Best family eats in Oahu

Search

Best family eats in Oahu

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best family eats in Oahu

Will be travelling to hawaii first time in July with hubby and a toddler. I have been reading a lot of threads about Oahu but still looking for recommendations as to the best family places to eat (including breakfasts) on the island.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 01:20 PM

If all else fails, hit the food court at the Ala Moana Mall. It's huge....
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 01:43 PM

We (me, DH and 7yo DD) were in Waikiki in March.

We had a great (and cheap, thanks to a coupon in one of the many tourist magazines) breakfast at Moose McGillycuddy's on Lewers.

Had a forgetful meal at Cheeseburger on Beachwalk - possibly because we had just arrived, were exhausted and starving - and the service was lousy; and they couldn't (wouldn't?) turn down the blaring music.

Tried to have a quick breakfast at Denny's before heading to the Big Island but they were slooooooowwwwwwww.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 02:44 PM

iowamom hit it right all around. Moose's serves a decent breakfast, lunch and dinner at decent prices. Sometimes the "moose" is out on Kalakaua Ave. handing out coupons, but you can also find coupons in the visitors guides too. Great eggs benedict and potato skins.

Cheeseburgers, even the ones on Maui always have lousy service, greasy food, and I don't understand why people still flock there.

Denny's are notorious for slow service in Waikiki and Maui too.

If you are driving around the island, you will see lots of Zippy's restaurants. Their dine-in restaurants are always clean and reliable. They also have a self-serve take-out counter with a smaller menu at slightly cheaper prices, plus a bakery. The chocolate dobash and apple Napples (turnover pies) are worth the stop.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 03:11 PM

Dukes is fun, offers a family menu, a breakfast buffet, is right on the beach, and is kinda neat...
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 04:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you asking about restaurant in Waikiki? Or on other parts of Oahu?
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 12:26 PM

We recently discovered Zippys on Oahu (Kailua). I was put off by the name, but a local friend recommended it. They have very good Saimin, baked goods and carry out. It would be a perfect family place.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips. Much appreciated. We will be staying at the HHV. I have been told the food in the village is not the best and pricey. I did read about the food court in Ala Moana SC which sounds like a good option. We will be in Oahu for two weeks and intending on hiring a car for a few days to explore the island (it will be challenging as we drive on the opp side of the road in Australia!). So we will be able to get around a bit. However, any recomendations for good family eateries in Waikiki and close to HHV will be appreciated especially for the first couple of days. Also pls provide location of these eateries (street names)if possible as it will be our first time in Hawaii (and USA). Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 12:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Besides the one at Ala Moana mall there's also a very good Food Court at International Marketplace and the Royal Hawaiian shopping center.

I wrote a long thread about cheap eats after my trip last November. I'll "top" that one for you. I had all kinds of wonderful inexpensive meals, all would be appropriate for a family.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM

Just down and across the street from HHV is the Wailana Coffee Shop that has modest prices and pretty good food. They serve all day, have a salad bar, and locals eat there,
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 12:54 AM

You may want to try the restaurant next door in Hale Koa hotel. It's a military hotel but I've heard anyone can go in for a meal and it's very reasonably priced.

Also as suze already mentioned, the Food Courts at International Marketplace and the Royal Hawaiian center ( both on Kalakaua Avenue) are very good. You can chose between all kinds of cuisine- Japanese, Hawaiian, Chinese, pizza etc.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 06:00 AM

We were there last November and ate all around the island for the most part - but without a doubt my favorite place was Boots & Kimo's Homestyle Kitchen for breakfast in Kailua. I still dream of those pancakes and I do not even LIKE pancakes!
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 06:32 AM

Maybe thess links on Tripadvisor & Urbanspoon with a map will help.
WAiluna Coffeehouse is very good. Best breakfast w/ best fresh cold papaya.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...hu_Hawaii.html

http://www.urbanspoon.com/npr/37/362...heap-Eats.html
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 03:24 PM

California Pizza Kitchen is always good and on my last visit in 2009, there were a lot of cheap breakfast places. One of then is right across the street from the HIV. It might have been an IHOP
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 07:34 PM

oops...that was suppose to be..."right across thes treet from HHV" not HIV......
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 08:35 PM

Just across the street from the HHV is an International House of Pancakes (I HOP.) It's reliable breakfast/lunch food and within easy walking distance of I HOP, there is also a Subway within walking distance (a bit longer that IHOP) but also across the street and fairly close. We also bought lots of snacks/fruit/yogurt/cereal at the little convenience stores that are everywhere (can't remember the name) including one that is within the HHV property. It's a more affordable way to buy snacks and breakfast food - provided that your room at HHV has a mini fridge - we stayed there too, ours did.

We just visited last June and still miss it - as this is about exactly a year later - Hawaii is truly magical - hope you will venture away from the hustle and bustle of Honolulu for a bit.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 02:43 PM

I'm glad to hear that Wailana Coffee House is still there; it's a great place, especially if you want to eat at odd hours due to time zone changes.

Hale Koa is only for people connected with the US armed services http://www.halekoa.com/rooms_reserva...ility_book.cfm
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 03:25 PM

The Shorebird, which Suze recommended in her restaurant thread, is close to the Hilton. The breakfast buffet is really good. the restaurant is open to the beach, which is a very nice way to start the day. On past visits we have used the dollar-off coupons found in the tourist magazines you can pick up on the street, and if you ask when you enter the restaurant they will give you coupons.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 10:10 PM

aloha,

you are right that if you not connected to military , you cannot stay in Hale Koa, but you can still eat there...
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 01:25 AM

Here are some places I reviewed for pancakes and eggs benedicts. Note that while I was focused on one item each time, these are great spots for breakfast.

http://tinyurl.com/mmxpancakes
and
http://tinyurl.com/mmxeggs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -