Reload this Page >

Southwest/Mex Restaurant Phoenix

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2001, 08:26 AM
V H

coming to Phoenix end of May. looking for some good southwest/mexican restaurants. any suggestion?

Old May 12th, 2001, 09:01 AM
beth

LOTS of suggestions. Depending on where you are staying in the valley, everyone you ask will have a different opinion. Everyone has their favorites.
Here's my list:
Los Dos Molinos serves New Mexico style mexican food. Can be very hot food. There are a couple of them in town, I usually try the one on South Central. Not the best area, but the best food. It is probably one of your best bets if you are staying in central Phoenix. You may need to wait quite a while on busy nights.
There are several locations of Serranos around the Southeast part of town.
If you don't mind a chain, Macayo's is not too bad. Or the Aunt Chilada's restaurants near some of the Hilton Pointe resorts are good.
There are hundreds of small local restaurants and taco shops. One of my favorite taco shops is Guedo's in downtown Chandler. It has really been renovated in the past couple of years and has nice atmosphere in the evenings. You'll occasionally see local celebrities here, it's quite popular.
In Scottsdale, many eat at Los Olivos, or Julio G's. Julio G's is owned by the people that started Garcia's and then sold out to the corporate "Garcia's of Scottsdale" that popped up everywhere, but lots its taste in the process.
All of these are in the phone book and fairly easy to find.

Old May 13th, 2001, 09:32 PM
david

Los Dos Molinas has a second vote; their second restaurant is in Mesa. Be forewarned...food is VERY hot...very popular. The family just opened a restaurant in New YOrk City that is doing great from what I hear.
(little tidbit, restaurant does not celebrate cinco de Mayo as part of the family is French). Personally, if you are in the Scottsdale I like Ajo Als...tehy have two locations. For southwestern food, you can try Z Tejas and there's another popular one in the Borgota I think, which I cnat think of...if it comes back to me I'll post again

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:16 AM
Shannon

I'll second Z Tejas for southwestern. On the Border is also good. Whereever you are in the Phoenix area, there will be endless possiblities for Mexican food. You shouldn't have any problem finding a good one!

Old May 14th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Karen

I would second Z Tejas and add Sam's Cafe and there are several locations, so check in the phone book for the closest.

Old May 18th, 2001, 11:52 PM
david

another southwestern restaurant is Cafe Terra Cota.
Remember: Southwestern is defferent than Mexican

Old May 20th, 2001, 08:06 AM
steve

Los Olivos in downtown Scottsdale

Old May 20th, 2001, 08:34 AM
Sandy

For authentic spicy New Mexican cuisine, you can't beat Richardson's. It's a small place, so you might have to wait during peak hours, but it's worth it. It's at 1582 E. Bethany Home Road, not far from Hwy.51. Another good place is the Carlsbad Tavern, which is more of a restaurant than a bar. It's at 3313 N. Hayden (south of Osborn).

Old May 20th, 2001, 09:51 AM
Hernan

Why anyone would want to eat at a national chain restaurant when looking for unique regional cuisine is beyond me. Eating at On The Border is like going to Rome and looking for an Olive Garden restaurant. The food at Garcia's and Macayo and Chevy's and all those places can be found in Green Bay, Wisconsin or anywhere else.
If you're in AZ to find regional Mexican food eat someplace local like Los Dos Molinos or the Teepee or one of the others mentioned above.