Reload this Page >

Best Midtown NYC Diners

Search

Best Midtown NYC Diners

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Jackie

Best Midtown NYC Diners

Went to NYC for the first time in May and fell in love with this wonderful city.

Planning to take my kids this time over Christmas Holiday. I think diners would be my best bet with kids for breakfast & lunch. I will be staying at the Manhatten Sheraton. Can anyone please recommend really good diners in that area? PS, I got all my dining recommendations here for my previous trip and had exceptional meals, Thanks!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Ted

In general you can't go wrong with any midtown Manhattan diner. Location and convenience should be paramount in your case -- just walk out of your hotel and look around. Or ask your hotel's doorman -- he certainly knows the best places to eat nearby.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Ellen

Not sure where the Sheraton is located (east or west) but there is a really cool place called The Comfort Diner on E. 45th between 2nd & 3rd. Also, in Tribeca (I assume you will be leaving midtown for lunch) is Bubby's on Hudson & North Moore.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:11 AM
patty

Ellen's Stardust Diner is in midtown - entertaining but not the best food. Brooklyn Diner is on 57th Street - very tasty food but also very expensive, and huge portions which doesn't fit my small-eating family.

I love the others' suggestions - Comfort Diner (I go to the one on E. 86th Street), Bubby's and let me add one of my faves EJ's Luncheonette (upper west side, east side and downtown).

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Postal

My teenagers really enjoyed the waffles with strawberries at Ellen's Stardust Diner and the prices were much better than I expected (Brooklyn Diner prices were higher).

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Diner near Carnagie Hall

I went to NYC for 1st time in Feb. Found a great diner, but can't think of the name. It's located on the same street as the Carnagie Hall, except to the west of it. They have this great Spicy Shrimp Pasta. The best!!! Packed both times I went there. i'll be visiting NYC again in October and I can't wait to go back. Price is modest for NYC.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 03:12 PM
suzanne

Just to let you know, most of the places mentioned have "diner" in their names, they are as expensive as (for lack of a better term) "regular' restaurants. You won't find $4 burgers here! Maybe $10, but definitely not $4.

Personally, I really like the food at Comfort Diner and EJ's though they are both notoriously crowded. Ellen's, from my experience, has some of the worst food I've ever had in NY. But my 2x times there (yes I actually went BACK) may not have been enough to base my opinion on, as I've met other people who like it.

If you want REAL diners, the quick, cheap, run-by-a-Greek-family kind, well heck, there's a ton 'o them in NYC. Unfortunately I don't know the names of most of the ones I frequent, they're just "the Diner" to me. But I do remember a few in that west Midtown area...Moonrock, on the north side of West 57th Street (has a moon theme and good fries) and this other Greek diner on Broadway that has the most incredible homemade lemonade...just a sec, let me look it up...

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 03:36 PM
suzanne

Ahhh, I give up...I can't find the name of this diner with the great lemonade, but it's on 8th ave or Broadway in the mid-50's.

In my searches, I noticed most diners have "star", "moon", "cosmos", "galaxy" or some other celestial reference in their names...how funny, I never noticed this before.

Hope you have a good trip...WOW it's not for 6 months? You sure do plan ahead!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:36 PM
patty

Ah, real diners. You know, I'm so used to going to the upscale ones these days. But 20 years ago I worked on 48th & Eighth and we always ordered our egg/cheese/bacon sandwiches from Olympic Restaurant on Eighth Avenue and 49th Street. Rumor had it back then that they were the inspiration for the Saturday Night Live Greek diner sketch (cheeseburger, cheeseburger...) Olympic is much spiffier and cleaner now, as is the whole area. My co-worker preferred ordering lunch from the Edison - now the Cafe Edison, part of the Edison Hotel on 47th Street, off Broadway.

Going back to upscale places - I forgot about Route 66 on Ninth Ave & 55th St. A cheaper, more old-style diner on Ninth Ave is the Westway Diner around 43rd or 44th Street.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Jackie

Suzanne, Yes, I have to admit I am a meticulous planner! I actually have three trips planned this year and I keep a seperate file on all of them, including hotel, rental car reservations
etc. Included in those folders is all the great advice I get from this site!

Vacations with family is one of the best things in life,so whenever we take a trip I try very hard to make things go well.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Ellen

I 2nd the EJ's recommendation. Good comfort food. Another tip. Yes, the burgers are not $4, more like $10. But, take a look at the portions as they bring them out to the other tables before you order. Like everything else American, they are usually supersized huge. Since you are not home and will most likely not take doggie bags with you, encourage the kids to share. If they are hungry later you can pick up a snack at any deli. Maybe get them each an appetizer and share the entrees, or get an appetizer for the table and then share. Really, the portions are huge. And, I forgot another great diner called Googie's on 2nd Ave and 78th St. A little out of your way, but in a nice area on the Upper East Side. You might also try America on E. 18th between Broadway & 5th (Union Square Area & a short walk to see the Flat Iron Building) Huge, shareable portions as well, but a relaxed family atmosphere. Not a diner, but great for a weekend brunch or dinner.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Usagain

Well, you may not have read our previous posts about this subject but you really can't beat Burger Heaven - they have lots of outlets around NYC and their burgers, breakfasts MILK SHAKES and chicken noodle soup were great. Our thirteen year old loved them so much we have to stop her hopping on a plane and going back every time she wants to snack!!