Search

Best hotel location for shopping Magnificent Mile

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best hotel location for shopping Magnificent Mile

Hello:
Please forgive my ignorance. I have never been to Chicago. What is the best hotel location for shopping the magnificent mile? Are there actually hotels inside some of the "malls?" I am looking for a nice, clean room and don't care much about the cost. This is my big "vacation" of the winter. I don't want to stay in some stuffy place,however. Someplace with nice restaurants and where I could walk to all of the shopping. My husband isn't much of a shopper, and he's humoring me, so I need a place where he can hang out if the shopping gets to be too much for him!
Also, do these hotels have parking structures? I'm nervous about getting there. I'm a country girl from Michigan's upper peninsula. I'm sorry if these are repeat questions and I thank anyone willing to help in advance!
Most sincerely,
Michele
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 06:02 AM

hi,
if cost is no issue, there are a lot of hotel options, from the four seasons to the peninsula to the ritz carlton to the drake. these are all along the best area of michigan avenue.
there are also nice options like the sofitel, the fitzpatrick, whitehall and the tremont (the last 3 being smaller, boutique hotels). all hotels have some sort of parking, but it'll cost you about $30 a day.
p.s.: we love the UP! what area of the UP are you from?
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 06:08 AM

Yes, there are hotels right in some of the malls. Water Tower Place has the Ritz Carlton. Four Seasons is at the mall with Saks (I think) or it might be at "900 North" which is home to Bloomies. And there's the Le Meridien Chicago at Northbridge which is home to Nordstroms. All of these malls are an easy walk up and down N Michigan Ave, along with many other stores. It's a great shopping town! But bundle up if you are coming in the winter!

I was just in Chicago last week for 4 days and stayed at the Sheraton. It is a nice hotel, in the "vicinity" of N Michigan Ave but NOT a nice walk in the winter wind. You would want to take a cab. In the summer, you'd be fine there.

I've also stayed at the Marriott, which is right on N Michigan Av and quite close to the Northbridge Nordstroms mall. It is also a nice hotel.

My hubby and I used to go to Chicago the weekend right before Christmas every year and do our shopping. We've stayed at many places over the years. Some have changed owners so it's hard to give specifics. We did really like the Raphael Hotel, which is (was??) located just behind the John Hancock building. A nice smaller hotel. Have not been there for a number of years so it, too, may have changed hands.

DO enjoy Chicago. It's one of my favorite big cities.

Carol
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 06:09 AM

Forgot to add, yes they do have their own parking structures. You'll pay about $30-35 per day for the valet, but for me it's worth it! You won't need to drive once you reach N Michigan Av anyway!
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your prompt responses! It can't be much colder than where I live (Marquette), and I know there isn't as much snow there!
I like the idea of a boutique hotel. I looked at the Hotel Monaco and W, but both seem too far away. I definitely want to be within walking distance to shopping.
My husband usually stays at Westins when for business travel, but I haven't read the best things about the one on Michigan.
Any opinions?
Also, what about the Hotel Burnham? AND THANKS!
Michele
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for those suggestions! I would LOVE to hear your restaurant suggestions, too! We like nice places but we aren't "fancy" people. We're yoopers, afterall!!
What do you all think of the Sofitel for $199/night?
I really want someplace that is first and foremost central to shopping, and secondly very CLEAN with warm, cozy beds.
I read about the Whitehall and the Tremont on Tripadvisor. To tell you the truth, I'm getting more confused by the minute. Nobody seems to agree on any one place! Are these both located close to shopping?
If any of you are willing to email me directly so I can ask you some more specifics, I'd be very grateful!
Thanks,
Michele
[email protected]
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 11:53 AM

There is something so luxurious about being in a hotel attached to a mall - no need to carry your heavy coat or wear your boots, easy elevator ride to drop off packages. As others have mentioned, three malls have directly connected hotels: the Four Seasons hotel is atop the 900 N. Michigan Center, the Ritz Carlton is in Water Tower Place, and the Peninsula connects to North Bridge shopping. The first two are a block away from each other, and are probably the most convenient in terms of accessing the widest variety of stores.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 12:50 PM

Maybe this will help. I was at the Westin on N. Michigan (800 or 900 block, I think) just last weekend for my first stay there. My SPG Gold got us a lovely, large corner room at a very good rate. The hotel was quiet and service was good. We did not use the restaurant - too many other good places to dine. I thought the location was just great for winter. I have stayed a little farther down Michigan in the winter and that was fine, but I preferred the Westin overall for location.

The heavenly beds are very nice. That's one reason I like the Westins.

There is a nice tea every afternoon at the Drake (just behind the Westin - easy walk even in winter).

You'll have a wonderful time.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 06:34 PM

We stayed at the Sheraton on Water Street in December. It overlooks Lake Michigan and Chicago River, has several restaurants/bars, indoor pool, and valet parking. Michigan Avenue shopping is only a block away. If your husband is like mine, he would prefer this kind of hotel to a boutique type. At night the view of the Chicago skyline is beautiful from this area.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 08:26 PM

There are many wonderful places to stay along Michigan Avenue and within a few blocks of that street. From south to north, here are places that I've personally stayed: Fairmont (about a block south of Chicago River), not that convenient for walking but a beautiful hotel that is adjacent to a great health club--Lakeshore Athletic Club--with a very nice spa--Waves; Westin River North (on State Street right on the north side of the Chicago River), great location right by House of Blues Hotel and within walking distance of many great shops, restaurants, and entertainment venues; Marriott Hotel, in the NorthBridge shopping complex right on Michigan Avenue, excellent location; Ritz-Carlton Hotel, just east of Water Tower Center, excellent location; Four Seasons Hotel, the top floors of 900 N Michigan Building, where Bloomingdale's is located; Drake Hotel, close to Ritz and Four Seasons, can be booked with great rates on Hilton's website; Radisson Suites, on Huron east of Michigan Avenue, a bit off the beaten path but an excellent value. Parking will be expensive at any property. Expect to pay at least $30 per day. We use cabs to readily get around the area. Hope this helps!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Wow! You are all so kind to offer such great advice. I think Sunbabe must know my husband, because it's true that I would prefer a boutique hotel while he probably wouldn't.

I'm trying to narrow down the field, and I have more questions! We are going the second week of March so who knows the weather. As I've stated my primary concern is location to shopping (remember, I live in the boonies with only a Walmart, JCPenney, etc.).
I love the idea of staying in a hotel inside a mall but the Four Seasons sounds way too stuffy. The Ritz Carlton is more money than I care to spend (I'd rather buy more shoes!).
I'm looking at the Le Meridien, the Sofitel, and Westin on Michigan (for its location). The Fitzpatrick gets many good reviews on tripadvisor. Of these four which has the best location and the best restaurants nearby.
I would actually like to stay at the Westin River North. Can anyone tell me if this is too much of a walk to get to shopping?
Thanks for all the great advice. I sincerely appreciate every post.
Michele
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:29 AM

Hi, fellow Michigander! Love the UP (we live in the Detroit burbs), we get up your way as often as possible. A few years ago, I stayed at the Westin River North on our first trip to Chicago. I wouldn't really recommend the location to you. It's quite a walk to the shopping area you are interested in, at least for a quick pop-in back to the hotel when you are tired. Two things that were good about this "budget" lodging: an indoor pool on the top floor, and free parking (the only place I could find then where we wouldn't have to pay.) But that was a budget trip with three girlfriends. When my husband and I went the following summer we stayed at the Omni and loved the hotel and the location. There is so much to do in Chicago, you will be like a kid in a candy store! By the way, a previous poster recommended Le Colonial, which was one of our favorite restaurants.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:42 AM

I've read all the postings and my humble opinion is:

Stay at the Westin on Michigan Ave - the building is smack in between a beautiful neighboorhood, off the lake and dead center for the best shopping and restaurants. You will be happy you did.

Dining - wonderful food, ambiance and biz casual dress:
Seafood - downstairs at the Drake Hotel
Beef - Mike Ditka's
Italian - Rosebud
Sandwiches - the Visitor's Center

View - have a cocktail in the John Hancock building - Signature Room

People Watching - The Ritz Carlton 2nd floor in the Salon or further back by the windows; have a snack and beverage

Best for Dinner and View - Spiaggia

*Everything I suggested is close proximity to shopping the magnificant mile and your hotel.

Have a good trip.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 05:14 AM

Back again... didn't realize my errors about which hotels were at which malls. Sorry!

I've not stayed at the Westin on Mich Av, but would second the location. Yes, it is right across the street from Bloomies and a very short hop to Water Tower. You will find yourself walking up and down Mich Ave as there are sooo many shops/malls/eateries, etc.

I happen to love the heavenly beds also. Slept like a baby my first night out, which I normally do NOT do. I need to get settled into a new bed.. but not the heavenly ones at Westin.

Second Spiaggia and Su Casa restaurants. Also, 95th (?) floor of John Hancock, which is right across from Westin) has a lovely restaurant with a view of the city like no other.

There is a Park Hyatt, which is located in the old water tower "park" on Mich Av and it has a very chic restaurant overlooking the "park" on about the 4th floor. It's pricey but very special. You might try it for lunch one day.

If you are truly shopping for SHOES, you MUST go to Nordstroms. They have the biggest shoe dept of any store!

Enjoy!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:01 PM

I recently spent a fun weekend shopping there and stayed at the Sofitel for the first time.Due to the extremely cold weather that weekend, I assumed we would spend more time than usual in the room. When I asked the clerk at check in the price difference between our room and a suite, he upgraded us to a lovely suite at no extra charge.We ate at their restaurant one evening and it was delicious.Also ate breakfast there as well.The Sofitel is a block or two from the major shopping and was not a bad walk (even in sub zero weather!).I will definitely stay there next visit.We enjoyed a drink at the John Hancock and watched the sunset(get there early).LOVE Chicago!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

You people are all so kind! I know about Nordstroms and shoes because I buy online all of the time! I am so excited about this trip, as you can tell.
It seems the Westin is a good choice for our needs. Can anyone tell me exactly what to ask for when making a reservation? Someone mentioned a corner room. Anything else I should request?
THANK YOU ALL!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:20 PM

If your husband or yourself have an SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) gold card, you can expect an upgrade. You mentioned that he likes Westins, so I'm thinking he might have a card. I reserved on the internet and made sure my card number was entered. I also asked in the "special request" section if the hotel honored upgrades for gold.

When I checked in, I asked if the hotel honored upgrades for SPG gold. I believe the room had been pre-assigned even though the website showed my room as being a "traditional blah, blah..."

If you are not a member of the Starwood Preferred, I'd suggest you join on-line before you make the reservation. My experience is that Starwood is good with upgrades for their members. And if you have a platinum American Express card, you can request your SPG card be upgraded to gold right away. I think there's a special SPG category for AAA members as well, although I'm not familiar with the details.

Finally, this is not a busy season in Chicago along Michigan Ave. The cab drivers were bemoaning that! So it's a good time to ask for what you'd like to have. Occupancy rates may be lower now and there may be opportunities for a better room. Of course, kindness and respect toward all employees - that's a given.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:24 PM

Oh, and there's a Nordstrum outlet across from the main Marshall Field's at Randolph and Washington. Do they have shoes!!!