Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Best Ice Skating rink for beginners & Cinderella on Broadway question

Best Ice Skating rink for beginners & Cinderella on Broadway question

Oct 6th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Best Ice Skating rink for beginners & Cinderella on Broadway question

We are bringing our three girls back to NYC (we loved it so much) but this time for a week in Feb. (last time was the summer). We have only ice skated once (on a cruise ship) and we loved it. What is the best rink for beginners? Which rink has the best atmosphere (if there is such a thing for ice skating rinks)?
Another question - I see that Cinderella is coming to broadway. Last trip, we saw Wicked, Lion King, and How to Succeed iin Business, so Cinderella caught my attention. For those that have "Broadway knowledge", would this be a good option for girls ages 12, 13, 15?
Oct 6th, 2012, 06:20 PM

What about the outdoor rink at Rockefeller Center? It is a New York landmark but can be very busy on the weekends. Skaters are at all levels and you can rent skates there.
Oct 6th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

I first thought of that one but then assumed it would be crazy with a long waits. We will be there the week of Feb. 9th - 15th so we can avoid the weekends.
Oct 6th, 2012, 07:27 PM

http://www.chelseapiers.com/sr/general-skating/

Try Chelsea Piers where there are very few tourists because it is a sports complex where they have kids of all different skill levels skating, training, and competing. Years ago when Wayne Gretsky was in NYC he could be seen wtaching his sons playing play Pee-wee.
Oct 6th, 2012, 07:31 PM

Not sure if its open in february, but how about bryant park. I think rockerfeller center can be a bit intimidating with everyone watching.
Oct 7th, 2012, 05:01 AM

Rock Center rink is 1) expensive and 2) crowded almost all the time. And there will be some skaters that are quite good.

If it were me I would head for Bryant Park or the Wollman rink in central park.
Oct 7th, 2012, 07:27 AM

I love the Wollman rink in Central Park.
Oct 7th, 2012, 07:44 AM

I think rockerfeller center can be a bit intimidating with everyone watching.
____

Unless you have your name and address on your back, I would not worry about it.
Oct 7th, 2012, 06:40 PM

Wollman Rink in Central Park has the best atmosphere and is a great place for everyone.

Cinderella doesn't open til January.
Oct 7th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for these ideas. I think I like the Wollman rink idea. We loved Central Park. Maybe we can combine a zoo visit while.
I know Cinderella doesn't open until January but I wasn't sure if there were "predictions" out yet or if the show ran before, in the past, and they were bringing it back, like Annie.
Oct 8th, 2012, 06:05 AM

Cinderella has never been on Broadway -- this will be a first. It was written for Julie Andrews back in the mid 1950's for television, and was done again on TV later. I do think it's a great choice for the girls -- so long as they can disconnect from the Disney version which is totally different music. The score to the Rogers and Hammerstein version which will be on Broadway is FAR superior in my humble opinion, but you will miss "bippity-boppity-boo". And Laura Osnes (one of my favorites) will be simply stunning as Cinderealla.
Oct 8th, 2012, 09:10 AM

Chelsea Piers is great for beginners. Big rink, indoors so you don't freeze, but best of all...great instuctors available without reservations (of course, if you know you are going, make a reservation!!). I have taken two different grandkids there for lessons and both loved them. Also it is a true New York experience since tourists seldom come there. Come to NYC and learn to ice skate, now that is something.
Oct 8th, 2012, 09:32 AM

While Chelsea piers is nice, you could be anywhere. it is so much more fun to skate outside and be in Central Park or Rockefeller Center, imo.
Oct 8th, 2012, 11:10 AM

Agree with jubilada, and of the two, I'd go with Wollman Rink
Oct 8th, 2012, 12:10 PM

Well since you have a week, i'd vote for lessons and lunch at Chelsea Piers and a stroll in that area, and then another day or night they can try Bryant, Rock, or Centr Park.
Oct 8th, 2012, 12:40 PM

Of course it's up to the OP, but I'm always a little amused at these kinds of responses. I took it that the OP wanted pretty "uniquely" New York types of things. It really isn't about ice skating, and the quality of the ice and instructors don't make much difference. What IS unique is being in the middle of Rockefeller Center or Central Park and ice skating.

I don't know where the OP lives, but in most places it's possible to ice skate -- but clearly they don't (they've only skated once) so that seems to tell me that it isn't about ice skating so much as ice skating where there is "atmosphere" of NYC.
Oct 8th, 2012, 12:47 PM

It's clear you haven't been to the Sky Rink at Chelsea Piers Neo
Oct 8th, 2012, 01:06 PM

No, you're right. I've not been there (but have been to Chelsea Piers). I was going by jubilada's post that you could be anywhere along with this picture I found of it:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/sky-rink-at-...piers-new-york
Isn't it basically enclosed?

That picture looks a lot like the rink I know in Ft. Myers, Florida -- or the one I know in Dayton, Ohio. Neither even remotely like skating in Rockefeller Center. But to each his own.
Oct 8th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

We are from New Orleans so definitely no such thing as outside ice skating. As a kid, I was able to ice skate at the mall. We are definitely looking to ice skate outside but Chelsea Piers sounds like a good backup plan if the weather is very cold or "blizzard like", something we never have here in NOLA. We don't even own waterproof boots or anything for snow (need to get some though!).

I do think Cinderella would be good then. My girls could definitely disconnect from Disney. Sounds like it may be a good option for adults also. My are traveling with extended family so I need to see if they would like this option as well.
Oct 8th, 2012, 01:43 PM

If you really want atmosphere, go at night. Skating under the stars is a blast.

Search this Thread