Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Highgate Cemetery - best day for western cemetery tour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in London mid-October. Can't go to the cemetery on a Saturday. The Highgate society website says Sunday is the busiest day and sometimes everyone can't be accomodated, even though they have hourly tours from 11am to 3pm. Has anyone actually been turned away on a Sunday?

Weekdays they have one tour at 2pm, guaranteed for approx. 8-12 people, must book ahead. Does this mean they won't do the tour if there arenn't enough people?

I'm like to play it by ear and go on a day the weather is nice (knock on wood), but I wonder about the chances of getting turned away either due to too many or too few people...also, anyone have any advice on the best time of day for the light, for photographs? This will be in the 2nd week of October.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

I should clarify that *I* won't be able to make it to the cemetery on a Saturday. It is open on Saturdays.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 10:02 PM

Well you can't book for the Sunday tours so as long as you get there early enough you'll get a place, even if you have to wait for the next one or two (if you see what I mean). Turn up mid-afternoon and you might be unlucky.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks nona1, that makes sense.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 02:55 AM

Another alternative (and every bit as good IMHO) is Kensall Green Cemetary. Same era as Highgate. Lots of famous people (Brunell Thackery etc) and some Royals.

It also has the catacombs which are seriously spooky. It also has the advantage of being much less known so uncrowded:

http://www.kensalgreen.co.uk/
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 03:21 AM

Hi Apres - please post detailed info on the Highgate tour when you return. It's on my list of things to do next time in London. Thanks!!
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

I've added Kensall Green to my list.

Information gleaned from the website:

...tours of the cemetery end with tea and biscuits at the Dissenters’ Chapel.

...the Annual Open Day in July showcases tours of the cemetery, Black Sabbath tribute bands and a stalls selling honey and jam.

...Freddie Mercury was cremated at Kensall Green.

...Augusta Leigh (who had an affair with her brother Lord Byron) is buried there.

There are also pictures on the website of ponies, an old guy who looks like Jack the Ripper, and something called a charity organ.

I think I'm going to try and do both- and I'll be sure to report back, adrienne
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 03:03 AM

If you are there when the catacomb tour is on (1st sunday in the month) make sure you do it.

It's the creepiest place imaginable. Lord Aberdeen's tomb (ex PM) looks like the set for a Hammer horror fillum.

Also when I went there I was looking at this ridiculously over the top tomb of a circus owner whilst sat on a cube of granite (me not him). When I got up I realised I'd been sitting on Brunel's grave!
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 10:16 AM

Most of London's Magnificent Seven historic garden cemeteries also have annual Open Days. Brompton Cemetery's is usually the first Sunday in July, and Kensal Green's is usually the first Saturday in July; both start at 11:00 and run until about 16:30. For 2012, this means Brompton on Sunday, July 1 (entrances on Brompton Road and Fulham Road), and Kensal Green on Sunday, July 7 (two entrances on Harrow Road, one to the west of Kensal Green station, the other just off the corner of Ladbroke Grove).
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 01:05 PM

I went on a Sunday in early winter and we were able to get on the first tour. I guess we got there about 1/2 hour prior to the start time. Very interesting .
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 01:06 PM

Oops sorry just realised poster before me topped a very old thread.