Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best ethnic restaurant for LUNCH in west 40s (NYC)

Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Title says it all. Hell's Kitchen, the Mexican place, doesn't appear to be open for lunch. Would like Mexican, Thai or Indian, but will settle for Brazilian. Would like both good food and pleasant place (not a hole in the wall but it doesn't have to be glamorous). Thanks!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:22 AM

I can't personally make any recommendations but you can search menupages.com and chowhound.com for ideas.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:34 AM
Neopolitan

Interesting new Asian:
Xing on 9th near 51st:
http://www.xingrestaurant.com/xinginfo.html

Ariba, Ariba also at 9th near 51st is good Mexican, but maybe only a stop above being a "hole in the wall".

Brazil Grill at 48th and 8th is quite popular. We had a nice late dinner there one night.
http://www.brazilgrillny.com/

Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:02 AM

I highly recommend Breeze on 9th between 45-46, it's Thai French fusion, have eaten there twice, excellent food, nice atmosphere and reasonably priced.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:42 AM
Melrose

I forget the street it is on, but "Rice and Beans" was the best Brazialian rest. we ever went to. My hubby and went there with our daoughter and we all just loved it. A little on the small side, but the food, portions,.service. All worth it.Have fun! We love NYC, hope to go back there next year.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:49 AM
Neopolitan

Rice and Beans is indeed good. I failed to mention it because I was pretty sure it falls into the "hole in the wall" category. Very good -- but still a "hole in the wall".

Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:39 AM

Just there and really, really liked Bay Leaf (Indian) on 55th bet 6th/5th - $13.95 lunch buffet.
The Thai place on 9th @ about 54th listed highly in Zagat has great lunch specials in the $6.95 - $8.95 range.
M
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:18 PM
Melrose

Neo I would consider it a little dark and cramped, ( a ok hole in the wall @ best) but, it was clean and I would go back, my whole family and friends that we went with would too. We had FANTASTIC food., and the waitress could not of been more helpful! Are there other places that have as good a food ( Brazilian) and not quite so small? We know some people going there this Fall, and they love this food.

Old May 4th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for great suggestions. I intend to try them all! We wound up going to Utsav for their buffet lunch and it was fantastic. I've been there for dinner and thought it was good but pricey. This lunch was outstanding. Nice choices and well done.
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:18 AM

Good choice!

We went to Utsav over Easter weekend and really enjoyed the buffet there.

I nearly always skip dessert but as it was included in the buffet I tried the mango mousse and it was delicious!