Best idea for long wait for LAX flight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into LAX, spending the night at the Radisson by the airport, and then our next flight isn't until 6pm. We have 3 adults (30's) and two children (10,7). What would they enjoy the most during the day in July (Sunday)can be more than one if feasible)

Visit the Santa Monica Pier
Visit Warner Brothers Studio Tour
Do a very quick Disney Land visit
Go to the Walk of Fame
Visit Manhatten Beach
Have brunch at Nate N' Al's
Eat at Encounter's Restaurant
Other???
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 08:41 PM

Don't consider Disneyland. It will be too crowded on a Sunday, & you will lose too much time in transit to enjoy it.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 07:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Keep the room, grab the swimsuits and towels, and head to Manhatten or Redondo beach, or even Playa del Rey.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Since we will be doing the beach thing at our final destination (Hawaii), I think that would be our last choice unless these beaches really stand out as worth our time. When I asked my girls what they would like to do, they said the WB studio tour, walk of fame, and maybe a celebrity house tour (Do they still do those tours where you drive around and see where celebs live?). First of all, does anyone know if the house tours include any celebrities that my girls would appreciate (Hilary Duff and other teen celebs)? Also, are the above activities even close to each other? Is Nate n' Al's close to WB Studio and Walk of Fame?
Is there a website on LA sites that would answer the location questions? We have never explored the LA area so would prefer to do some of these touristy things rather than a beach. Also, how much time should we allow before heading back to the airport (flight is at 6pm on a Sunday).
Thanks so much!
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 08:17 AM

You could try this website:

www.losangeles.com, under the "tours and attractions" section, or virtualtourist.com -- there's a section on Hollywood.

I don't know if they include teen celebrities on the star tours these days. Time and location-wise, you could do one of the Hollywood bus tours and the Walk of Fame easily.

Nate n' Al's is about 5 miles away in Beverly Hills; the WB studio tour is in Burbank, also not that far away from Hollywood (4 miles or so). Will you have a car?

Anaheim is quite a ways south -- I agree on striking Disneyland off your list, unless you were *dying* to go -- in which case you would get up at the crack of dawn to be there before the gates open. But on a Sunday in July, major crowds.

In my experiences at LAX, the more time you allow, the better. Of course I'm a compulsively early type, so others might have different opinions. I'd say get there 1 1/2 to 2 hours before your flight.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, robhart! That was useful information!
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone know how long the WB tour is?
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 01:25 PM

WB tour is closed Sat and Sun so that's out, it's a behind the scenes tour and most of the staff is not working on weekends. Also, they don't allow children under 8.

Universal Studios Tour is an option if you get an early start. I think it opens around 9:30am in summer and takes about 4-5hours to see most everything.

The Getty Museum is on the westside, not far from your hotel, it's a wonderful only-in-L.A experience for all ages (yes they have a kid's section), you could have brunch in their garden cafe, tour the museum, get a beautiful view of all of L.A. (you have to ride a tram up to the museum which the kids enjoy) and probably still have time to see the Walk of Fame which is maybe 20-25 min away. In fact, I'd see the Walk of Fame first so that you'd be closer to the airport at the end of the day.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 03:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
On a Sunday in July, anticipate heavy traffic wherever you go. This is the height of summer and the tourist season. Give yourself lots of time to get back to LAX for your flight and to turn in your car.

Celebrities don't cooperate by buying homes in a centralized area; they live all over L.A. Many younger and up-and-coming stars prefer the Hollywood Hills which is an area not very conducive to tours (winding, narrow streets). In a rented car, you could drive but also get easily lost.

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss Manhattan Beach (or Hermosa Beach) because you're going to Hawaii. The beach experience here is a bit different. Lots of beach volleyball, roller blading, cycling, surfing. And there is a shuttle bus that runs between the airport hotels and the Manhattan Beach pier; no need for a rented car. Lots of shopping and restaurants to choose from.

I work in Beverly Hills and would not recommend a special trip there just to eat at Nate 'n' Al's.

I would second Tracy's recommendation of the Getty Center. The galleries are not huge, the view is terrific, and the whole experience is very unique.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 08:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you really want to do the walk of fame or hand imprints, I'd suggest you get up early, pre book a celebrity tour (which I believe you can pick up from the Renaissance Hotel in Hollywood), walk down Hollywood Blvd to Grauman's Chinese Theatre, then onto the tour (or the reverse).

I've never taken the tour (although I have been curious to see what it's like -- they go down my street sometimes), but I have heard it's mostly the older stars and former homes of deceased celebrities. Meaning no Hillary Duff or other teenage celebrities as far as I know.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

Is the handprints close to the Walk of Fame? What are the highlights of the Getty Center? How far would the drive be from LAX area to get to the Getty Center?
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 10:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The name "Walk of Fame" is a little misleading, as the "Walk" is spread over a few miles of sidewalks in central Hollywood and not on a simple Point A to Point B path. I think the Chamber of Commerce provides a map (probably sold at the souvenir shops) to identify where the various "stars" are located. The hand- and foot-prints are at Grauman's Chinese Theater on Hollywood Boulevard.

The Getty Center is about 20 minutes (30 minutes in heavy traffic) from LAX. It is considered the richest museum in the world. The exhibit space covers an area of 50,000 square feet (very small for a world-class museum), but the works are excellent. The collection includes ancient sculpture, artifacts, illuminated manuscripts, etc., as well as more contemporary works in oil, other media, photography, etc. Because the space is so limited compared to the extent of the collection, pieces are rotated regularly. At any one time, there is a very nice mix of ancient, old and contemporary. (The Getty Center website will tell you their schedule of exhibits for the next several months.) The setting is stunning in architecture, landscaping and views from the ocean to downtown L.A. to mountains. There is a very good cafeteria and nice eating terrace.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'll kick in a vote for the Santa Monica pier. Maybe breakfast or lunch somewhere along the Venice boardwalk? While technically a beach, these are nothing like Hawaii.

Or maybe find some kind of organized bus tour that would hit all the highlights of downtown, Hollywood, etc.

If you've never been to Los Angeles, and with such a short time, driving around downtown, knowing you have a plane to catch... well it would be kinda nerve-wracking IMO.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Another possibility is maybe walking around Venice Beach. Not so much the being on the beach thing, but walking along with all the stores, restaurants, seeing muscle beach, but especially being on Sunday, the people watching, characters, & street performers will be at the max. Also a playground/park in the area for the kids. & if you do decide to go down on the actual beach & stick your feet in, you are right there. You can sleep in later if you want, spend a couple hours at Venice (not quite as far north as Santa Monica) & be back at the Airport in plenty of time for your flight.