Reload this Page >

best craggy coast place

Search

best craggy coast place

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2001, 04:21 AM
nancy

best craggy coast place

we are going to take our two boys (4 and 8) to maine in late august. please give us suggestions for a great family vacation site.
we want to be on the coastline and not too far north. help!

Old May 19th, 2001, 04:43 AM
Liz

For anybody, but especially families, Acadia and Bar Harbor can't be beat. There are hiking and biking trails, ranger walks and talks, and wonderful views at every turn. We try to go there as often as we can, and never get tired of it. If you like ocean, mountains, and not too hot weather, it's heaven!

Old May 19th, 2001, 05:31 AM
kathy

Hi Nancy, I agree that Arcadia area of Maine is beautiful but it is far up North. It is appox 5 hours up the Maine border. I live in York Beach Maine and it's a long drive from here. I would recommend the Rockport, Rockland, Camden area of Maine. It's three hours into Maine (four hours from Boston). That area will give you a taste of the real Maine. Don't miss Owl's Head Light, the Schooner's in Camden Harbour or Rockport harbour with the Statue of Andre the Seal. I would bring some warm clothes, nights in late August can get cool (it's cool here now, temp has not reached 60 for four days) Have fun in Maine and if you need any more info please feel free to email me. Kathy

Old May 19th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Beth

Yikes! That's still far north. Consider Rye, NH on the Maine border. The boys can explore the paths and tidepools of Odiorne Point, have fun for a day at Water Country in Portsmouth, and even go to the Hampton arcades if it rains. If you really want Maine, check out Sparhawk hotel in Ogunquit. That's a quaint town near Perkins Cove and the Marginal Way that would please the whole gang.

Old May 19th, 2001, 09:45 AM
nancy

all the suggestions so far are great. speaking of ogunquit, i went when i was a little girl and i remember the place we stayed in was a big inn sort of thing and there was a desert place nearby that they called an ice-cream smorgasbord. that was one of the best times i've had. thanks for reminding me.

Old May 19th, 2001, 09:53 AM
NotToBe

Not trying to be a pain here, but I thought I'd share with you this little trick for spelling dessert vs desert, as it is so memorable: dessert (what you eat after dinner) has more S's because you always want more!

Old May 19th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Kathy

Nancy, That ice cream place in Ogunquit closed last year. They are opening something in it's place but I'm not sure what yet. I live in the next town from Ogunquit and it has beautiful beaches but it is very crowded and not really for small children and it does not really have the craggy coast. That starts above Kennebunk. Kathy

Old May 20th, 2001, 08:08 AM
nancy

thanks very much kathy for all the great info.. i was at the ice-cream smorgasbord place about 30-35 years ago.
do you think the one that just closed was the same one?

Old May 20th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Shari

The restaurant's name is the Viking and it has been closed. It is now a new restaurant called Gourmet Express. If your kids like the beach, Ogunquit is a great place to go. There is many things to do in the area and I am sure your kids wouldn't be bored here. As you have probably guessed I live in Qgunquit and although it can get crowded it is still a great little town. I also agree with Liz that the Acadia, Bar Harbor area is a wonderful spot.