Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best over-all inexpensive Waikiki hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Craig

We are looking for the best inexpensive (notice I didn't say cheap) hotel over-all, on or very near Waikiki beach. I don't want a "Motel 6" and I don't need a "Ritz". Just looking for what anyone thinks is the best bang for the buck! Location is somewhat a priority. There has to be a hotel out there that really is a great price for the overall items they offer.

Thanks for all the input in advance!
Craig

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 12:01 PM
surferjoe

I would say the Hilton Hawaiian Village. It is probably the only complete "resort" in Waikiki. Beach, huge pool, several dining options, shopping, penguins, but no Don Ho any longer.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 12:12 PM
x

Not sure what inexpensive is to you. The former Hawaiian Regent, Now a Marriott is in a great location along the beach and also the Pacific Beach Hotel.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Lisa

I just booked us in the Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel....
Frommers rates it very high.... check it out on the internet.
Also, I got a special internet rate for their VIP oceanfront suite for 160.00 a night.
The location is great... no pool, but beachfront!

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Nova

Craig, I think you should define "inexpensive". I am guessing that you probably meant in the area of $100 per night, and I don't think any of those mentioned are in that range.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 04:10 PM
SG

One of the Outriggers that is right on the beach.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Nova

There is no way that the Outriggers on the beach would be considered "inexpensive".

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 06:09 PM
a

Let's define 'Bargain' as less than $75 per night and 'Inexpensive' as being between $ 75 and $ 150 per night. How then do you rate places.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 09:44 PM
joesorce

Check the reviews and recommendations on the Fodor's "hotel" section, just click on Honolulu. The Breakers and the Coconut Plaza sound pretty good.

Aston and Outrigger hotels offer discounts for AAA or Entertainment Card members. Inquire about the rate that you can get with these memberships, if you save $20 per night or so, it will be well-worth becoming a member. The www.entertainment.com website even tells you the hotels that discount, so you can check the rates at the hotels even before deciding if membership is a good idea.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 11:45 PM
SG

Oh, I forget we have a discount.

Howabout the Pacific Beach Hotel. Or the Queen Kapiolani has a great location near the zoo and beach, but the rooms are ugly. If you call them directly sometimes you can get $300 for 5 days.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 05:49 AM
yvonne

My husband & I stayed at the Prince Kuhio. It is about 2 blocks from the beach. We stayed on the 36 floor which had an awesome view. It was a wonderful hotel. We paid $75 per night in October of 98.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 06:04 AM
jette

We stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beach Feb 2002. Paid $99/night for beach front included a very nice lanai overlooking the beach. Perfect for sunsets and a walk across the street to the beach. Rooms are a little small but perfectly adequate and very clean. I would stay there again.
A word of caution, there are many hotels with very similar names. For example, the Waikiki beach hotel is not the same as the Waikiki beachSIDE hotel.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 07:09 PM
NITA

Bid $50 for a 3 star hotel in Waikiki West on Priceline and you will most likely get the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani which is well located across the street from the beach.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 06:52 AM
jt

Waikiki circle, I think under Aston. Cute little cylinder overlooking most interesting part of beach. Few amenities, would never be built today due to being uneconomic, was built by a chinese women owner in the old days.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:01 AM
Sarah

Ilikai main building when they are having a discount at $95 a night. You really don't want to go to an establishment much cheaper than that in Waikiki as for some bizarre reason other city low life i.e. hookers and other seedy types will flock there.

I have stayed in D.C at the sheraton 4 points for $60 a night not sure why their rates would not bring in a procession of hookers the way Waikiki hotels can.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 02:41 PM
Ken

My wife and I stayed at the Aston Waikiki Sunset from October 1 thru October 6. It is a condo format with a kitchen, living area and one or two bedrooms (we had a one bedroom). It was very clean, about 3 blocks from the beach, had a small outdoor pool and tennis courts. It is a highrise building approximately 30 floors. We were on the 12th floor and had a partial view of Diamond Head and a very small view of the ocean. We were very satisfied as we do not spend a lot of time in the room. The price was in the $100 per night range.

We rented a car for the entire stay but if I was to do it again I would only rent a car for a couple days to drive around the island. Parking is $7 per day and public transportation is fine and you are within walking distance of many attractions.