Search

Best Location in Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Location in Los Angeles

Hi everyone

I am visiting California for three nights in Sept/Oct this year, from Australia. I would really like to stay somewhere that allows me to see as much as possible in the time that I have.

There are so many different areas to choose from on the hotel websites, I am very confused!!

Our budget is around $200-$250 night. Generally I just like somewhere that is clean and relatively quiet. We won't have a car so parking is not an issue.

We would like to see all the main touristy sites, and also spend a day at Universal Studios. We are visiting Disneyland earlier in our trip so the three days is all for LA!

Would appreciate any help on areas to stay, and also specific hotel recommendations. I get so jaded from reading tripadvisor reviews where everyone just complains all the time!!
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:33 AM

With no car your best bet is to NOT stay in Santa Monica, it's on the far western edge, expensive, and you have very nice beaches in Australia.

Consider Hollywood or Downtown Los Angeles which are on the Metro Red Line. The Red Line has a station at Universal Studios.

Some of the downtown hotels to check are the Omni, Bonaventure, Standard, Biltmore & Marriott. The former New Otani in Little Tokyo is now called Kyoto Grand, you might get a good rate there. There's also a less expensive hotel in Little Tokyo called Miyako.

In Hollywood there's the Renaissance although I'm not sure about the pricing. Also the old Roosevelt has been restored.

Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
without a car in Los Angeles, another vote for Hollywood or downtown. the Fairfax district nearish Farmers Market might also be reasonably convenient?
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My vote is for Westwood, near UCLA campus. Clean, safe, full of restaurants...and good rapid bus transportation to The Getty Center, Beverly Hills and Santa Monica beach. You can get to Universal in about 30 minutes taking one bus, then a quick subway ride.

Hilgard House is a smaller hotel in your budget, but see if you can get a good rate at the new Hotel Palomar.

Flyaway Coach will take you from your LAX terminal to Westwood in about 20 minutes, for $4. No reservations necessary
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Consider the Hilton or Shearton at Universal City, can walk to the Metro Red Line stop at the bottom of the hill and to Universal Studios at the top of the hill. If Westwood, look at the "W" but it might be out of the price range. Downtown the Hilton Checkers is nice and they have a great steakhouse.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 08:43 AM

The LA Times just ran an article about restaurants along the Metro Red/Purple, Blue, and Gold lines.

http://www.latimes.com/theguide/rest...787,full.story
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 09:19 AM

Why are you not renting a car? It would make your visit considerably nicer if you have your own transportation. Parking is not the problem in LA that it is in other large cities.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 09:36 AM

You really ought to consider getting a rental car. I'd also suggest staying Hollywood area.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 07:21 PM

Get a rental car and parking is not a problem here. I've been here for over 40 years.
If I were you, I'd get a rental car and check into the Courtyard Marriott in Old Town Pasadena. I'm from Pasadena and it's a great city and then you could drive to your other places of interests.
Plus, as soon as you walk out of the front door of the hotel, you're in the midst of all the activity...restaurants galore and everyone is out on the street walking at night.
I threw a huge GTG in Pasadena and folks flew from all over the U.S., including as far away as the east coast and Hawaii and for just a weekend. They had a blast and loved the city. Then I drove folks around to sites in both Pasadena and L.A. Pasadena is a very historical and beautiful city...visit the Gamble House, Rose Bowl, Wrigley House, and lots of museums. It's a very managable city and with over 500 restaurants.
If you go over to the Asia forum and pull up my thread..I think it was..Guenmai's Pasadena GTG...or something like that, then you can read the comments. Have fun. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 02:09 AM

Hi Susie from fellow Aussie who faced this exact dilemma a year ago. In the end I had a rental car because I drove down from San Francisco and it was about the sme price to rent it for the three days, four nights I would be in L.A. I thought I might be too afraid to drive it in L.A. but it was no worse than driving in Sydney or Melbourne.

When I booked my hotel, though, I wasn't sure if I would have a car and chose to stay in Hollywood. I stayed at the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel.

http://www.hotelcelebrity.com/

It's right behind the Hollywood Highland center. Nothing flash but perfectly clean and very convenient. I think Hollywod's a good place to stay for just a days as it's on the metro line so you could catch it to get to Universal Studios and also downtown. All the tour buses leave from there.

The disadvantage of driving is that you have to concentrate on driving rather than looking. I drove to Disneyland one day, to Getty Museum and along Mulholland Drive, Sunset Boulevard etc and next day to Warner Bros for studio tour. Parking is usually readily available - and cheap! One disadvantage of Hollywood Celebrity hotel is that the parking area is pretty squeezy and you have to back out into a busy road.

I ended up doing the hop on hop off bus and wished I had done it earlier. It goes to a lot of the 'must do' sights and you can just relax. Of course it all depends on what you want to see/do while there. I still say you can see quite a bit without a car, though you're obviously restricted like you would be in any Australian city.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 09:13 AM

I definitely recommend get a car in LA (San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Boston...you can get away without but much less so in SoCal).

I also recommend Pasadena. I love it there....I stay at the former Ritz-Carlton; you can check if there are any rate deals that brings it down to $250.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 07:02 PM

If you end up staying in Pasadena, the Courtyard Marriott is in the "heart" of things as I stated above. The former Ritz Carlton is beautiful as I've lunched there for many years, BUT it's in a residential neighborhood. You'll then have to drive 10 minutes to Old Town to be in the heart of things and look for parking. At the Courtyard Marriott you can just leave the car in the parking garage until you need it to go into L.A. Happy Travels!