Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

best beaches that aren't full of tourists?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to research which islands/beaches on the S.C. coast would be best for people looking for beautiful beaches, somewhat upscale accomodations and some water/adventure activities, but want to stay away from tourist attractions/tourist-heavy areas. The hypothetical trip would take place in October. So far I've been looking at Isle of Palms, Folly Beach, Kiawah Island, Edisto Island and Sullivans Island. Can anyone comment on the character of these islands or others that might work? Thanks!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:41 AM
GoTravel

Any one of those beaches will not be crowded with tourists because October is peak golf season not beach season. Water temps and air temps in the mid 80s.

Hint: looking for uncrowded beaches? Go off season.

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 08:18 AM
dln

GoTravel is absolutely right about October being the off-season. All the kids will have been safely back to school by then. Edisto Island is the most isolated of the beaches. The rest are closer to Charleston. Since you have indicated an interest in upscale accomodations, perhaps you'd want fine dining as well? Charleston will definitely offer that to you, and it's an easy drive in from anywhere but Edisto.

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 08:36 AM

Or go up the coast to Litchfield by the Sea. Wild Dunes would be a good pick of the Charleston area beaches. The absolutely most beautiful time of the year to go to the beach.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - one more thing: we definitely prefer b&b/lodge/small hotel accomodations to large resorts with lots of package-type deals. Which of the islands is best for this?
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:30 AM

I've been to most of those on your list except Edisto but can only speak in relative detail about Folly since it is where we spend most of our time. Folly is about a 15 minute drive from Charleston (depending on traffic, which is sometimes terrible due to accidents on the road to and from Folly). It is a very small beach town. Our favorite activity there is surfing which is particularly good near the pier. You'll see alot of surfers in this area. There is only 1 hotel on island that I'm aware of and that is the Holiday Inn. Large, pink building smack dab in the middle on ocean. The rest of the island is condo's or rental houses.

There is a beautiful light house which I think is on the North side of the island. Some pretty good shells by the lighthouse.

All the places you mentioned are really beautiful. I might be wrong but my perception is Folly is most popular with the younger crowd but at that time of the year it might not matter. All are close to Charleston which makes for a good day trip (or evening) if your tired of the beach scene.

Weather should be really nice that time of year. Of those you have listed the only one I've not been to is Edisto and its on my list to do. I understand they have a nice sized dolphin population there.

From the list of your wants it sounds like Kiawah would be the best choice.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:10 PM

Since my parents live on Edisto Island, I can comment on it...it is definately the most laid back island - not commercial at all. However, there are no hotels, B&Bs or lodges there - only accommodations are beach houses, condo rentals & some state park cabins. Also, the only watersport activity that I know of is parasailing in the bay. However, the beaches are beautiful and, in October, definately not tourist-heavy. In my opinion, it's the best beach in SC because it's not a tourist trap or hoity-toity like Hilton Head or Isle of Palms...
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 06:27 AM

Water adventure? I'm not sure, but I would think those type of businesses might be closed for the season by October. As a SC native, I'm done getting in the ocean by October. Brrrr.

Agree that beaches will not be crowded then. My take on Folly vs. Isle of Palms/Sullivans Island is: Folly= more old-fashioned beach town + surfer dudes + less $$$ houses to rent. IOP= more crowded, more expensive+ beach bars + volleyball crowd.