Reload this Page >

Best Mansions to tour

Search

Best Mansions to tour

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 09:05 AM
LordBalfor

Best Mansions to tour

Anyone have any recommendations of the best mansions to tour in Newport.

I'm guessing "the Breakers" and "Marble House".

Also, how long are the tours - possible to do 2 in a day, or 3?

Ken

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Sue

Hard to say which is the "best" as they are all amazing in a unique way. The best thing to do is to purchase a "pass" that allows you to visit 5 or so mansions at a reduced price (there are different packages to choose from). The tours are all guided, either by docent or audio. We were only there for 2 full days, and we saw 3 mansions on the first day and 2 on the second - we were not rushed. You don't say when you are going, but if you are flexible try to go before the "season" officially begins to get very reasonable rates on accommodations and to avoid the crowds. We went at the end of April and had decent weather, and no waiting in restaurants or for the tours. Check out this website for ticketing information: http://www.newportmansions.org/schedule.html

Also, if you like Italian food, try Puerini's at 24 Memorial Blvd. West (401) 847-5506.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Michelle

While in Newport, you must have dinner at Bouchard. What a great experience and terrific food!!! I highly rec. it.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Jen

Depends when you're going. Many are closed for the winter, or open only a couple of days each week. Yes, there's anough time to do 2 or 3 in one day, but the question is how much you can absorb without going into decadent-Victorians overload!

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 01:55 PM
LordBalfor

Sue - The pass is a good idea. We'll look into that option.

Jen - The absorbtion issue is one of my concerns too. My wife wants to see 3 places, I'm thinking about 2. We're going in mid-June and will be there for only the first part of the day. We're heading out from near Norwich, Conn in the morning and are spending the night in Chatham (at the Chatham Bars Inn) - so it's a "passing through" kind of thing (but the main thing we hope to see for the day). Not sure how long the drive from Newport to Chatham really takes, but Mapquest says it's about 2 hours or so (it will be on a Monday). I imagine we'll spend about 6 hours in Newport. Tours seem to start about 10 am. Plan to be there before then, and leave around 4 pm or so. That gets us to the inn at a decent hour.

Ken

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 01:57 PM
LordBalfor

Michelle - What's Bouchard like (type of food/ambience etc)? Maybe we'll try and catch an early dinner before heading out.

Ken

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Sue

Ken, I was worried about the "overload" thing too, and I had visions of people running from one mansion to the next just to make sure they used that pass! It wasn't like that at all, you could see 3 in a day and not be glazed over. I think the fact that the tours are guided help keep you focused. Or you could do 1 tour, have a nice lunch, see another, walk the part of the Cliff Walk and then head to dinner. You'll love Newport!

Michelle, would you please comment more on Bouchard? I'm always collecting information for "next time."