Best Hawaiian island for a first time visit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are considering Hawaii for our next vacation and was wondering which island would be best for us. We like good beaches, nice scenery, watersports, exploring, nice restaurants...and we'd like to get a true sense of Hawaii.

In the Caribbean, we really liked Aruba and the Cayman Islands.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 08:28 AM

Maui was a great experience for a first time trip to Hawaii.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 08:34 AM

Agree Maui is a great 1st time visit choice. Puzzled by the concept: "true Hawaii"
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 08:56 AM

I agree that Maui is a very good choice. I'd also suggest looking into Kauai. Whereas Maui has more activities and restaurants, in my opinion Kauai is the most beautiful of the 3 islands I've spent time on (Maui, Kauai & Hawaii or "The Big Island"). Of course it's all relative - all of Hawaii is breathtakingly beautiful!

There's a wonderful town on the North Shore of Kauai called Hanalei. It has a lot of character, several wonderful small restaurants, and a handful of shops. To get there you have to drive over a bunch of one lane bridges, and since the bridges are too narrow for tour buses the town seems to have a more authentic, less touristy feel than some other places you'll visit.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 08:56 AM

I went to Oahu for my first trip and thought it was GREAT - just make sure you see the whole island, especially the Winward Coast and North Shore - so beautiful! The nightlife in Waikiki was a nice balance to the quiet parts of the island. Now it's Kauai in two weeks!
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

JohnD~

I just meant which island will give us the best taste of Hawaii.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 10:57 AM

Aloha Kristen, still pleasantly puzzled about what you are seeking.

If you had asked for the best view that screams Hawaii, I would respond the northshore of the island of Kauai.

If you had asked for the best taste of Hawaii in terms of food, I believe Oahu has more restaurants than any other to choose from, and may cater more to traditional images of Hawaii (e.g. Waikiki, Polynesian Cultural Center).

If you had asked for the best Hawaiian island to see a volcano, the only currently active one is on the Big Island of Hawaii.

All considered, I think the best blend of the above for the first timer will be found on Maui.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I think Maui it will be when we decide to go. Maybe Kauai too if it's easy to island hop.

Any hotel/condo recommendations? Something nice on a good beach. Not the most expensive but definitely a place with ncie tropical landscaping and nice rooms in a good location.

Thanks!
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 01:18 PM

well, we have been to Maui and the "big island". If you want the lush green, palm trees, golf courses, then go to South Maui. There is a Four Seasons, Kea Lani (our favorite) and some others. If you want more of the volcano, black lava rock beaches (no sand ones) then go to the big island. We stayed at the Prince Hotel, which was beautiful, but not near anything. To go to dinner, it was a 20-30 min. drive. However, that is how most of the big island is, unless you stay in town, but then you have the crowds and not much beach. have fune