Best City for 40-Somethings?

Old Mar 10th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best City for 40-Somethings?

This is a Friday night kind of question - - but after living in boring, boring, mid-sized suburbia all of my life, I'm ready to relocate to a city. Really.

I've visited Chicago and Seattle many times and love both. Love New York, but the cost of living there scares the bejeezus out of me.

I've been to Miami exactly once. Seemed full of beautiful young people and obnoxious retirees. Loved the climate, *love the beach*, but I just don't think it would be right for me.

I would welcome an insider's persepctive on these and other cities - especialy if you're in your 40's. Baseline requirements would be a good economy (jobs!); thriving cultural scene. Parks and public transportation a definite plus. Not really interested in "bars" or "nightlife," although a bohemian vibe would be a plus. FYI - Please don't suggest "retirement" destinations like San Antonio, Arkansas, et all.

Many thanks for honest, thoughtful sugggestions.

Old Mar 10th, 2006, 07:38 PM

Would you consider a retirement destination like Phoenix?
8-)
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 07:45 PM

Look into Austin and then come back with your questions!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 07:53 PM
JRP

I might suggest taking a very close look at Denver. All of the above requirements would be met, and so much more.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

AustinTraveler -- I'm *from* Central TX originally, and brother lives in San Marcos, so very familiar w/ the area. It's a great place. But truthfully -- the atmosphere is a little too "hipper-than-thou" -- but perhaps that is the trade-off. Public transport is non-existent. And is the job market good there? Brother is always grousing about the traffic and malignant growing pains. It's a definite maybe --

Phoenix .. hmm. Not even on my radar. JamalTay - can you elaborate?

And Denver. Hmm -- why not? I do love love the outdoors.

Is it possible to elaborate on the benefits as I outlined earlier?

thanks .. these are all good suggestions!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

PS --

JRP: Are you familiar w/ Denver's neighborhoods? OPen to suggestions, although I'm partial to "vintage" neighborhoods --
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 04:05 AM

What about Atlanta? Warm climate but still a good change of seasons. Good public transportation, parks, vintage neighborhoods, easy to fly in and out of.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 04:09 AM

I'd pick Denver or Seattle.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 05:19 AM

What kind of work are you qualified to do? It is nice to spend a Friday night day(night)dreaming about moving but if you are best qualified for some sort of arcane work it might be helpful to know what that is.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 05:52 AM

Vintage Denver-Wash Park--Craftsman bungalows. Denver has done a pretty good job of preserving all of its Victorian and Craftsman charm and architecture.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 08:11 AM

San Francisco should be on your radar screen.

-Bill
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 09:01 AM

Portland, Oregon might be an option if you're considering Seattle. The housing prices are more reasonable in the Portland area. Good public transportation system, beautiful parks and would offer a lot for your age range.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 09:14 AM

Seattle or San Francisco
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 09:17 AM

elaboration for Seattle as requested:

good economy/jobs -yes
thriving cultural scene -yes
parks -yes
public transportation -yes
bohemian vibe -absolutely
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 09:21 AM

I wouldn't classify Denver as having a bohemian vibe. What about Boulder?
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 10:06 AM

New York is the obvious answer. True, it's expensive - but everything it has to offer more than makes up for the changes in lifestyle you will probbly have to make (smaller place to live, no car etc).

Don;t scare yourself unnecessarily - remember salaries are much higher in NYC too - and a real neighborhood - a NICE one - doesn;t have the same prices a tourist sees in midtown. (And the job market here is extremely strong for people with marketable skills.)

Why not do some vicarious exploring (NY Times Real Estate, Monster.con etc) before giving up on it?
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 11:55 AM

Well, a few years ago I visited friends of friend in an intown Denver neighborhood that decidedly bohemian. Not remember the name and perhaps it has changed, but I was pleasantly surprised and would love to live there.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 12:24 PM
TahitiTams

HI..
San Diego! Gorgeous beaches, the weather is almost always beautiful (expect today, it's pouring rain)
Fun City with alot of things to do.
The Real Estate market is slowing down and maybe in the next year, things will somewhat be affordable..
People are really nice here and I think that stems from having a happy beautiful city with gorgeous weather!

Old Mar 11th, 2006, 12:36 PM

I'm sorry, but this kind of question really bothers me. Given that you know your criteria, and that you want to be in or very near a big city, there is only a handful of cities that could meet your desires. Most of them have been named, but I would bet you already know them all (or should know, if you have done your homework).

You are apparently asking for "insider" information on these cities. In 95 percent of the cases, the "insiders" will tell you that where they live is the greatest--no matter whether it's Miami or Anchorage. So you end up with little or no useful information.

May I suggest another approach? Think about (or even make a list of) your key requirements, then narrow the selections down to only two or three. You can do it, I'm sure--and I'm also sure that you don't really want other people deciding your future for you. Then come back to the forum and ask for specific information such as "What's the average professional wage in city XYZ?" Or how much does a 2500 sq ft home cost in city ABC? I think you will get much more meaningful answers.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 01:29 AM

This is one of THOSE questions...LOL. Where would I be happy living? I want to have affordable housing. In a good neighborhood. With lots of beautiful scenery. Where the cost of living is low and the schools are good. Temperatures should be not too hot but not too cold. Anyway, emphasis on affordable and picturesque. Anyone know of any good deals?

Brookside, seriously I know it was a Friday night kind of question. Did any of the suggestions trip your trigger?....what do you think? I'm curious what you're thinking. My husband thinks Panama or elsewhere in Central America might fit the bill. Have you come to any conclusions?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information