Best Northwestern (CA and OR) Coastal Cities

Old Mar 27th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Northwestern (CA and OR) Coastal Cities

BF and I will be driving up the coast from San Francisco to Portland the first week of May. I'm trying to find a good place to stop for the night between SF and Portland. I was thining Eureka, but I'm not sure. The only stop we have carved in stone is Redwood National Park for hiking. Any interesting coastal towns/dining/etc. along the way would be helpful as well.

This trip is all about exploration, shopping, good eats (we're vegetarians), and relaxation. Also, suggestions/ideas related to SF and Portland are more than welcome. So far, aside from the Golden Gate and the Portland Japanese Garden, only Amoeba Records (in SF) and VooDoo Doughnut (Portland) are a sure thing.

Thanks,
CD
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 12:41 PM

I would personally opt for Trinidad over Eureka--I've stayed in both and preferred the tiny village of Trinidad (I stayed at the Lost Whale Inn). However I can't comment on vegetarian dining options there.

Any chance you could spend more than 1 night on the way? That's going to really cut down on the amount of time you are able to spend exploring and hiking as you'll just be driving for most of the day each day if you only take one night between the two...

If you can add an extra night, I'd suggest Yachats as the stopping place for the 2nd night. The Overleaf Lodge there is a standout.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 03:44 PM

A lunch stop in the coastal town of Mendocino would be very nice, and near Fort Bragg is a fine large garden that goes from the road back to the cliffs above the ocean.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 04:53 PM

If you are doing this drive in two days, you will want to stick to Hwy 101. Taking Route 1 through Mendocino will add many hours to your trip.

Also, this is a very long trip for a two day drive. You won't have much time to hike or explore. It would be better to add a day or, better yet, two days. If you are in a hurry, I-5 is much faster.

I concur that Trinidad is a better option than Eureka which is mostly standard motels that line Hwy 101. The few exceptions are pretty expensive. But, you might like Arcata. Arcata is a University town. It's governed by members of the Peace and Freedom Party and it has several vegetarian restaurants.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Kal

tick tick tick
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 05:32 PM

Ferndale might be an interesting stop - strolling, eating, shopping.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

We've decided to stop in Eureka after all to try a night at The Carter House Inns. Still need lodging suggestions for that second night (yep we added another one) along the Portland coast. Ideally, nothing north of Coos Bay.

Also, couldn't be happier with the vegetarian options in the Eurkea, Arcata, Trinidad area. We're looking forward to more than a few.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 06:30 AM

The Carter House is nice--I stayed there on my trip back up the coast.

It's not that much further from Coos Bay to Yachats--I'd still suggest the Overleaf. Otherwise, the town of Bandon might be a good place to stop although I don't have any specific lodgings to recommend there.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 07:21 AM

In SF, consider Greens and Millenium; the former is vegetarian, the latter is vegan.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Bandon is small, charming, has great walkable beach, interesting rock formations so we plan an overnight stop in the Face Rock area on our coastal trips. We stayed at the older Sunset Motel last March in their true oceanfront section, room OK, view spectacular. Dined at Lord Bennett's across street, view table, good food, attentive 'old fashioned' service but don't know vegetarian options. Shop at market in town, picnic on your deck?