LOL Sounds great! I'm really looking forward to it.